GoPro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

I have a hero 4 silver and i have been having some really weird issues with it that make it super unreliable. Most of the times when i turn it on the preview is just black, the text that shows the mode, battery life, etc. is all there but other than that it's a black screen. It will let me open up the menu and make change modes but freezes as soon as i make any kind of selection.

I have tried using 2 different msd cards, both are sandisk extreme plus, i even cleared both cards of everything and reloaded the camera software, issues still continue. I have tried rebooting, changing batteries, changing startup modes, etc.

OCCASIONALLY i can get it to work proper only to have the camera completely freeze on me, and on even rarer occassions she will work flawlessly but 90% of the time i am batteling with it.

Any ideas recommendations? camera has ALWAYS been babied, never dropped or touched water outside of the housing, i called gopro and they attempted to "trouble shoot" but ultimately told me to buy a new camera and offered me a discount.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi Crafty and Welcome to the Forum,

By reloading the camera software do you mean firmware? Did you update it manually or through either GoPro Studio or the GoPro phone app?

Thanks,

Kareem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sorry the firmware! I have done it manually both times

I have also attached an image of the black screen/lack of preview i get, and sometimes i get a preview but it is very very dark. I have images but my post count is not allowing me to share :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sucks! tomorrow is international pillow fight day in hong kong and i was hoping to snag some fun footage but i can never rely on the gopro anymore

·
Registered
784 Posts
is the issue just with the display/preview? Meaning, are you able to record video, if you ignore the display freezes? Can you enable the wifi feature and use the phone app to adjust the settings or does it freeze when you do that as well? You can enable wifi without the need to go to the menu by simply clicking the side button and holding it down for a couple of seconds.

Let me know if any of this works.

Kareem

·
Administrator
9,960 Posts
Hey everyone

I have a hero 4 silver and i have been having some really weird issues with it that make it super unreliable. Most of the times when i turn it on the preview is just black, the text that shows the mode, battery life, etc. is all there but other than that it's a black screen. It will let me open up the menu and make change modes but freezes as soon as i make any kind of selection.

I have tried using 2 different msd cards, both are sandisk extreme plus, i even cleared both cards of everything and reloaded the camera software, issues still continue. I have tried rebooting, changing batteries, changing startup modes, etc.

OCCASIONALLY i can get it to work proper only to have the camera completely freeze on me, and on even rarer occassions she will work flawlessly but 90% of the time i am batteling with it.

Any ideas recommendations? camera has ALWAYS been babied, never dropped or touched water outside of the housing, i called gopro and they attempted to "trouble shoot" but ultimately told me to buy a new camera and offered me a discount.

I can turn my camera on and go through the camera without a MSD card, report back let us know if you can do that, for a minutes time, it's worth a shot

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a known issue and I am here to let you guys know GoPro does not give 2 sh*ts about their products or users.
Tech support responds like a recorded message, and email support? what a joke.
And before the flames start, I have tried every trick I could find on the net, it's just a bad unit. I used it only 5-6 times in the last 2 years,...and I am pissed by the apathy they have shown me.

My issue:
unit was bought new in 2015, 2 year warranty, used a hand full of times, stowed in a hard case in garage when not in use.
I go to use it and it just doesn't work.
The camera is in pristine condition, and I am not one of those people who breaks something and then blames the manufacturer, ****, I own a business myself, I get it. But this is just F'd up.
I'm not a pro photographer, just like most of the users out there, and use the unit only for personal stuff.
It was stored without battery / SD card in it.
Went to fire it up and check for updates, (I have drones / other electronics, so I'm not a complete motard to this stuff), and the unit freezes up after 2-3 button pushes.
Connects to camera, will NOT update or work at all.
Computer gives "bad descriptor" message, so can't be seen on computer, (tried 2 different computers), really had to call in the heavy weight friends of mine to see what was going on behind the scenes.
Tried new SD cards / batteries, same sh*t.
It's just a bad f'n unit,....
So I pay $400 for a piece of crap, and this is what GoPro offers,..see below

This is pathetic, I can get better pricing on my own,....but this is what they offer me.
Look at the hoops they also want me to jump through to have the privelage of paying more to them than what I can get on my own? send it in to get a manual discount? Really?

This is why I refuse to buy any more of their products, I will be selling all my GoPro mounts and peripherals and use that money to buy something else.
****, I might just light it all on fire and upload the video as shot on their competitions units.
This is by far the worst customer service I have seen anywhere.

Here's what they sent back to me after I sent them the original receipts AND multiple pics of the camera itself showing the condition of the unit, (again, the unit is in pristine condition)

From GoPro:
Hi Steve,

Good day!

Unfortunately, it shows that this kind of situation is not covered by our one-year warranty period. However, we still want to help you out as best as we can by offering a discount towards a purchase of a new camera available on GoPro.com. Typically, we do not offer this but we would like to give a one time exception to this for you.

The process goes like this:

1. Customer returns the damaged camera to us.
2. Warehouse receives and scans the camera in our warehouse inventory.
3. We let customers know that they can place the order for the new camera over the phone then we apply the discount manually on the system.

Here's the price list:

HERO6 Black
Standard price: $499.99
Discounted price: $399.99

HERO5 Black
Standard price: $299.99
Discounted price: $239.99

If you have any questions or concerns aside from what is stated initially, please feel free to include it in your reply to this email. You can also refer to this case number: 04490364

Have a good day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts