GoPro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'll be flying to the states soon and bought a GoPro 8 to supplement my older phone, I want to record the entire traveling process and so have bought:

-A chest mount
-A stubby tripod
-Telensomething batteries with a charging case
-Sandsik Extreme Pro 256GB microSDXC

I've confirmed that I can run the Gopro directly from a powerbank through it's charging port, so battery life isn't a concern. However, in testing it I can't get it to record for more than an hour and a half or so.

I've tried running the default mode, it seems to chop the video up into smaller files and struggles withending a long record. The final result is not the entire time recorded.

I've also tried looping with the loop set to Max to eat the entire card, but it only loops to about 90minutes before it just stops (still looks like it's recording), it doesn't even write over the original stuff.

The card was barely touched and has been formatted in the Gopro more than once.

What am I doing wrong here? What settings would be best to record about 12+ hours on a Hero 8 Black whilst it's powered externally?

·
Administrator
9,088 Posts
A lot of questions can be asked but since you're asking and new. Please pull the battery out and try a test of recording, and you'll then see the camera will record until:

1 it overheats and stops
2. the powerbank depletes
3. the sdxc fils up
4 unexpected crash.

GoPro bat on the Hero 8 needs to be pulled, , others can answer the rest.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you checked the size of the memory card in your computer, there used to be a lot of fake sandisk cards around.
You need to also consider the resolution your filming at, obviously 4K takes up a lot more space on your card than 1080.
I've had just about 8hours out of a 128GB card recording at 1080x30.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not a card issue, it registers as 238GB on Windows and will fill up just fine when recording multiple things, I have also tested it with no battery in (I did this at the time to try and mediate the hot recording temp) and still found it didn't work.

To provide as much info as possible I'll format the card in the GoPro and test again sans battery then report the results, what would be the most appropriate mode for this longer kind of recording?

·
Administrator
9,088 Posts
a powerbank, each 1K mah is an hour
Battery out , the camera should record.

if these do not work, then, something you are doing is wrong. Should I set up a Livestream and demo exactly that till my 128Gb fills up?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Set it to 1080x25 and turn off hypersmooth and any other extra's you might have on. That should get you upto 8hours recording time from a 256GB card. Actually thinking about it your running from a power bank so won't need to turn everything off. Just lower the resolution and frame rate.

·
Administrator
9,088 Posts
@Trainwreck one of his querries were chest mount, so turning Hypersmooth off or using a gimbal, right now again I show a demo at a 70 plus degree day no bat working...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try Go pro without a battery when using it with powerbank.
Hi all,

I'll be flying to the states soon and bought a GoPro 8 to supplement my older phone, I want to record the entire traveling process and so have bought:

-A chest mount
-A stubby tripod
-Telensomething batteries with a charging case
-Sandsik Extreme Pro 256GB microSDXC

I've confirmed that I can run the Gopro directly from a powerbank through it's charging port, so battery life isn't a concern. However, in testing it I can't get it to record for more than an hour and a half or so.

I've tried running the default mode, it seems to chop the video up into smaller files and struggles withending a long record. The final result is not the entire time recorded.

I've also tried looping with the loop set to Max to eat the entire card, but it only loops to about 90minutes before it just stops (still looks like it's recording), it doesn't even write over the original stuff.

The card was barely touched and has been formatted in the Gopro more than once.

What am I doing wrong here? What settings would be best to record about 12+ hours on a Hero 8 Black whilst it's powered externally?
I run 3 GoPros on my motorcycle with continuous 12v power including a Hero 8. Most if the time it will run all day without issues and takes a lot of beating based on where it’s mounted. Given the dust that all day rides can create I have found mostly I have card errors if any. At times it crashes as well. Got a can of compressed air, blew them out good, cleaned the card and that seems to work. Not sure if this can be a problem but I format the SD card on my computer when I get card failures and “Select D all of the above usually does the trick. That camera should handle what you want to accomplish so there is weak link somewhere even the power pack could be your problem. Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts