GoPro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the in-built mic is rubbish on the 6. But I'm having issues where the volume of the sound recording seems to drop.

To give an example, GoPro mounted in a car, when stationary you can hear the voice really clearly. But once you start moving, the volume of the voice drops so low you can't hear it.

I assume the Gopro is trying to do something funky in the background and is maybe detecting white-noise from the tyres/engine?? On the recordings you can't really hear this sort of noise and in-car in person the driving sounds are very low.

Can I do anything to stop it doing whatever it is doing and just record the sounds as they are?

I know there are a few audio controls in the menu. I've tried the 'Stereo only' and Wind only' modes. But it didn't seem to make any difference I could detect in this regard.

And I had been using the Raw Audio Track setting in OFF

Will setting this to Med or High likely result in better results?

I know an external mic is the answer, but I'm trying to avoid the cost of the adapter at the moment and don't really like the bulk it would add.

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
Wind is going to lower any mic input down. sterio is the way to go, and using the WAV at High is going to be a 19db gain or just the normal of the camera, b/c using a Mic adapter will have the ability to increase that +19Db.

sample to the viewers, if they came across the same issue. gopro is an Action camera so anything that is 6 feet or further and you want perfect sound, use a wireless mic on you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wind is going to lower any mic input down. sterio is the way to go, and using the WAV at High is going to be a 19db gain or just the normal of the camera, b/c using a Mic adapter will have the ability to increase that +19Db.

sample to the viewers, if they came across the same issue. gopro is an Action camera so anything that is 6 feet or further and you want perfect sound, use a wireless mic on you
Thanks, but maybe I'm not making myself clear.

There is no wind per say, the camera is inside a car.

But once you start moving the hum of the engine seems to result in the voice sound becoming very very low. I want to know, will any of the in-built settings stop this happening or give better results?

It's almost like it is doing something akin to Dolby Noise Reduction you'd get on an old cassette tape. It clearly does something as instead of letting the voice remain the same volume, it lowers it down and seems to amplify the road/engine noise. I've used an old tape digital cam corder and it doesn't do this and neither does my iPhone 11, so it must be something programming wise on the Hero 6 that makes it do this.

Here is an example:

Interestingly when I drove an electric vehicle the issue, while still there is not as pronounced. Which again leads me to think the GoPro is doing some sort of artificial processing and sound compression based on the noise of an engine. Can it be turned off or stopped from doing this?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
deffently something you should pass to gopro that is not normal to drop like that, what happens If you face the camera to you, the same?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts