GoPro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My GoPro has started to give this "SD CARD ERROR" every now and then.

The sd card is a sandisk 128gb card.

Everytime I get that "sd card error" I must remove the battery and then take the sd card out, put the sd card back in and put the battery back in.

This error message might happen all the time, or sometimes maybe 1-2 times every other week.

Is it common thing that Sandisk micro sd cards do not work good with Gopro 8 black?

·
Administrator
9,314 Posts
What I do. each time the footage is off:

FORMAT.

What I do every ten or more times, A FULL FORMAT, that must be correctly done on your computer. if not sure how to do these, ask.

·
Administrator
2,844 Posts
Which specific SanDisk card is it?? They have several modals with varying speeds......

·
Administrator
9,314 Posts
posters issues:

I got it twice since upgrading firmware to 1.5 in the exactly the same usage pattern:

1. Go biking. Do some recordings. Camera is on all the time.

2. Turn off camera and replace battery. Turn the camera back on.

3. Check the screen, all is ok; continue biking.

4. Start the first recording after battery replacement. The recording starts ok, no error so far.

5. Stop the recording. The SD card error message appears with the option to either format or cancel. I powered down the camera and the card was OK after I plugged it into my laptop at home. It had all the footage recorded BEFORE battery replacement. It had no consistency errors, like that recording AFTER battery replacement never occurred.

I was not so lucky when it happened to me for the first time. I was hoping that I can somehow correct the problem by powering off and then back on the camera. So I didn't turned off camera immediately, I cancelled and returned to main screen. SD card icon was in red with some error text. Power cycle didn't help. The card's MBT got corrupted in the process. Looks like camera misbehaves sometimes.

For the record:

1. It'd never happened before upgrading to 1.5.

2. Firmware upgrade to 1.5 was performed manually, at least twice before experincing that problem.

3. SD card was formatted at least twice after upgrading firmware 1.5 and before experiencing that problem.

4. "Twice" in the description above actually means "every time". It was 2 out of 2.

It will be 3rd time next Saturday. I will see if it will work any better this time (I flashed 1.5 manually and erased & reformatted SD card again).

EDITED:

SD card is on supported sd cards list (128GB Extreme Pro).

SD card was not even half full.

Poster issues:
2. SD card is on the compatibility list (128GB SanDisk Extreme Pro).
I'm experiencing the same problem with a 256GB SandDisk Extreme Pro that I got from BestBuy. It's happened twice, fortunately within 5-10 minutes of recording... So I haven't lost a whole day's worth of recording, but I simply cannot trust this card.

Posters Issues:
Hey people @k9rules @alexdresko @macnuts yesterday I found the previous version 1.21 for manual installation and solved my 1.5 firmware problem. Maybe is useful for your problem too as you say is 1.5 related.

Here the link to the forum where you can find the 1.21 update for download: https://www.goproforums.com/threads/lets-note-all-the-gopro-hero-9-black-bugs-and-issues-here.85058/...

I had the same problem with my sdCard but I didn't give much importance since wasn't even listed in the minimum specs list requeried by GoPro.

Now with a legit sdCard i've tried to record more than 10 minutes (that was the error with the other card) and in version 1.21 and no errors, all seems good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a dozen of reasons why SD cards get corrupt.
- Virus intrusion, Accumulation of Bad sectors on the SD card, Corrupt file system, Improper insertion/ejection procedure, or any Manufacturing defect.
You can resolve the issue using Command Prompt, or by using a Cleaner software.
You can format the SD card only when you have the backup of the files, else, avoid doing that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts