GoPro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my GoPro switches off by itself, after becoming extremely warm once the battery is put in. I dont even switch it on then it becomes so hot I can barely hold it. this causes the GoPro to switch itself off.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it the battery (it has been laying there for a few months and want to use it now again) or something with the camera?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Overheating at high frame rates is a known issue. Also, when the WIFI is on in the background heat has been noted as an issue.

The GoPro website states that the Hero 3/+ is rated to shut down when the internal temperature reaches 125 degrees. There are some youtube videos where the OP states it is the foil sticker on the bottom of the battery compartment. They state that the foil is actually in contact with the three batter lugs under the foil. The videos show that if that foil sticker is carefully cut away from that area the overheating issue abates. None of the videos I viewed on the subject were from what I would call "reliable" sources.

Does it work? I dunno, my GPH3 and GPH3+ both have the overheating issue and I've never done anything about it. I have shot in 100*F heat in direct sunlight with the camera in the case and never experienced a shut down so I never bothered with the above fix.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I dont even switch it on then it becomes so hot I can barely hold it.
Do you mean as soon as you put the battery in and without turning it on, it starts to get hot? Or are you using it for some time and then it begins to get hot? Is it a third party battery or a GP brand battery?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts