GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hero 3 Black user here. Back in the day (i.e. 2017), I used to use GoPro Studio to convert the h.264 .mp4 GoPro footage to .avi using the Cineform AVI codec, and used the .avi clips in Sony/Magix Vegas Pro with no issues. Since abandoning Studio and Cineform, GoPro apparently has no official recommendation for an output codec and/or container to uncompress this footage, and their helpdesk is a total waste of time (had a “tech support” person tell me that my .mp4 footage “needed to be converted to .mp4”). Vegas Pro 18 has issues with unprocessed h.264 footage (stutter/flicker in renders even on a high-powered system with small, single-clip projects with project and render settings inherited from the clip), and their tech support says the issue is with the compressed footage. GoPro's own webpages say "the H.264 file format used in camera is not designed for editing". Transcoding is a bit of a PITA, but it works, and this was GoPro's recommend workflow from day one. There are many other video converters out there (Wondershare, VLC, etc.), but does anyone have a recommendation for an output codec and container for uncompressing h.264 footage from older GoPros to prep footage for use in 3rd-party NLEs (specifically VP18)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If Vegas has no proxy option, try using a video editor with built in transcoding, like BogartSE. A demo version is here: (LINK REMOVED)
Feedback if it worked better is welcome.

BTW: flickering can also be caused by a wrong shutter-speed or a too high contrast setting.

·
Administrator
9,314 Posts
Sony/Magix I am sure has Proxies,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry if I wasn't clearer. It's not an edit/preview thing, it's a render thing, i.e. flicker and stuttering occur in the rendered output clip, not while I'm editing. Vegas does have proxies, and it says "Video proxies are being created" when I add this footage, but they do not appear to have any effect on this output. My current machine should have plenty of RAM (64 on the board and 8 on the GPU) to work without proxies. I also worked for years without issue with this same camera and settings (1920x1080 @ 60 fps) on slower machines and older versions of Vegas. Unless VP18 has some peculiar allergy to the h.264 .mp4 encoding, then the only differences are (1) I previously transcoded the clips first to .avi using GoPro Studio, and (2) my current editing setup has two monitors running at high res (3840x2160), but to me this shouldn't impact rendering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.