GoPro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I have just received the GoPro camera and when we did the first video, it all looked quite nice, but in the evening the quality of video was quite bad, Ok it was dark, but my phone is way less grainy and also during the day, it just looks grainy even at 4k 60fps (please see attached video). I must admit I am very new to video, I bought the camera on the advice of a friend. We needed a camera to capture podiatric treatments (surgeries on feet and various other stuff). Normally a podiatrist would be located approximately 30cm away from a patient's foot. We initially considered either a phone camera on a tripod, but then it wouldn't have been possible due to constant rotation of practitioner around the foot. So we needed a device that could be placed on the head of a practitioner and for this purpose the GoPro looked ideal. But now, quality of video (graininess) aside I am not even sure that the level of detail captured would be sufficient as it is more of an outdoor landscape time camera. So I have a question:

Should I admit a mistake and return the camera as it isn't good for purpose or should I keep it and adjust the settings?

Do you see graininess and some jerkiness? That was shot in 4k 60fps.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This one was done with Huawei P20 Pro also 4k, level of detail is greater than GoPro, I take it it won't be possible to get this detail from Hero 7 Black?

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is very much so possible for you to get good quality video from a HERO7.

Do you have the video stabilization and the GoPro Protune turned on?

·
Registered
93 Posts
That is very interesting that even though you have both of them turned on, it is still shaky/poor quality. Try preforming a hard reset on your GoPro.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just switched this to 2700 and 24FPS and PT off, switched on extra light (we normally have it on during treatments) and currently daylight here.

Video just been uploaded so may not be HD yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The footage you just upload looks better than the first two IMO.

What may I ask will you be using the footage for?
As in description of OP, ideally would like closer shots of people's feet during surgery and treatments, around 30cm distance approximately, but I think GoPro can't do this with the original lense.

·
Administrator
9,950 Posts
No Pro:

Exposure Lock, press the backscreen long press and adjust. do not aim to the window, do aim away from it. DO add Lighting. and that may help

your option to return if not happy.

·
Administrator
9,950 Posts
So the light you used was 18 watts, you are to increase lighting , Led lighting can be used.

·
Registered
93 Posts
GoPro’s usually don’t focus any closer than 6 inches.

That is much more than 30 cm. You would need to get a micro lens for you. (you can buy these really cheap on Amazon.com)

If you increase lighting (as @Fish) said, this will help. I personally do this when ever I’m trying to film/take photos on a darker environment.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Dont forget that you will have much more light during surgery, try recording under the proper lighting , should be ok.

·
Administrator
9,950 Posts
GoPro is an Action camera. We see stunning photo's, timelapses Documentaries, etc.

Lighting is Key. lighting can come with a cost, it can make or break the shot, two good examples are the three video's;
1 is an smartphone led only with a gopro
2. the other is a gopro with 4 leds, the hero 7 with room lighting,
3. the other is a DJI Osmo Action with a flicker issue as lighting can cause issues when all was correctly set up.

Phone led

drain and led light

Osmo plumbing

Lighting is key:
I have top hats over 1000 watts of lighting, and I also have 4 15 watt led that throw 60 watts per, ask mewhick one brightens the shot better?

Exposure lock: long press the back screen during or before recording, what does that do? it levels out the background and foreground, Like you are in a car its dark, and the scene looking out is bright it over exposes the scene, when you adjust the Exposure lock it makes it all the correct scene. You can find that info online in youtube clips.

Scene set up. Your Scene is Looking into, you want to change that to be behind you, We try our best not to film to the Sun as that darkens everything. Lighting, again is key, I remember seeing a Movie being filmed at night. they used a giant Balloon , lit to get the scene correctly lit up. I seen areas that had Flood lights to get the night shots. I can never go out with the gopro or Osmo unless there was light

SO how do we get these shots, we need to practice and set the protunes up, DJI Osmo Action I don't bother setting up, as that is a Semi manual camera, a lot of ruined shots for me. GoPro:
Low light, there is a settings called Auto Low light it enables on at 60fps only, when chosen the lighting is low, the gopro says I am dropping fps to 30. increasing shutter to 60-120/sec the computer does it all. if you want to do it yourself. then you set protunes up:

24f is better for low light shots then 30, then 48 then 60. Adding shutter speed the rule is twice to 2.5 times, so if you are at 24f your shutter would be 48 or 60 1/48th-1/60th. lets add some complication to the factor.

EIS Hypersmooth Loves to ruin low light shots. in order to stop that Jitter the shutter will be increased some times the 2 times rule applies and sometimes you have to increase it a lot more.

the higher the res, the finer the shot, and when doing low light the answer is to tripod the camera, turn off Hypersmooth Even though the room has light that our eyes say I can see, the camera is another story.

the 1/2.3rd sensor that is. So now the next step is to get rid of the grain ISO the lower the darker, the higher the lighter. to high to much grain. We said 24f enables Low light correct, now what do you think ISO does? It enables the Low light when does it enable it? ISO 800 is just before it enables, and ISO 1600 enables.

4K wide, 24f ISO 100 min 1600 max. now if you want a lighter video you start adjusting EV value I normally drop it down to a -0.5 because it may smooth out the grain.

So as I noted 4k wide 24f ISO min 100, max 1600, Ev-0.5 I drop my sharp to med the default setting gopro raised to high, to much sharpness they know that med was the default not high. the only other thing t odo is set the shutter to 1/60th-90th, and then WHite balance, for the look you want make it soft, blue, the Kelvins I do may be around 5K

So a lot of time has gone in to this and How I see it (for me) got 45 minutes to shoot and all set up, will this work out for my needs.

1. should I have gotten a hero 8 that I could have saved profiles,
2 should I have gotten H ero 5 session a lot smaller and lighter.
3. should I have gotten a surgical/medical camera that was meant for the job.

We understand An Action camera can be used for all. Cooking show,like top chief, reality shows like the Amazing race, all use gopros, even Major movies have used gopro's, and today people want more out of a GoPro.

I simply get up and Go. took me years to get some excellent results learning that a indoor shot where I am able to see real clear, the gopro failed to record clear. I had to play with protunes. and that I was able to get the shots i wanted.
took me forever to get this to come out cleat and it was a hero 4 black at the times

Celebrity Silhouette Cruises Last day e Part Seventy Nine GPH4BE

I hope the post made some sense, I try to help out. I just know low light is not what these cameras are good for.

GoPro Hero 8 comparison Low light DJI Osmo Action

GoPro hero 7 Black Low light shots

thank you FISH

·
Administrator
9,950 Posts
this demonstrates low light of a camera for me just wanted to add to the topic. when all set up to your Liking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Firstly, thank you very much for your previous posts, very informative. I think the main problem is that Gopro turned out to be the wrong camera for the job, this is because our customer survey's result suggested that people would be more interested in viewing a closeup procedure rather than a bird's-eye view where detail isn't seen and this is the flaw of gopro that it can't capture this detail. The light is of course also very important, but not the main issue at the moment. So I now need to work out whether our Canon D200 can do this for us on a tripod and probably using a close range lense for finer detail of capturing video as if viewer is located around 10-15cm away from the patient's foot that's being operated on.

·
Administrator
9,950 Posts
As you see Gopro is "An Action Camera" that captures the shot. it is a Fisheye lens, Gopro's Trade mark. 13-17MM lens (around) Today its about Gopro being a Webcam, GoPro being a DSLR etc.. I yet to see a Gopro be held by a News Person, see more smartphones then DSLR cameras.
A GoPro may not be the right indoor camera, especially if it is a 1/2.3rd sensor that requires Lighting. It is a great Outdoor camera, if asked. why I posted video's.

No matter what camera you have , or get, that be all you on the Survey you're doing. If it is 30CM or 10-15CM.

Lighting is key, if you want to invest in a ragecam ribcage spend 1000.00 and have your own C mounts you can get the shot you want, but again like above Lighting is Key

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took Gopro on the road today, it was extremely sunny in places, should I just leave it in Auto mode when driving and amount of light changes from one shot to another considerably?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts