GoPro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted a GoPro for about 2 years now. I am going to Maldives in a month and my partner asked me to get an "underwater camera".

So this is given me the excuse to add a GoPro to my list.

So now the difficult part... What GoPro?!

Initially I was going for the 'session'. Small light waterproof cheap.

Then Hero4... However extras... Waterproof case, extra batteries etc.

Now I am stuck on between the Hero4 and Hero5 Session.

Problem is, when I first looked at the Hero5 Session it was £180 on amazon, now £300... Hero4 was £206 now £320.

I do not care about LCD screens as I use my iphone as a monitor/ to set things up.

It needs to be small, 1080p 60fps, good image quality, waterproof, cost efficient.

What are the best brands for gear?

·
Registered
299 Posts
For a little bit more, go with the Hero 5.

If I remember correctly, Hero session does 1080p/60 and the Hero5 session does 1080p/90. Both also does 1440 but Hero only does 30FPS and Hero5 does 60FPS.

And Hero5 session also does 4k. Just a bit better specs for £20 and worth it in my opinion.

·
Administrator
9,632 Posts
Yes same run time in HD1080P and 2K7 is limited to 48fps you also get liear fov in the latest version

·
Registered
10 Posts
hero 5 black

I was facing the same problem three weeks ago.
I went gopro 5 instead of previous versions if you don't have previous models when you up grade batteries mic port are not same not much but thought I point out.
I went with 5 because image stabilization, longer battery life, No external case for water proof
up to 30ft I think. Also can change lens when scratched voice control I think is new.and could be other stuff.
I went gopro 5 black over session because you can change battery if needed screen is good if you need to take pictures the wife likes that feature I also thought of getting session just to have.
If money is not that much of a factor and you don't have other earlier model gopro.the 5 would give you considerable more for the little extra you pay.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I tried the Session, didnt work for me, because I could not always access my phone to frame up shots, or change settings. Especially at the pool, on my quad, ect. Plus my activities were longer than 60 minutes. I could not wait for the camera to charge when I could just swap a battery and keep it moving. The H5B was the only option for me. I love being able to see exactly what I'm getting without using any other tools.

Something you need to consider.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the best gear to get besides the official GoPro equipment.

I heard stories of people diving and the GoPro thumb screws falling out; recommending a metal thumbscrew?

·
Registered
131 Posts
GoPro 5 Black is £400 off the shelf which seems ridiculous
Yeah it's a little pricey, but you get a lot of bang for your extra money.

Examples: More dynamic range, protune audio and video, RAW photo options, touchscreen, manual exposure options, 120 fps 1080P, video timelapse mode, GPS tagging, ect

I remember buying a HD hero for $300 bucks 6 years ago. The H5 at $399 is a great deal for this much camera. The only thing that rivals it is Garmin Virb.

Next step from this is a larger sensor for more dynamic range in this year's model. We will see what they come up with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it's a little pricey, but you get a lot of bang for your extra money.

Examples: More dynamic range, protune audio and video, RAW photo options, touchscreen, manual exposure options, 120 fps 1080P, video timelapse mode, GPS tagging, ect

I remember buying a HD hero for $300 bucks 6 years ago. The H5 at $399 is a great deal for this much camera. The only thing that rivals it is Garmin Virb.

Next step from this is a larger sensor for more dynamic range in this year's model. We will see what they come up with.

When is the estimated release date for 2017 model?

·
Registered
299 Posts
What I would like to see is OIS. Forget about 4k60. It's nice to have but it's absolutely useless for now. I know very few people with 4k TVs and phones showing resolution higher then 960 is just a waste of bandwidth. At 960 on a 5.5" screen, you are hitting what your retina can see so if it's higher, you will not notice it.

I shoot in 1080p60 and I'm very happy with the results. But I went with the Hero5 Black because the Hero4 with a screen is only slightly cheaper then the Hero5, Hero5 is capable of withstanding water splashes without a casing, and has UsB-C.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts