GoPro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People think the look is issued and a flaw while I ask gopro about this and sure enough they say its glass fiber layering. for strength. or is it? the left hand does not talk to the right hand.

you own one you show one. You think the Protective film was left on??

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine got shipped Fri or Sat - so hoping by mid week will have it and will post up pics of mine.
Awesome see if it has protective film wrapped around that is what the owners overlooked, I bet? lets me know how you like it ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got the Hero 8 in the mail yesterday and did not notice any protective film around it - the external surface is very smooth and feels a little cheaper than the 5, 6, and 7 - there is no rubberized coating on it. The built-in folding mounts feel on the cheap side too and you definitely want to be careful when mounting this as the legs do not lock in the open position when they are extended so if you force it down, I can see them snapping (at least they are replaceable). I wonder if you could still use the frame mount of the Hero 7 with it - the non rubberized exterior would actually be a blessing as the stock frame that came with the Hero7 Black was a huge pain in the butt when you wanted to remove the camera as it was toight.

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@Lawson Raider

congrat's Bud: the few that complained the photo more or less was really not doing justice. be so picky on it which I can understand their issue. Well we got no frame so they had to change the body, if the clips do not lock on the opening , they do not lock on the closing, and people are saying I can not open the bat door. simple slide fully down...

Yes lighter badder and BETTER. you can get a case for it I am sure that will be for the Media Mod and sure some one and made a aluminum case, will be hte way to go. Think like @Jateman said Works perfect the Hero 7 no need to update...

·
Registered
339 Posts
@lawson thats what i expected, im sticking with my hero 7 thank you

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did a 4K / 60fps continuous bench test record and after 30 min, the camera was hot enough to burn your fingers - just like the Hero 7 Black.... so...if you use 4K - try not to record for long periods of time.

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was the lens area the hot part still and the bottom base cooler?

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lens and bottom were very hot - the folding fingers - could burn your fingers.
Battery is towards the bottom makes no sense to me why that area is Hot. wher the heat is near the lens area?

·
Administrator
2,778 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
So only a curved adhesive mount? They even cut the second, straight, adhesive mount from the package this time?? wow.

On a side note, interested to know what all the coins/medals on the right side of your video are??

The entire camera gets very warm but the heat really radiates out towards the fingers (maybe because they are metal) but a second test it went about 45 min and died with battery showing 11% left (of course, could have been drained but did not see a overheat warning message.).

The coins in the video are various military and police challenge coins I been collecting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
3rd test - Hero 7 Black overheated at 51 min - Hero 8 Black got hot but battery did run out and recording stopped. So....initially the overheating concerns are not as high.... They both get hot enough to burn your fingers but the Hero 8 will not overheat and stop recording as the Hero 7 does - very important to know if you film 4K @ 60 fps.

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nice to see you are prompted when inserting a Hero 5, 6, 7 , or aftermarket battery that the camera certain features will not work.

Nice to see an Over heat prompt pop up when the c amera wassimply turned on and going through some simple manuever.

these are from a member or two , just noting.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanx for testing and reporting.
Poor thing that the cam is getting so hot filming in high resolution, that is what the cam made for- disappointing.

Ciao Rob

·
Administrator
2,778 Posts
Thanx for testing and reporting.
Poor thing that the cam is getting so hot filming in high resolution, that is what the cam made for- disappointing.

Ciao Rob
The Hero 7 was the same. Also note below:

3rd test - Hero 7 Black overheated at 51 min - Hero 8 Black got hot but battery did run out and recording stopped. So....initially the overheating concerns are not as high.... They both get hot enough to burn your fingers but the Hero 8 will not overheat and stop recording as the Hero 7 does - very important to know if you film 4K @ 60 fps.

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The Hero 7 was the same. Also note below:
Totally agree, not all over heat, I guess it can come down to the User as well the devices. never know.

FISH

·
Administrator
2,778 Posts
Also need to consider your ambient temperature.
Over here in the UK where its cold most of the time, Ive yet to ever experience an overheating problem!
If you are in a hotter climate, then just like any other electronic device, the device will run hotter......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts