GoPro Forums banner

Hero 10 is turning on by itself while charging

6K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  markroberts 
G
#1 ·
Hero 10 turns on while charging it through the Media Mod.
Why is that? and or what is the solutions please?

#5 ·
It is a known issue that many do not report to Gopro. it randomally happens not every time, what can be the fix, a power only usb cable with no Tx/Rx cables just a red/black. Until gopro writes new firmware, or releases a new camera this will always be an issue

#7 ·
Could the camera be communicating with a mobile device via GoPro App or a Smart Remote? If this is not the case, try performing a manual firmware update, followed by a factory reset. Remove the battery from the camera, replace it.
After the update and reset, it would be best to determine battery integrity to keep the camera running smoothly. To do this, perform a short record time test. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

#15 ·
thanks thats an interesting observation, i've also noted (though it's not substantiated) that the battery itself may be an issue - found a page on google a few days ago where someone had similar issues with a Shenzhen battery, had a replacement which came from somewhere else and problem solved. Mine is a shenzhen battery

are there any downsides to that downgrade?

#16 ·
I have the hero 9 and it does the same thing. Here’s what I’ve figured out so far. When I’m using a random usb-c, it will turn on when I plug it in and even though I turn it off, it will just keep turning back on while still plugged in. If I use the short usb-c that came with the GoPro or the mod, it will turn on when I first plug it in but once I turn it back off, it stays off. I do not have a solution to make it so it doesn’t turn on at all when plugging it in. However, it only takes about 10 seconds to pull the mod off and charge it the usual way. I know we shouldn’t have to but I’m guessing that we’re stuck with it doing this until they create a fix for this.

#17 ·
Hi guys, signed up really just to post this...

I am running Labs firmware v1.72.70 on GoPro 9 and I believe the Extras setting !MWAKE=0 (WAKE, applied from QRControl app with Permanent checked) stops the GoPro booting by itself with the Media Mod. At least, my GoPro hasn't gone flat after a few days whereas previously it was flat overnight.

Haven't tested thoroughly so will need someone else to confirm if this makes a difference. And I am unsure if there is a toggle somewhere in the stock firmware to control this option.

WAKE Feature Information: "HERO9/10 only: Wake on any power addition, but only if there is a delay action pending. Inserting a battery or the connection of USB power, will boot up the camera to continue a script after a power failure."

#18 ·
When my GoPro9's are connected to a Media Mod and turned off, it will turn on (uncommanded) when plugged into a charger of any type. I've tried charging via a computer USB, a power bank, a car 12v outlet and a solar panel! Are there any other choices? When the GoPro 9 is in the Media Mod and then connected to any charging source, it turns on! (Nearly every time!)
This means the battery takes much longer to get to full charge because the thing is ON! It is reported so often that it is a widespread issue. GoPro are ignoring this issue.
I've followed every thread and done whatever they suggest (factory resets, firmware updates - even if at the latest firmware, connecting to power when the camera is off or on and then turning it on or off). Nothing fixes it and GoPro still suggest it's a dud cable or charger or something else.
I have 4 GoPro 9's and 2 Media Mods. It can't be a statistical anomaly. GoPro, get your act together and fix it. "Wake on Power" above seems like a good place for your coders to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.