GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with the "high speed" camera case, I hear almost nothing and with the other case, I hear all wind noise. My goal is to get some motor noise into the mix with the camera sitting right where it is: on the passenger side of my front mount intercooler endtank. Is there perhaps an external mic in the works for later models? Is there a different case I don't know about?

Any help is appreciated. An example of a video without any real sound is attached. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i put some low tach blue tape

i put some low tach blue tape on the back of the "open" housing.......it was a slight improvement on the wind noise, but my cam is inside the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The blue tape idea is a good

The blue tape idea is a good one.

If there's still too much wind noise with the tape then you could get an extra waterproof housing and drill a couple of small holes in the back door. Experiment with the size/quantity of holes until you get the desired sound level. If you try it let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Forget the external mic option and go with a Zoom HD1 pocket recorder. You can attach it where you like, but it still needs a dead cat added to it to reduce the wind noise even more. Someone once suggested usingone of those fluffy dog toys for the material to make a dead cat cover with. I have several laying about the house, but each time I try to snatch one from the dog, he growls and bares his teeth at me. I don't believe he appreciates what I have in mind for his toy, no matter how worn out it is. :)

A modified housing that is drilled to accept a mic adaptor and external mic can work, but I'd also put a micover/stickover onto the back door of the skeleton door for it before use. A micover won't always ensure no wind noise is present, expecially if your driving directly into the wind with it, but it will help reduce the external wind noise.

The Sony dual mics work well for what your trying to do. You can easily add a mic cord or even use an external clip-on mic that comes with a cord. Using it protected behind a wind screen would likely help with an improvement in sound/audio. Good luck on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.