GoPro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first GoPro Hero 3 Silver edition and have recorded 2 videos both about 20 seconds long. I was holding the camera in my hand and not in the waterproof case. When I viewed the videos on my Windows laptop, the audio seems EXTREMELY LOW. Even when the camera was right in front of my face. I have done the required update already so I'm not sure if I just need to adjust a certain setting to fix this...or am I out of luck?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same trouble. After last update its so quiet, like no sound at all. Just send a mail to GoPro support team. Waiting for respond.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

In case anyone cares, I've been in contact with GoPro through their customer support email ticket system and they've been quite prompt and up front with me while trying to solve my issue with low audio during playback.

They asked me to take a short video and send it to them. Once they got the clip they replied to me saying I could have a faulty camera and I should start the process of returning it under warranty. Too bad I've only owned it 1 week and haven't gotten to truly use it yet before I have to return it. I did have to scan my original receipt and attach that to another email with my camera's serial number. After that I followed a hyperlink from the gentleman in customer support to verify and update my address with GoPro to ensure they had my address for return shipping of a new camera.

Let's hope, when this is over, they take care of their customer and do the right thing...replace my camera and keep my business. I've been thinking of getting a GoPro for over 2 years so I must admit, I'm a little sour on them right now...but I can be a very loyal customer as long as they treat me right and so far so good.

·
Administrator
9,365 Posts
Before the update was it perfect? that is the real question. If after the update and it went lower, then we would know it is the sound?

Try a external mic test, then if it is still low. It's either the firmware or the camera.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Silver 3.

Very low sound on playback although better with head phones. As I said 2nd GP arrived today and tried it out but no better than the 1st.Not impressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very disappointed with the go pro silver and their customer services.Reported the low audio on play back on the second GP in three weeks this week. Received a reply back of help and then nothing from them . They requested a video to be sent to them which I and friends could not do (any help to do this would be good please or their email address.) and have not heard any thing back from them since. Looks like a send back ,refund and my go pro days finished .A lot of friends and buisness colleagues are wanting the cameras but would not sadly recommend them to them.Wanted to use the GP with my business but will look else where.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What viewer are you using? I switched to VLC recently and the first time I used it the volume was so low I turned up the volume on the computer to little effect. Then I found a volume setting within the VLC program itself. It was set to way less than 100%. Changed that all was well again.

This will only help you if you are using VLC and are not aware of the setting. Here is hoping for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well ,just been told that my 2nd GP bought in 4 weeks is faulty.Emails between myself and go Pro mount to over 40 and not happy with the customer service.Enough said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
are you looking into the setup menu of your GP before you shoot your videos? it may be set to 70 and then as someone stated, your sound may not come out as loud as you want it.

along with that, if you are watching the movies with the VLC player, you may try to up the volume in the program to 100% and see if that works

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tried every thing with no success,after over 50 emails with go pro who finally said the gp was faulty ,sent it back to Wex who have been great and upgraded to the black,so will see how this goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too have a low audio issue with my silver since updating, waiting for a return authorization from GoPro.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

I got this from gopro support:

"
There were changes made to the audio gain that were meant to deal with the crackling issue.

That being said, updating your camera will remove the crackling issue you have although you will also have slightly lower volume in your audio.
"

crackling issue:
http://www.goproforums.com/15-gopro-hd-hero3/1321-gopro-hero-3-crackling-static-sound-vehicle-even-out-clear-case-held-hand.html

By what you guys are saying, it seems the audio volume become lower but not so slightly.
Right now (i didnt upgrade to last firmware), my recorded audio is fine apart of the crackling audio issue.

So i dont know what to do. Upgrade or not upgrade that's the question.

If it were possible to do a safe downgrade, i could try the new firmware and go back if i dont like it, but gopro dont recomends that.

Any advice ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My first one did it from new - got replacement today and just as bad.... so disappointed as I live in rural location and already had two 3 hour return trips just to arrange exchange ( store didn't have a 3 in stock on my first trip) - please don't tell me we have to do it again :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
2x the same problem / sound issue:
Bought a new gp silver 2 weeks ago. Best sound before updating - very low sound after it. Went to my local dealer and changed it to new one, but same problem again with the 2nd one. Then I asked the GP support and they confirmed, that the sound may be more quite after updating, but for them it's not a bug - it's more or less a "feature". And it's obviously a special silver issue, but they do not have a solution or even working on one.
(btw: my bother owns a white edition and had no sound issues after updating)
Instead they advised me to buy the new 3+ series because they're supposed to have an "amazing sound".
Wow, that's marketing!!!

Any ideas, solutions or answers that might help?
Or do I really have to "live" with this bad silver sound or "upgrade" to a 3+???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts