GoPro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first GoPro(Hero 9) from the GoPro Website. It included the 64GB SD card, extra battery and 1 yr subscription. I received it last Wednesday ahead of our spring break trip. I charged the camera, formatted the card in the camera and took a few videos.... things seemed to be working fine. We left for our trip on Saturday. We took some videos and pictures(maybe 15-20). Then got an SD card error. wouldn't play in the camera or show in the computer. Lost everything. So I reformatted the card and started again.... this has happened now for 4 consecutive days with various errors on the camera. Despite my efforts, I have pretty much lost everything. I talked to GoPro support today... nice enough guy but had a hard time fully understanding him and I think he offered me a free head strap for my troubles... But I'm sitting here buying file recovery software in the hopes that I can somehow recover some of my videos and pics of the family.

After formatting the card, the camera seems to work fine... then all of the sudden I get a message that there is an SD card error and the only way to fix it is to format the card.... and the viscous cycle continues. The card that GoPro sent was the Sandisk Extreem 64GB. I have chased gremlins in cameras before and I know that SD cards can cause all sorts of weird problems when you get one that wants to be a pain.... I stopped by Walmart and the best card I could find was an SanDisk ImageMate Pro 64GB. I have tried to lookup a spec comparison, but haven't found one.

Any suggestions on what else to try?? I guess I'm going back to my Iphone for pics and video for the rest of the trip.

·
Administrator
8,962 Posts
Sorry to hear: I learned never to buy a new camera and go on vacation, if I buy a camera for vacation, I get it months prior, so I can bench test everything, No one has time to test things, they got no time at all, and this is the lesson learned the hard way:

The sd cards are to be Fully formatted not in a camera but in a laptop with a card slot that takes roughly 30 minutes for a 64gb, you know how to format it in a Pc windows base platform, that lil check box? I ask b/c many do not know-how. they simply use mobile products and a camera.

Now Sandisk is not GoPros favorite card, I have used Samsung Evo Select +, they can be found at Bestbuy, the card I have only tossed out a sd error one time as I long pressed a button,. did not lose a file.

Now GoPro is to have a repair file software built into their camera, and GoPro should have offered a free one the don't, hope you can find a recovery program.

If the camer is too much trouble, return it. most issues are with gopro.

·
Administrator
2,787 Posts
I don't think its an issue with the camera - its the memory card. Most likely a clone rather than being original.
First thing to try is a different memory card from a reputable brand that you know is not a clone. Also needs to be high speed (I use SanDisk Extreme Pro, or Lexar 633x). Lower speed cards will cause issues as they cant keep up with the high write speed the camera needs.

Alternatively contact GoPro and tell them your card is faulty and that they should replace it.

·
Administrator
8,962 Posts
The Promotion cards are exactly that not the best at hand

·
Registered
3 Posts
It’s really a very bad feeling when you can’t record your awesome holiday’s moments from a new camera. I don’t think there is issue with the camera, there could be any issue with the SD Card. However, there are some solutions to your problems.
You can check CHKDSK command in CMD:
1. Connect the SD card with your PC via card reader.
2. Open My Computer/ This PC and in Devices with Removable Storage note the drive letter assigned to your SD card.
3. Next, click on Windows search box and type ‘cmd’.
4. Right-click on CMD and select Run as administrator.
5. A command window opens. Type chkdsk G: /f (Here G is the SD card drive letter.)
6. Press Enter and wait for the process to finish.
7. Next, restart the computer.

You can also check the issue ‘Windows Drive Error’ checking feature. It is helpful when the SD card reformatting error is due to corruption in the file system. The error checking feature scans for the file system errors and fixes them.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The card can be formatted in the camera,. you do not need a laptop or computer to do this, what if you are out somewhere and need to use a new card but you have no computer with you, and i know this because i have put new cards in my GoPro 7 as well as formatted full cards and it works.

Even in a computer the card does not take 30 minutes to format, it takes a few seconds, i just prefer the camera to format the card as it does it to the correct structure, the same with a mobile phone, best to just format the card in the phone.

Use Lexar and Samsung cards, Sandisk i just don't trust any more, and are the most widely faked brand as well, and do not buy cards from ebay, many fakes in there.

This issue may be with the 64gb card, but why would GoPro sell a camewra with a faulty card, or a card not compatible for the camera.

What format are you recording your videos in ?

·
Administrator
8,962 Posts
This is called a quick format when the box is checked, that takes a second or two. uncheck the box, it will format 32gb/15min, 64gb/30 min etc. the camera can format but only clears what is on the card not hidden files. So when you are out and about, and filmed. you are basiccally erasing your recordings. nothing more.
I suggest to format with basic pc skills on a laptop to clear the actual card. and that is what you want to do.

58gb of 64gb

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know what a quick format is, i am a computer/laptop technician so i know what i am talking about, and i hold several certifications with Microsoft.
You do not have to do a slow format on your card very time you want to do a format, all you need to do is a quick format that removes the necessary files, and i also mention that when you get a new card you can simply insert it into the camera, and the card will be formatted by the system within the camera software.

I always recommend to do a CHKDSK every now and then, when you have access to a laptop or computer, simply to verify that the health of the card is good.

·
Administrator
8,962 Posts
if I run into a hiccup, and I find that the card needs to be reset back to its original state, I do that.

If the OP returns they got some reading to do

·
Registered
25 Posts
What i mentioned before is what i recommend as a general rule, however if i have a problem with a card myself, i will simply throw it away and use a new one, and i always check every card before i use it.

If i am out shooting with my camera and get errors with my SD card, the chances are that you will never be able to fix it, and nobody should take the risk of using that card again as you may lose everything that you recorded, even using data recovery software may well not be possible, so it is not worth the risk.

Do not buy cards from places such as eBay, unless you know for sure that the cards are indeed genuine, and be very careful when buying 2nd hand cards too, good chance that it may be faulty.

·
Administrator
8,962 Posts
That is the issues with GoPro, thinking it can be a card issue, not all have funds to toss cards and buy new one's. Those cards may work perfect in another product, but fail in gopro.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am not saying that you throw a card away just because it fails in a GoPro, obviously if it fails or shows errors in other devices then you throw it away.

Card compatibility is a big issue with GoPro, unlike using the card in a laptop, computer or phone, each has it's own problems, so one error may show in a phone but not in the laptop, if you get my drift.

What i am saying is if a card shows error in a GoPro, then get a new one, and make sure it is one of the cards listed in the GoPro website, that way, if the card still fails, you then go back to GoPro support and tell them, if you use a non recommended card, GoPro support will not help you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts