GoPro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just joined this forum because i just got a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition :)

But unfortunately i got a huge problem...

I went ahead and did the software upgrade from GoPro's website. I used manuell installation and put the unzipped files on the root folder of the microSD card. Got to the updating message on the camera, then it got stuck with the image of the camera on the LCD. (No blinkin light or update text.) Waited for like 20 minutes. During this time there appeared to be no activity, although the camera did become very warm.

Finally gave up on it. None of the buttons would do anything. Per the note that "sometimes this update fails and you have to remove the battery and do it all over again" on the GoPro site...I went ahead and pulled the battery. Waited and put it back in. Now the camera does not respond to any button presses. When connected to my computer via USB, the red light on the back does come on (Battery connected). Also if i press any button on the camera the red light on the back will start to glow.

Camera is no longer recognized by the computer, SD drive is not mountable, etc.

I've tried holding the shutter button while putting the battery back in and then also pressing the power button as described elsewhere as the reset procedure. I've also tried all these steps when the microSD card is not in the camera. Nothing helps.

Wont make any difference if i charge it. And if i try to charge it the red light on the front wont start.

All tips are welcome!

(Copied some of this text from a similary post from 2012.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
additional info:

im using windows 8 32bit. but i dont see how that would matter when i chose manuell installation anyways..

the microSD card is working in my computer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try waiting much longer before performing a hard reset. As in one video I saw, the guy tried several times and it finally worked after a 45 min. break.
I tried reset it with like 20 hours break between , not any sucess yet :/
I have sent a email to GoPro about it hope they can tell me how to fix

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on the case for anyone interested;

GoPro have asked me to send them my camera under warranty to get a replacement camera from them

D

·
0 Posts
Hi have been experiencing issues with the wi-fi wireless and some freezing with my Hero 3 Black Edition. I tried doing the software update automatically and still had the issues. Then, I manually tried doing the update and it worked the first time and I have had no issues ever since.

I think the trick is to format the SD card fully first using your computer, then doing the manual update. If your using a powerpack, do the updates without it on, I think this may hinder the process.

I work on a Mac, if you are having dramas try this and see how you go, worked for me.

1. Go to Disk Utility on your Mac. Format the SD card and erase all data and partition.

2. Go to the GoPro update page and follow the instructions for doing the manual update.

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts