GoPro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hero 6 black. On my old 2012 (Intel) Mac Mini I used Quik to overlay the GPS telemetry (speed, direction, g-force etc). But it seems this app is no longer supported.

I have a new 2020 M1 Mac Mini and even though I've found a link to download Quik, the app crashes and shuts every time you try and apply the telemetry to a video file.

How else can I do this on a Mac?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
IMO: New stuff should run old stuff, and Old stuff should work on new stuff, today that is not the case as companies are forcing you off old stuff to new stuff, great example;

Cell carrier aredropping 3G off the system. and you got it, forced to use a newer device.
so in order to do what you want, it must be Mobile quick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hoping mobile quik is not the only answer. If it is, it is a very bad and poor answer. As getting many gigs of video footage onto a mobile device is very slow and mobile devices have very limited storage space. Plus ultimately I will not want the footage on a mobile device as I'll likely want to do more editing on a desktop machine before uploading and archiving on a local drive. :(

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
Well tell that to Nick Woodman who made this happen or seek racerender and pay or virb or use an outdated program on a Pc

good luck

·
Administrator
2,730 Posts
The GoPro Quik app is no longer in development I'm afraid - personally I think this is a huge mistake on the part of GoPro! It doesn't even exist on the Mac App Store any more from my understanding.
So the Quik application will work on Intel based Macs (if you can find and download it online), but since development has stopped it has not been revised for compatibility with Apple's new Silicon processors.

See here for GoPro's recommended programs to view/edit - although probably not too helpful to you in your case : Programs to View and Edit Videos

Apparently VideoProc Vlogger runs well on the M1 Macs, although not sure if it does overlays? : VideoProc Vlogger | Free Video Editor Software for All – OFFICIAL

Otherwise it seems the only way to do it is to add overlays to the clip via your smartphone/tablet, then export the clip with the overlays now added, and import into your editor on the Mac to add to your project and continue your editing process.....not ideal, but the only way to do it successfully.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a real shame that GoPro don't seem to want to support their products and applications..... :(

I know I can pay a 3rd party app to overlay the telemetry, but I shouldn't really have too considering I could do it before.

Forcing people to use a mobile app is mental. I had 8GB of footage recently which takes a short while to get onto my Mac (where I have 5.5TB of storage space available), but would take ages to put on my iPhone (with limited available storage space). And why would I want to use an iPhone for video editing when I have a desktop computer with dual monitors????

Another lack of foresight from GoPro, the new M1 powered Macs allow you to install and run iPad/iPhone apps natively from the App Store. However the mobile version of Quik does not appear, which means GoPro have deliberately blocked it being available. Why would any sane company make such a decision?

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
gopro hero 6 was the last working camera with quick, 2016, the softwas was still being updated back then, they basically switched over in full to mobile. Dashware was still usable. Last year gopro chanGED TO LEGACY and said we are working on a gps solution. So yeah it Is what it is. Not a single note on the box

·
Administrator
2,730 Posts
Another lack of foresight from GoPro, the new M1 powered Macs allow you to install and run iPad/iPhone apps natively from the App Store. However the mobile version of Quik does not appear, which means GoPro have deliberately blocked it being available. Why would any sane company make such a decision?
Not correct.
iPhone/iPad apps run in an iOS environment.
Mac Apps run in the OSX environment, hence why the store is called the 'Mac App Store', and not just the 'App Store' (which is for iOS).

iPhone/iPad apps therefore do not just work on a Mac computer. The app needs to be redeveloped into the OSX version. Hence GoPro havent blocked it being available, they just havent developed the OSX version for Mac and are focusing more on the mobile iOS platform instead.
Not something i agree with either, but guess we are stuck with no choice in the matter!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not correct.
iPhone/iPad apps run in an iOS environment.
Mac Apps run in the OSX environment, hence why the store is called the 'Mac App Store', and not just the 'App Store' (which is for iOS).

iPhone/iPad apps therefore do not just work on a Mac computer. The app needs to be redeveloped into the OSX version. Hence GoPro havent blocked it being available, they just havent developed the OSX version for Mac and are focusing more on the mobile iOS platform instead.
Not something i agree with either, but guess we are stuck with no choice in the matter!
Sorry, but it seems you need to brush up on your knowledge I'm afraid. The new Apple Siicon CPU's (used in the Mini, Macbook & iMac 27") share a common architecture with other Apple devices and can therefore run iOS apps natively. Which is fully supported and endorsed by Apple.

However, as Mobile Quik does not appear on the App Store (under iPhone & iPad Apps), it means the developer (i.e. GoPro) have actively blocked it from being accessible.

Font Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia Electric blue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts