GoPro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like up to date advice on increasing the length of time I can use my two Hero 4 Silver cameras: when fishing in the kayak, it's usually not easy or convenient to get hold of my cameras (can't reach 'em without going ashore!) and swap fresh batteries into them. I know there's something called a "Bacpac", but might I be able to power a GoPro from the 12v battery that powers my fishfinder? Not sure what its amperage is, or what the GoPro requires.
Otherwise, if there's a compact & light add-on like this Bacpac thing, are there different models?
Thanks, G

·
Registered
480 Posts
i suppose any cable and external usb battery pack will do

·
Administrator
9,576 Posts

·
Administrator
2,861 Posts
Old video for the Hero 3, but its also relevant to the Hero 4:

Or you could use an external battery pack and still keep the camera water resistant using something like this:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your prompt help, gentlemen. The power-regulator connection leads detailed by Fish and Ifti look just right - but those reviews are from several years ago and I haven't yet located a UK supplier. One pro-video site lists on special offer the previous DV-GP3 lead, not sure if this would suit the Hero 4 Silver. I'm reluctant to hot-wire a lead direct from my 12v fishfinder battery direct into the GoPro. But now I know what to look for.
rgds G

·
Administrator
9,576 Posts
be the only route for the H4S. you can use the USb port but it will only charge on Standby

·
Administrator
2,861 Posts
Thanks for your prompt help, gentlemen. The power-regulator connection leads detailed by Fish and Ifti look just right - but those reviews are from several years ago and I haven't yet located a UK supplier. One pro-video site lists on special offer the previous DV-GP3 lead, not sure if this would suit the Hero 4 Silver. I'm reluctant to hot-wire a lead direct from my 12v fishfinder battery direct into the GoPro. But now I know what to look for.
rgds G

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again, Ifti - you know your way around! That CVP company looks promising as a source for kit. The item in question is £30, acceptable if I connect direct to the 12v battery I already have but if I start buying portable battery-packs too, the cost will climb ever higher! I don't want to fill my kayak with too much stuff.
You might be interested to know that I found this Amazon item:
seems to me I can remove the cigarette-lighter plug and connect it to my battery terminals, job done for £20. What do you think?
rgds G

·
Administrator
9,576 Posts
two alegator clips a pos and neg to the 12v battery, the unit already is a converter to 5.0vdc. you can not plug hte gopro into 12 only you'll fry the camera, you will need to use a power bank or this wit hthe 12 bat. you can get the cheapers one around and do the same

·
Administrator
2,861 Posts
Thanks again, Ifti - you know your way around! That CVP company looks promising as a source for kit. The item in question is £30, acceptable if I connect direct to the 12v battery I already have but if I start buying portable battery-packs too, the cost will climb ever higher! I don't want to fill my kayak with too much stuff.
You might be interested to know that I found this Amazon item:
seems to me I can remove the cigarette-lighter plug and connect it to my battery terminals, job done for £20. What do you think?
rgds G
Looks like it will do the same - although currently out of stock..... as its an older GoPro, and an accessory that is no longer used with the last few generations of cameras, I question how quickly stock will be replenished, or whether the manufacturer is even making the accessory any more!
I have used CVP before, they are a reputable company.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like it will do the same - although currently out of stock..... as its an older GoPro, and an accessory that is no longer used with the last few generations of cameras, I question how quickly stock will be replenished, or whether the manufacturer is even making the accessory any more!
I have used CVP before, they are a reputable company.
Yes, I'd noticed it was out of stock - the supplier invites me to order, then be notified when it's available - but I wouldn't do that. Same/similar item is on Ebay at a slightly higher price. Might get it.
Thanks, G

·
Administrator
2,861 Posts
Yes, I'd noticed it was out of stock - the supplier invites me to order, then be notified when it's available - but I wouldn't do that. Same/similar item is on Ebay at a slightly higher price. Might get it.
Thanks, G
See if you can find the waterproof version - the version you (and I) linked to isn't suitable for wet environments......
The waterproof version is just comes with a back door - unless you can make your own from a BacPac back door.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See if you can find the waterproof version - the version you (and I) linked to isn't suitable for wet environments......
The waterproof version is just comes with a back door - unless you can make your own from a BacPac back door.......
I take your point, but I don't use my kayak-mounted GoPros in waterproof cases: they eliminate the use of lenshoods and filters, and make access more difficult. I'm not doing white-water stuff or surfing! I fish in France on calm inland waters when there's no wind, the kayak is stable, I make sure that no electronic kit gets underwater or splashed. I might put a camera or connecting lead inside a plastic bag to shield it from accidental water drops off paddles.
rgds G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts