GoPro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, all!

In Russia, some GoPro cameras have the same problem. I also have a similar problem occurred when have "helicopter" sound on the audiotrack.
I heard that a similar problem have a some cameras of Chinese manufacturers: SJCam and Xiaomi. The problems of poor sound solved screening of wireless modules.
Then I thought, why not try to do the same operation on the GoPro - put the shields on a built-in mic and WiFi antenna?
I bought a copper adhesive tape. Carefully disassemble the camera, and that's what I saw inside.
(Sorry for the Russian words on the picture):grin:
WiFi антенна - WiFi antenna.
Микрофон - Mic

As seen in the picture, WiFi antenna is not shielded from the mic or from the PCB as a whole. Since the copper adhesive tape has an conductive adhesive layer, I decided to stick the first ordinary transparent tape.

Well, now I can cut the copper shield and stick it. First on the microphone.

And then on the WiFi antenna.
I did the intermediate test recording, to understand how to arrange the shields. First result satisfied me and I decided to make secure and more tightly seal the copper tape. It was my mistake. :)

After assembly of the camera, I again heard the "helicopter" sound, though to a lesser extent than it was before.
A little more thought, and I realized that I combined shields of antenna and microphone. They can not be combined!!!
The latest version looks like this:

On the last picture, the yellow arrow marks the gap between mic and antenna shields. The last test showed that it was possible to get rid of the "helicopter" sound.
On the WiFi signal this modification did not affect. WiFi works very confident even at 5 meters. More - not measured.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow. Thank you OP for your efforts! I too was frustrated and thought that exchanging or RMA'ing the Hero 4 Black was the only way to deal with the helicopter noise. So many stories of Hero 4 Black owners waiting months for a replacement camera.

I got some copper tape, cut it to fit, and laid it down. I tested it and played back the recording and was blown away!
Thanks again!

·
Administrator
9,365 Posts
Congrads and thank you for sharing this, not all have the problem, and would not Copper paint be something as well to look into

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, I just finished a call from GoPro support and they already sent me an email on how to record the footage i'd be sending them to determin if my unit really has the "helicopter-sound" issue (duh, of course!).

I will be making the video as soon as I get back from work and let's see how long it takes for the whole process to complete.

Sadly, I'm not willing to tear open my 6-day old Hero 4 silver, as there's still other ways of solving it.

Will post back about the updates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most likely they will send you a new camera. And it may be the same problem.
This problem - engineers bug. It can be corrected only by mechanical means - installing insulation shields.

·
Registered
259 Posts
That's gold ! Thanks for sharing.

great - If I were you I'd ask for a replacement. Opening your camera will void its warranty so if anything else happen you're pretty much screwed. But still might not solve the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's just awesome! I used to engineer RF and other EMF shielding solutions in arcade-size video games for regulatory compliance. Your experiments and tests are spot-on as described. As the admin said, you are to be commended.

This issue should be brought to the manufacturers attention, esp since excessive radiation is technically illegal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm doubtful metallic paint will be as effective as the tape. The shield should be perpendicular to the radiation field and also must be grounded.

If you try the paint, pls post your results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most likely they will send you a new camera. And it may be the same problem.
This problem - engineers bug. It can be corrected only by mechanical means - installing insulation shields.
Just finished emailing them my GoPro's serial number, address and name and the rep said they are gonna reply back with RMA instruction.

It's good that I'm not a pro videographer or someone who does this for a living, else i'd be livid with them - both because turnaround time isn't great and most importantly, the store won't even exchange them even it's only 6-days old.

Keeping fingers crossed.:|

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wrote a letter in support of GoPro.
And I gave a link to this thread on this forum.
James, who answered to me, was in shock! :)
He said he will carry this bug to the higher people in the company. :)

I hope that they will finalize the technological process and include in it the WiFi antenna shield. Thus, hundreds of people get rid of the bug and the need to change from the camera warranty. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the fix OP. I did this today and would say it reduced the helicopter sound by 90-95%. Can still hear it slightly if you crank the volume way up on my home theater system but totally acceptable now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like I may be taking this on. After going through GoPro's warranty replacement process over the course of six weeks, three defective cameras with the same problem, I finally received one the works correctly. So I decided to purchase a second Hero 4 Silver. I hoped recently manufactured cameras wouldn't have the same issue. Wrong. The new one has the helicopter sound too. So 100% of the GoPro's I've purchased have been defective. 75% of my warranty replacements have been defective.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a GoPro Hero 4 Silver and...

I quickly learned of the helicopter sound issue. Is it true that it is emitting an unusual amount of radiation by not being properly shielded as well? I'm not brave enough to open it up for fear of breaking it, not even sure how to begin...guess I'll have to do the same return and pray policy that everyone else seems to be doing until I want to tear my eyes out and break down and void warranty...ugh...think they would've fixed the issue by now...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If you just purchased your camera you need to return it for a replacement, some have returned the camera multiple times to get one that is working correctly so don't give up. It is a shielding problem and you can see how it was fixed by going to the gallery tab above and looking for the photos of the fix. You can also google it. As for taking the camera apart for the fix there are a ton of videos showing how it comes apart. It's not hard but you need the right tools and patience should you try it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is exactly the solution I've been looking for. Really, really appreciate you sharing this info! I'm on my second GoPro Silver and have been experiencing the helicopter sound when Wi-Fi is enabled. I suspected that this was some sort of engineering defect. Before I buy the copper tape, can someone tell me exactly what kind I should buy? The OP had a link for some on Amazon that was $120. Hoping to find some for cheaper. Any help would be appreciate.

Lance

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
This is exactly the solution I've been looking for. Really, really appreciate you sharing this info! I'm on my second GoPro Silver and have been experiencing the helicopter sound when Wi-Fi is enabled. I suspected that this was some sort of engineering defect. Before I buy the copper tape, can someone tell me exactly what kind I should buy? The OP had a link for some on Amazon that was $120. Hoping to find some for cheaper. Any help would be appreciate.

Lance
Self adhesive copper tape

1 - 20 of 29 Posts