GoPro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone confirm that when plugging in an external microphone via the 3.5mm input jack on the Media Mod chassis, all other microphones (the directionals on the media mod and the standard/internal HERO8 mics) are completely disabled? Thus only audio from the 3.5mm jack will be recorded?

(I intend to feed an audio sub-mix into the 3.5mm input and don’t want any additional coloration from the onboard mics.)

Thanks,
Tim

·
Administrator
10,061 Posts
Welcome aboard Foster Tim you may try this while you wait for others to answer;

3.5mm plug nothing on the other end, for me its a gain control record ten seconds and playback the clip, you'll find no audio on the other end. what I do.

FISH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fish! I haven’t purchased the camera yet — wanted to confirm how the external mic was implemented before taking the plunge.

From what you describe it does sound like all other mics are muted (and indeed that would seem the most logical implementation!)

Much appreciated. Off to pick me up a Hero8! :)

·
Administrator
10,061 Posts
If @Ifti here has one he can confirm, otherwise a youtuber or hang tight here and maybe like said some one who purchased one can confirm in a few days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, sorry —misread your initial post! I actually just ran out to WalMart and grabbed one, lol. They didn’t have the media mod so i’ll need to order that online through another retailer, but certainly i’ll await further replies before I get in too deep. Fingers crossed! Couldn’t find any definite answers in the documentation, but seems it would be missing the mark if it didn’t disable the directional mics...

·
Administrator
2,997 Posts
When connecting the GoPro to the media mod, the GoPro's built in mics are disabled and the Media Mod mic takes over.
When connecting an external 3.5mm mic to the Media Mod, the Mods own mic is disabled and priority is given to the external mic.
You will not have more then 1 mic active at any time. So to answer your question, yes, connecting an external 3.5mm mic to the media mod will make it the main mic and disable the media mod mic.

·
Administrator
10,061 Posts
You are very welcomed.

FISH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts