GoPro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually use the top button to power up the camera and it starts recording. GPS is always on but how long do you need to record for before it starts saving data. I understand it will take a little time to log onto satalittles. If I just let it record it might not pick up gps until after 2 or more split files have been saved. What I mean by split files is my typical setting means the gopro will record 8 minutes of footage and save it as a file then continue to record and save that as another file.
If I just fire it up to record say 45 seconds at a time it never seems to aquire GPS but as I am an old bloke cycling slow I am not going very far between these short recordings

·
Administrator
9,139 Posts
Welcome to the forums. GPS requires at least 4 sats to work. I simply tried to get a lock on the Hero 8 took me two minutes. I then said why not shut down and QC see whereit will not grab, well I found my answer, so if I want to use GPS I will use the Mode on and allow a lock. My suggestion is Use Mode on, get a lock and allow more sats to lock on, before gopro makes this a need to work correctly with 8 sats now, and thati s already done with gopro they need more sats to work with the gopro app.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean Mode on? GPS is always ON on my unit? Am I missing some subtle setting ?

·
Administrator
9,139 Posts
your side button is called Mode on/off. your GPS is always on in settings not on when the camera is OFF.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah Ok thanks for clearing that up... its not easy to switch on like that when cycling which is why I use the top button

·
Administrator
9,139 Posts
Hope you find the solution you’re looking for

1 - 7 of 7 Posts