GoPro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really I don't know how to explain this other than to show the capture. I was about 4 mins into a 1 hour capture of rain, the Hero8 mounted on a tripod under an umbrella, when on it's own it started shifting it's picture framing down and to the right, then slowly drift back to the original position and then drop down and to the right again. The camera was completely stationary, fixed to a tripod and not moving at all, the movement apparently something going on internally. It did this for the whole hour capture and ruined the what would otherwise have been a great capture.

here is an example of it working correctly a few days ago:

The first part of the below clip is a portion of how it was doing for the 1st 4 minutes, when it was working to expectation today when another great storm blew through, then what it started doing after and for the rest of the hour capture. The messed up part is accelerated 500% so you can see the issue more clearly without it taking a lot or your time to observe. Why is it doing this and how do I make sure this doesn't happen again so I don't lose material?

·
Administrator
9,784 Posts
Question what settings were you on everything that the profile mentions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question what settings were you on everything that the profile mentions
Cinematic 4K 30 low bit rate 10% crop hypersmooth on
same setting I had previous capture that did really well for the hour capture of rain. I am completely new to using this camera, does that answer your question?

·
Administrator
9,784 Posts
Q1 again please tell us your settings: that is in the Profile can not be that complicated (wink)
Profile Cinematic
RES/ FPS .......... 4K/30
Lens ....................Linear
Hypersmooth.......high
Low light...............N/A
Zoom....................1X (disabled)
Clips ....................Off

Protunes:
Bitrate.................Standard
Shutter................Auto
EV Comp............0
White balance....Auto
ISO min.............100
ISO Max............1600
Sharpness..........High
Color..................GoPro

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
res|fps = 4K|30
Lens = Wide
HyperSmooth = on
low light = n/a
zoom = 1.0x
clips = on
bit rate = low
shutter = auto
ev comp = 0
white balance = auto
iso min = 100
iso max = 1600
sharpness = high
color = gopro
raw = off
wind = auto

·
Administrator
9,784 Posts
Big-Thank you. now that we got the settings down pact. I will do a test at my end to see if the EIS/Gyro is hte cause, if we got this on a tripod there is no real need to keep the Hypersmooth on, correct.?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big-Thank you. now that we got the settings down pact. I will do a test at my end to see if the EIS/Gyro is hte cause, if we got this on a tripod there is no real need to keep the Hypersmooth on, correct.?
RE: no real need to keep the Hypersmooth on, correct.?
This seemed correct to me too and I did a test last night, on the tripod, with hypersmooth off. Seems maybe we are thinking the same thing here that the auto jiggle damping acted up for some undetermined reason. The video(s) are just about done copying to my PC, where I will assemble them and scan through them to see if the issue repeated itself, then get back with you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, scanned through the hour capture done last night where the hypersmooth was not enabled, no issues detected. Only other setting difference, which I suspect would have no impact; but mentioning to stay factually correct, last night's test had also been set to high bit rate. I shall set the camera up again, back to low bit rate and hypersmooth remaining disabled and let it run on the tripod for another hour. Maybe something just glitched with the motion sensor or whatever, I don't know. Setting up another capture now, no rain or wind; but the fixture and tripod was secure, not rocking or anything when the issue developed, should have been another great rain storm capture.

·
Administrator
9,784 Posts
The camera has a mind it will guess the next move, that is the processor, it's hunting. Hypersmooth is really amazing if asked. glad you understand the camera quite well and can accept that as a resolution!

Reactions: PyroRobby

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah, i don't blame technology for my lack of understanding what it is trying to do for me, just need to know what's what and how to make it work, the best settings for the tool usage. Didn't act like that in the first capture with the same setting so maybe the software was triggered by something it saw. Doesn't matter, works works. Have done 2 more captures and need to upload them to my PC to review them. Expect it will all be fine. Then maybe this weekend I will take a road trip and see if the hypersmooth runs OK in the vehicle. Like I say, this is my 1st GoPro and I am just learning how to use it. Was really impressed what this $300 pocket cam delivered on my 1st rain capture. If anybody has any support use of the sawtooth wave video for future reference of this symptom and probable solution, it is free use as far as I am concerned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts