Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

Me and my mate are on a 6 months trip in India and Nepal now. My mate brought his 1,5 year old GoPro Hero 3+ on the trip with all gear to do awesome videos. The problem is that the camera is TOTALLY unusable now. The firmware is v03.03 and we have tried 2 different SD cards, one from Samsung and Lexar. The weirdest part is that even with no SD the camera hangs on startup.

We have two different batteries (different brands) and still same problem comes up with them both. So i have excluded the problem being the SD card/s and Battery/ies as requested by GoPro support. My only conclusion now is that the firmware is a bit wacky. Because when the cam is working we can take around 5-15 pictures before it hangs, or record around 30 sec film.

I think our last resort is this forum, anyone have ANY ideas on what we can do to get this camera working as normal. My final though has been to downgrade to a much older firmware and see if that works. Problem is i cant find any old firmware for the cam.

This is very annoying since we have already started the trip and are up in the Himalayas going on adventures and we cant use the cam =( So if anyone has any idea how to sort this out we both will be grateful to you =))

Many thanks!
/Martin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm cant edit the post, wanted to add that we dont know if this is the Silver or Black version since he has no clue. He thinks he remembers getting a remote but not sure. Is there a way to see what version of the cam this is =) ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Searched on the Serial Number and its the Black edition. Will try to update the firmware for the black edition since we have always thought its the silver one. Ill be back with an update if this solves the issue =)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Best option is to manually install the firmware again. You said it hangs up with no SD card. What does it do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i have installed the 03.03 firmware 3 times now because after every firmware install we can use it for MAX 2-4 minutes.

With no SD it just starts, says no SD found and then freezes. This is the most weirdest part. At least it should be usable for some images with no SD in but no, its a full on freeze, no button works and the only thing one can do is to remove the battery to boot it up again...but then again it just freezes again....so its a crazy loop =(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried the firmware from another topic here and its v02.00, still does the same thing. Thinking we will never resolve this weird issue...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would try resetting it back to factory settings and then go to GoPro website and get the firmware update to your pacific GoPro Camera you have..Start of with a fresh GoPro settings and manually install the firmware updates,I would try this to see if it would help,it could be a corrupt firmware causing the issue or it could also be a bad Micro SD card..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Already did that, 3 times from the gopro site, 1 time from a firmware here, tested 2 different sd cards, the same problem still persists. GoPro just freezes...

·
Registered
116 Posts
That sucks and to make matter worse your already on your trip..Is there a way maybe you could contact GoPro support as this maybe a issue with the GoPro camera itself since you pretty much tried every thing that has been suggested..

You said it starts with out the SD card in your GoPro then freezes,I do not think the GoPro would even be usable to take pictures with out having a SD Card in your GoPro as there is no place to store the pictures you try to take..I am no expert but with everything you have tried it sounds more like the GoPro camera itself is the problem..

The other thing is even with out a SD card installed the GoPro should start right up and you mention it starts but freezes right up which is what makes me believe it is the camera itself,I not even sure if a older firmware update would fix the camera.I have looked I can not find a place where to get the older firmware update for your camera,I think your best bet is to contact GoPro via phone to see if they can help you with the issue your having and if they think if you where to reset your camera with a older Firmware update if it would solve the issue or if there is a actual problem with the camera itself..

I really wish I could help you out more but I think your best bet right now is to contact GoPro customer service by phone..

But maybe someone else here has a better idea what you could try..

It really sucks that this had to happen to you on your trip..

Let us know if you do get your GoPro fixed..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.