GoPro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what could be wrong with my GoPro Hero 9 black? I took it out one day and it just totally stopped functioning properly. Every time I record something the screen splits horizontally and turns pink/green or the colors are all negatives of what they should be. It is triggered by vibration. It’s never seen a hard impact or drop. If it does manage to keep recording, my footage will just stay on whatever frame then GoPro glitched on. Most of the time I have to take the battery out to fix it. Ive tried new SD cards, manually updating firmware and then factory resetting, factory resetting and then updating firmware, new battery, formatting SD cards in computer before using, formatting them in the camera before using. Nothing worked or even helped. Ever since I got the camera, the touch screen has been unresponsive. When first powered on I can get maybe 2 or 3 responsive touches before it totally stops responding to touch. At that point I need to turn it off to get another 3 touches, or just control it with my phone. GoPro said they would send me a refurbished unit, but from what I’ve read, most of the reconditioned units still have this issue. Idk what to do. I’m literally about to trade it in for $40 off my Insta360 purchase. I don’t even want to sell it second hand because I’d hate to dump my problem on somebody else. The camera is less than 3 months old. I’ve included some images of my issue.
Light Gadget Communication Device Audio equipment Cameras & optics
Hand Communication Device Telephone Finger Audio equipment
Hand Gadget Finger Cameras & optics Camera accessory

·
Administrator
9,236 Posts
Sorry you are having issues:

I get with Gopro and get a replacement, while under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry you are having issues:

I get with Gopro and get a replacement, while under warranty.
That’s what I want to do, but this forum is plastered with threads stating that the reconditioned units are either the same or worse. I might take it back to Best Buy. They will usually give you a new unit under warranty. The days of GoPro being the best action camera are over. I use mine to film while I’m riding my motorcycle and I ride in some pretty big groups. 9/10 riders have an action camera of some kind. Over half of the guys with GoPros experience issues like this. The guys with Insta360s, Osmo, and DJI seem to never have issues (and I constantly ask out of curiosity). If bestbuy won’t warranty it for me I’m literally going to trade it in for $40 off an insta360 One R. Being a modular camera, is unlikely it will experience obsolescence for several years.

·
Administrator
9,236 Posts
you must be reffering your issues to the actual community.gopro.com site.

bestbuy gives you a replacement, on the spot you test out. you talk with them to simply either give you a hero 8 or a hero 10.

·
Administrator
9,236 Posts
Your topic was moved out of the greeting, maybe others can now answer than if. Posted to the correct sections

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update
After months of frustration, I finally figured out what was wrong with my GoPro hero 9 black. Vibrations were causing it to glitch like no tomorrow; to the point where the camera was unusable. I ended up isolating the issue to an aftermarket battery door purchased off eBay. The door was moving just enough so that vibration would cause an incomplete connecting with the battery contacts. I was able to replicate the issue every time by pulling out the battery about .25mm out of the camera; I performed this as a confirmatory test. Now that I switched the door out with a genuine GoPro part, it works perfectly. Moral of the story: only use genuine OEM GoPro parts for your camera.
Also, I ordered an Insta360 One X2 motorcycle bundle at the end of January. The kits have been on backorder because the batteries have been out of stock since the holidays. I just got an email saying my order is going to be shipped out by Friday and they’d be sending out an extra battery and utility case because of the long wait. I must say, even though they’ve been on backorder, insta360 is really good at setting expectations. When I placed the order they were sure to tell me there’d be a 4-6 week wait period and they’ve been sending me updates every couple of weeks. Can’t wait to get this camera and capture some stellar footage!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another update with my defective Hero 9 Black. I thought I solved the issue by replacing the battery door with an OEM part but it still doesn’t work properly. It goes black but the lights will stay flashing and it won’t respond unless you pull the battery, my friend was using it over the weekend on a chesty and after we got off our bikes he told me it kept beeping and when we checked it it was repetitively turning on and off, the picture freezes while recording but the audio continues, the touch screen gives me two touches before it goes completely unresponsive and will stay that way until I pull the battery. I finally got GoPro to approve a warranty replacement. I have to say, since I’ve had my Insta360 One X2, I’ve been even more disappointed with my GoPro Hero 9 Black. I don’t know how GoPro could have let units with such quality control issues slip into circulation. It really says something about them as a company. Forums are littered with people having issues with their hero 9 black. The first issue I encounter with the refurbished unit and I’m going back to the retailer and demanding the refund it as a defective product. I refuse to let my $500 investment turn into a paper weight. I’ll give updates on what occurs with the replacement unit. Until I get a fully functioning unit, I can’t say I’d recommend GoPro to anybody. And what’s with their editing software? Do they even realize how primitive it is compared to the free editing software other action cameras provide?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another update with my defective Hero 9 Black. I thought I solved the issue by replacing the battery door with an OEM part but it still doesn’t work properly. It goes black but the lights will stay flashing and it won’t respond unless you pull the battery, my friend was using it over the weekend on a chesty and after we got off our bikes he told me it kept beeping and when we checked it it was repetitively turning on and off, the picture freezes while recording but the audio continues, the touch screen gives me two touches before it goes completely unresponsive and will stay that way until I pull the battery. I finally got GoPro to approve a warranty replacement. I have to say, since I’ve had my Insta360 One X2, I’ve been even more disappointed with my GoPro Hero 9 Black. I don’t know how GoPro could have let units with such quality control issues slip into circulation. It really says something about them as a company. Forums are littered with people having issues with their hero 9 black. The first issue I encounter with the refurbished unit and I’m going back to the retailer and demanding the refund it as a defective product. I refuse to let my $500 investment turn into a paper weight. I’ll give updates on what occurs with the replacement unit. Until I get a fully functioning unit, I can’t say I’d recommend GoPro to anybody. And what’s with their editing software? Do they even realize how primitive it is compared to the free editing software other action cameras provide?
I have all the same problems, bro! More then that I have replaced camera already 3 times under my warranty and all the time I have got new camera and still the same. When I ride on my motorcycle it just switches off after some seconds when there is more vibration. I have spent 400 EUR on a camera which does not work and I do not have any footage from my track riding. Dont know what to do at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts