GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this may have been a little naive of me to assume it could do this but come on , I don't think I've ever owned a digital camera that couldn't.
I've just got my Hero 8 and thought it would be an upgrade from my Yi 4K+ but maybe I was wrong. I usually attach a huge backup battery to my action camera's to get uninterrupted recording of several hours. The built in batteries just cant handle long usage and i can be checking them every half an hour and switching out batteries i want to leave it recording an forget about it until i'm done.
This was easy with my last two Yi cameras how is it not working with the GoPro Hero 8, they are supposed to be the top of the line cameras and cost over double that of the Yi 4K+.The only way i have found to do this is to remove the battery entirely and then it will power via the backup batter plugged into the Type C port but if the battery is present it will not power from the backup battery or charge the internal battery from the backup. Please someone tell me there's another way, I don't want to run without the battery in the Gopro in case i want to disconnect while recording and move around without stopping the recording inserting the battery and start recording again , If i have to do this I may miss that vital moment that I want to capture.

·
Administrator
8,434 Posts
This is how my Hero 8 Black works with a External Battery. I used a few different powerbanks what I take note is:

hero 8 shows external power bipasses the Internal battery, but still drains a little maybe because of the surge ir requires. This is the first hero camera that finally Bipassed the battery. Yet gopro to get it 100% right. so not sure why you're not seeing that...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I cant really follow your video as its so long but , the bottom line is I'm not seeing the charging lightning bolt icon on the green battery logo on screen so the power bank is not charging the battery, the internal battery is still draining if i leave it recording. So the external power bank is not being accessed by the GoPro , if i take out the battery from the GoPro it does draw power from the powerbank (obviously otherwise it wouldnt be powered at all). The powerbank will charge the battery when no in record but as soon as i hit record it stops charging. Such a simple and obvious thing i dont know why GoPro dont implement this, these cameras are supposed to be the best and they clearly are not!

·
Administrator
8,434 Posts
Lol:

over the two hours I tested. what I noticed the camera did the job recorded off the Powerbank. And also used the gopro because of this new technology. that said if the gopro does not fit the bill for yuor needs use the Yi4k+ Young innovators that Simply got up and left.. that were backed up By Xiaomi.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok this may have been a little naive of me to assume it could do this but come on , I don't think I've ever owned a digital camera that couldn't.
I've just got my Hero 8 and thought it would be an upgrade from my Yi 4K+ but maybe I was wrong. I usually attach a huge backup battery to my action camera's to get uninterrupted recording of several hours. The built in batteries just cant handle long usage and i can be checking them every half an hour and switching out batteries i want to leave it recording an forget about it until i'm done.
This was easy with my last two Yi cameras how is it not working with the GoPro Hero 8, they are supposed to be the top of the line cameras and cost over double that of the Yi 4K+.The only way i have found to do this is to remove the battery entirely and then it will power via the backup batter plugged into the Type C port but if the battery is present it will not power from the backup battery or charge the internal battery from the backup. Please someone tell me there's another way, I don't want to run without the battery in the Gopro in case i want to disconnect while recording and move around without stopping the recording inserting the battery and start recording again , If i have to do this I may miss that vital moment that I want to capture.

So I dont have a Hero 8 but let me tell you my power experiences with the 3,4,5, and 7.

I have found that to get the GP to draw power from external power, be it an external battery or an AC power source, you need to have the power source plugged into the gopro while its off.
You can have the battery in the camera but make sure you have the AC power/external power source plugged in and THEN turn on the GP.
The GP will draw its power from that external source first.

If you have the gopro turn off during it operation, then it will charge the internal battery. And once the GP is turned back on ( still with the external source source connected), it'll draw its power form that external source first.

While if you have the battery installed and powered on and then add the external power source, yes the battery symbol will show charging but the GP is drawing power from the battery only and the battery depletion is faster than the charging circuit can charge the battery before its runs out of battery resultinging the GP 'dying' from lack of power. ie. it wont switch over to the external power source after the internal battery is depleted.

To sum up, have the external power source connected, THEN power up the GP. And every time the GP turns on, itll draw from the external power source.

Now like I said, I dont have an 8 so I dont know if things have changed but this method works for the previous models......power up AFTER you have the external power source connected.

Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.