GoPro Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
9,376 Posts
No one here wants to give you a hard time. We are here to help..

A few minutes ago new firmware was released for my Yi action cam. I simply accepted the firmwara and the camera did the rest. When it completed new firmware was loaded and done.

If you are experiencing troubles. get the last firmware. Place in to the SD card I do not care if it is a class 2 with files on it

The Card has 2 existing file folders DO NOT put in there. Place to the main root and "UPDATE" with the three files.

Simply press the on button. That is it. I suggest to use your wifi its as simple as 1, 2, 3,

I totally understand this is the factory firmware I do not have older firmware, then you are at the mercy of GoPro.com and their hub.

All today have some sort of way to record your troubles.

Like I said, never upset it's just something simply overlooked.

Fish

I sit with an update on my camera All I have to do is press Install DONE!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
It seems you don't want to put in the work it takes to do this. There is a learning curve on all electronics. Why are you formatting in your Nikon camera? Reformat the card for your Gopro using your computer as shown above. I fail to see why this is so hard.
Way to insult me. I stated several times I did it that way.. When one card(after 10 times of reformatting it) would not work, I switched to my camera is desperation with the other. AFTER reformatting with my camera, it actually uploaded the files but the update failed. So actually.. the closest I came to getting this working was with my odd approach to a reformat.

Thanks for offending though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have now reformatted both cards to the point they will no longer reformat and are basically tiny paper weights.. So now this wonderful go pro has cost me about $40.

Going to walmart, buying a totally different SD card. If that doesnt work I will give up.

I appreciate everyone's help(other than the guy who I feel insulted me.. notice I said I FEEL because no doubt someone else will say it was constructive citiscism or something similar). This has just been a major headache.. What sucks more is I cannot return the device :/

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Ok, well from our perspective it seems you are so pissed off at the device that you are not being objective. I am trying to be helpful but it makes it hard when someone seems so impatient.

Prior to you just chucking the device in the garbage I will ask one last question.

Have you tried a hard reset yet?

·
Administrator
9,376 Posts

·
Administrator
9,376 Posts
I have a camera called the Yi2 4K the firmware is named 1050358663, in order to install it, you have to rename it to firmware.bin that is it. and when you place in the camera and on turn on it will ask to update or cancel. that simple?

I do hope you have made progress and keep us posted. I have my say here and I don't take sides. I just do not see the difficulty in it.

I have always found it best if one does not know what they are doing to request a Firmware upgrade by the company themselves. And they be more than happy to do it wat no charge. If Gopro.com Declines then it is time not to be upset at a few here but to let gopro.com know that you are going to be a lost Customer.

Fish

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just an update. I made SOME progress. Just purchased a PNY SD Card, worked fine for capturing things.. So if you have a sandisk extreme 64gb with 90mbs speed and its orange and half red with camera problems? Thats the culprit. Sadly both cards are now fried, even the sandisk reformat tool failed. PNY seems to be working. I'll update if I can get the update to work but to be honest I'm just relieved I got SOMETHING to work.

Thanks all for help. Update soon, going to try some of the above methods.

·
Administrator
9,376 Posts
So tell us where you got that fake card from cause that is what it sounds like to me
I have both the Sandisk Extreme 90 mb read/write speed, and PNY liime card.

Keep us all updated.

PAt yourself on the back Fish you did good

FISH

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know an old post, but this issue is new to me.
Here's my post from another thread, hit me up with a reply or PM if you think it's worth it, because I have tried everything, including what is listed here, and yes, I tried new SD cards / batteries.
Nothing has worked and the f'n thing is like brand new, used a handful of times.
I will be giving this thing another week, then it goes against the wall with brute force.

Here's my other post:

This is a known issue and I am here to let you guys know GoPro does not give 2 sh*ts about their products or users.
Tech support responds like a recorded message, and email support? what a joke.
And before the flames start, I have tried every trick I could find on the net, it's just a bad unit. I used it only 5-6 times in the last 2 years,...and I am pissed by the apathy they have shown me.

My issue:
unit was bought new in 2015, 2 year warranty, used a hand full of times, stowed in a hard case in garage when not in use.
I go to use it and it just doesn't work.
The camera is in pristine condition, and I am not one of those people who breaks something and then blames the manufacturer, ****, I own a business myself, I get it. But this is just F'd up.
I'm not a pro photographer, just like most of the users out there, and use the unit only for personal stuff.
It was stored without battery / SD card in it.
Went to fire it up and check for updates, (I have drones / other electronics, so I'm not a complete motard to this stuff), and the unit freezes up after 2-3 button pushes.
Connects to camera, will NOT update or work at all.
Computer gives "bad descriptor" message, so can't be seen on computer, (tried 2 different computers), really had to call in the heavy weight friends of mine to see what was going on behind the scenes.
Tried new SD cards / batteries, same sh*t.
It's just a bad f'n unit,....
So I pay $400 for a piece of crap, and this is what GoPro offers,..see below

This is pathetic, I can get better pricing on my own,....but this is what they offer me.
Look at the hoops they also want me to jump through to have the privilege of paying more to them than what I can get on my own? send it in to get a manual discount? Really?

This is why I refuse to buy any more of their products, I will be selling all my GoPro mounts and peripherals and use that money to buy something else.
****, I might just light it all on fire and upload the video as shot on their competitions units.
This is by far the worst customer service I have seen anywhere.

Here's what they sent back to me after I sent them the original receipts AND multiple pics of the camera itself showing the condition of the unit, (again, the unit is in pristine condition)

They call it a "situation" and refer to my unit as "damaged"? really, WTF? I sent them photos of the unit, please,........

From GoPro:
Hi Steve,

Good day!

Unfortunately, it shows that this kind of situation is not covered by our one-year warranty period. However, we still want to help you out as best as we can by offering a discount towards a purchase of a new camera available on GoPro.com. Typically, we do not offer this but we would like to give a one time exception to this for you.

The process goes like this:

1. Customer returns the damaged camera to us.
2. Warehouse receives and scans the camera in our warehouse inventory.
3. We let customers know that they can place the order for the new camera over the phone then we apply the discount manually on the system.

Here's the price list:

HERO6 Black
Standard price: $499.99
Discounted price: $399.99

HERO5 Black
Standard price: $299.99
Discounted price: $239.99

If you have any questions or concerns aside from what is stated initially, please feel free to include it in your reply to this email. You can also refer to this case number: 04490364

Have a good day!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts