GoPro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have the device - on my hero 2 I was able to charge both camera and bacpac via connection on the bac pac. Is this no longer the case with the hero 3 black and v2 bacpac? I read that you can, but it didnt specify how to set it up. The manual states it supports pass through charging, first itll charge the camera, then the bacpac. It just doesnt state, do you hook up to camera first, or charge through the bacpac?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is part of the email I

This is part of the email I received from tech support:
"Unfortunately, the pass through charging is not working at this time. Hopefully we can fix this problem with the next firmware update. What this means is that you WILL have to charge each unit separately. I apologize for the inconvenience. Having both connected at the same time should not harm the camera in any way as long as the camera is not recording.."

So what did you do to get it to charge through?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didnt lol. I only started

I didnt lol. I only started messing with charge through last night. First I tried (with a completely dead camera and bacpac), charging through the bacpac as with my hero 2. The camera came on, which I then turned it off, because I thought that was odd. The bacpac also comes on and LOOKS like its charging. However after a few hours, nothing - dead. Then I tried charge through via the camera - the camera fully charges, nothing to the bacpac though. The only thing I've yet to try is leaving the camera ON. Maybe that makes a difference. Although if GoPro said no - then chances are theres nothing to do but wait for an update. Either way I have enough chargers, and it ends up being quicker to charge them separate anyway. Would just be more convenient I guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having an odd thing

I'm having an odd thing happen with my Hero3 & battery bacpac v2.

I too need to charge them separately, but what's more annoying is that when I have the bacpac on and have used the camera, after I turn off the camera it comes back on automatically after being off for about 2-3 seconds. I've run my batteries all the way down because I didn't know about this issue. Anyway, has anyone else noticed the camera comes on automatically when the bacpac is on - after you've used the camera? If I have not turned the camera on, and put the bacpac on, it does not come on. Only adter turning the camera on. This behavior stops after removing the bacpac. Very annoying.

Thanks

Chad

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know it's an older thread but...

I have the H3, am using the H2 battery bacpac, and hope to have some answers soon as I'm trying different setups right now.

Things I can report so far:

1. The H3 without a battery will operate with the H2 battery bacpac (BP) with a battery.

2. The H3 with a battery will operate with the H2 BP attached without a battery. I don't know why you'd do that but I'm just trying to cover the bases.

3. Inspired by a comment above, I'm running down an H3 battery to try these tests:
- will the H3 battery charge using the H2 BP USB port with a battery NO
- will the H3 battery charge using the H2 BP USB port without a battery NO

4. And these tests:
- will the H2 BP charge using the H3 USB port with a battery NO
- will the H2 BP charge using the H3 USB port without a battery NO

Suggestions are welcome!

Other observations:
Interesting and similar to as reported in a post above, when I plugged the charger into the empty H2 BP USB port attached to an H3 with a depleted battery, the camera turned on.

The H3 will function with a USB cable attached to an empty H2 BP or one with a battery in it regardless of charge.

The H3 will not function using the USB cable without a battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts