Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you like or Dislike about he new Hero 8 Black:

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I like the new design in ways, but I also dislike a lot.

1 the USB port is covered the same way but with a larger battery door, losing the hdmi port.
2 the mod accessories look awesome but add bulk again.
3 no wireless battery charger, no bluetooth mic
4 metal fold down mount, that looks like an option for a tripod adapter for 3d printers. time will tell.
5 from 1.2mm 2mm lens glass, no more removable lenses.
6 front facing mic can add more noise but made for vlogging, used incorrectly that is?
7. Hypersmooth added to all frame rates but Boost limited?
8. Boost added crop to the video

these are just some things I like/dislike off the bat. I would have loved to seen a update to the Hero 7 then take our feedback and add to a newly designed camera and end the life of the Hero 7. Lets seewhat you like or dislike?

·
Administrator
2,778 Posts
Nothing new and revolutionary. Just in incremental update.

Don't like the non-removable lens cover.
Don't like that they didn't have a larger rear display - maybe even edge to edge.
Don't like the silly monochrome front screen that is frankly an embarrassment in 2019.
Kinda like and dislike the foldable mount. Its nice that its integrated. But when/if that breaks then how easy is it to replace/fix?.....

BUT, it still sets the benchmark with action cameras. Quality still looks amazing (although it still did with the Hero 7) and wouldn't mind trying Hypersmooth 2.

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back to a Supersuit or some 3rd party company making a frame to protect the lens.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Really like most everything except different batteries. Can’t share with a 7 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Batteries are interchangable Hero 8 to hero 7 the color is the difference with a updated chip for timewarp that uses just a micro more power. They did this color schem before not new. more or less its a company thing who they got from.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So Hero 8 batteries will work in a Hero 7 but not the other way around? Is that what you are saying?

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
interchangable.

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dislike: Love getting Less for more

Like Love getting a Better camera for less.

·
Administrator
2,778 Posts
So Hero 8 batteries will work in a Hero 7 but not the other way around? Is that what you are saying?

Hero 8 batteries will work in the Hero 7 as normal.

Hero 7 batteries will work in the Hero 8, however, hero 8 batteries have a higher discharge rate for the 'boost' options. Therefore some features will be limited if a Hero 7 battery is used in a Hero 8.

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sony IMX277
Sensor 12MP 44fps max @ full res, 1/2.3, 1.55 pixel size, SLVS-EC 8Lane

Analogix ANX7816 SlimPort transmitter for HDMI over USB-C

JBay camera should do just fine

·
Registered
339 Posts
i completely agree with Fish on the first post about dislikes.

There are onyl two things that i would like, the Timewarp with option to slow down to normal speed and that they finally added Presets , both things could be simply put into firmware upgrade and they would save costs of creating "new" camera. They even used the same GP1 chip from what i have heard. Like WTF Gopro ?

At least they dont force users to have that extra crop and gave us the "boost" option.

Im certainly not going to upgrade. I was thinking about the new Fusion (Max from now) but thats for 500 dollars, which will translate to 600 here where i live. If i will be forced to buy new camera i will go for Insta360 OneX most likely

·
Registered
339 Posts
Don't like the silly monochrome front screen that is frankly an embarrassment in 2019.

This should certainly NOT be ditched, as it saves battery when doing timelapse or long video while still giving preview of the battery and time recorded.

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like:

New Interface and agree with @Boznoz in ways. Love the New timewarp auto feature. DO not see how it needs more battery power to run it but you know Go-Pro they need to step the game up out there?

Over time I am sure my Likes and dislikes will grow better

·
Registered
83 Posts
The reason "Boost" gives you more crop is it using more of the frame to accomplish the stabilization - any EIS you will lose a portion of the frame - If the DJI Osmo Action and Hero 7 Black are compared side to side you will see DJI's claim of more smooth video is a result of it using more of the frame to accomplish the feat - so yes it may be smoother but you trade off footage. To me, not sure if I would use the Boost option or not depends - the Hypersmooth on the Hero 7 Black worked exceptionally well in my opinion and didn't sacrifice as much of the frame to do it.

I am not a fan of the nonreplaceable lens but in all reality, I have never in the history of 10 years of owning GoPro's had a cracked or broken lens so maybe that is a null issue - of course, if you do happen to break it then it sucks. GoPro claims it will survive a crash at 85mph so....real world will tell eventually. You could buy a lens protector for it to help some but if it goes bonk - then you have to ship it to GoPro to fix. Not a fan of that system but I think replaceable lens are gone.

Being compatible with Hero 7 and earlier batteries is nice - but the biggest plus is being able to use the charger to charge both - you could buy a few Hero 8 specific batteries and use your existing battery chargers (I presume most people use the external chargers anyways) to charge them.

The fold out mount - I am not sure if I am a fan - anything with hinges on a high stress mount makes me cringe...but they are replaceable so that at least is a relief.

The biggest shocker is they are still doing this with the GP1 chip so makes me wonder why this wasn't incorporated on the Hero 7 Black as far as the improved features...so this is just a revamped Hero 7 Black ----- that also begs the question -- heat...overheating on the higher framerates.

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well the killer gopro was not 100% waterproofed you had the bat door the lens protector and usb port door now you have no excuse just one door, a good reason why you see a newly designed camera same GP-1 chip.

I wonder again how many people will dunk their cameras wit the Media Mod and think its waterproofed?>

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well the killer gopro was not 100% waterproofed you had the bat door the lens protector and usb port door now you have no excuse just one door, a good reason why you see a newly designed camera same GP-1 chip.

I wonder again how many people will dunk their cameras wit the Media Mod and think its waterproofed?>

The mods are designed for vloggers for the most part - not for taking them on action footage - I am sure folks will forget that part of it so enjoy the show on that one. Lot of folks were speculating a GP2 chip because folks thought the GP1 chip was maxxed out with the Hero 7 Black.. I still am wagering folks will overheat the Hero 8 Black if they shoot 4k60 for an hour straight.

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The mods are designed for vloggers for the most part - not for taking them on action footage - I am sure folks will forget that part of it so enjoy the show on that one. Lot of folks were speculating a GP2 chip because folks thought the GP1 chip was maxxed out with the Hero 7 Black.. I still am wagering folks will overheat the Hero 8 Black if they shoot 4k60 for an hour straight.
Well Blog sites really did a job on all, even the Youtube gopro sponsored reps. And well no one showed the camera over heating yet, or dunked enterly. so lets see what happens when its in A real persons hand that has old stuff and thought things work perfect in this World.

·
Administrator
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hypersmooth now has control you have incriments to chose one of it is called HIGH. the modes are called

Hypersmooth OFF no crop

Hypersmooth ON 10% crop

Hypersmooth HIGH 10% crop

Hypersmooth Boost 25% crop

Protunes timewarp added.

new interfac so most he settings are in the swipe hidden for example if your using WB you do not see the 2K, 3K 4K untill you swipe the bar then it appears.

as Custome Short cuts are added t oteh live feed screen you can access now the MIc audio wind, Iso, sharpness where you no longer need to havt ohead into protune or other areas, right on the front

Last thing Record and info bullet is back on

these are some good likes . I must be having a bad day Lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am excited to test it out as soon as I get it - wish they released them in spring so could use them in the activities instead of October when most outdoor activities are winding down ( barring skiing).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts