GoPro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I created a gopro project on my mac using studio and the Hero3 template. I shot everything in 1080p 60fps wide on y Hero 4 silver.

I imported all my mp4 files then converted segments of the mp4's to mov files which were used in the project. My problem I believe was that I did not know that all of the mov files used in the project need to be present for the export process. I would export, get 3/4 of the way through after a few hours then the partially exported file would disappear.

I had deleted mov files and threw in the trash because I had limited space on my computer. I still have all of the original mp4's on the SD card from my gropro.

I am wondering whether or not the project would open if I just converted all of the mp4's into mov files (they would contain the video clips used to clip the mp4 down prior to conversion when I built the project, but they would also contain excess video I did not use). Do I need those exact mov files used e.g. GOPR0311_1, GOPR0311_1_1 ect. or would having just the entire mp4 converted to mov e.g. GOPR0311 work for the project to recognize?

I have tried all troubleshooting prior to this point including uninstalling/reinstalling all go pro software, all mac software is up to date.

I did experience multiple crashes during the building of the project. I did do a final save of the project with all of my work in place prior to attempting export twice (recall not all mov files used in the project were present during export).

I am now attempting to transfer files from my computer to free enough space to have all mov files on my computer along with the project file. I attempted to open the project file from an external HD which contained both the project file and all of the mov's.

Does it matter whether all of the mov files are located in the folder on my computer that they were originally converted and placed into for the project file to open?

Does it matter if I transferred mov files from my external HD to my computer back into the original folder, or should I just convert the mp4's to the mov files directly on my computer instead of using the mov files stored directly onto my external HD that I created from the mp4's yesterday?

I'm just not too savvy with computers and how finicky they might be on where a file is stored originally and whether or not it matters if it is one large mov file containing all of the smaller mov files I made from the same mp4.

Hoping you guys can help me figure this out. I spent a lot of time on the project and would love to recover it instead of starting from scratch.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
Great write up.

Gopro makes back up files your option .MOV or AVI. I use Magix.com or Cyberlink.com.

maybe some one who uses te program can shed some light

I learned years ago never to work on One project all the pieces, I learned to work small and join my saved parts.

Can you delete the back up, that they are just that back up. which file gets edited in the program. not the back up, I say that b/c the designated folder is not the editing folder the program is.

FISH

good luck and hope you get it worked out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi FISH

Thanks for the reply! When I called and talked with a customer service rep yesterday (not very helpful and difficult to understand), but I think he was saying that I needed all of the mov files used in the project file ( a .gcs file). I curious because prior to converting the mp4's to mov's I had selected portions of the mp4 to add to the conversion list, thus there were multiple mov's from the same mp4 file.

The problem I think is that I deleted these mov snippets and I think that's what's prevented the exports.

Do you know if I were to not have those exact mov snippets but instead an massive mov from the complete mp4 that that will work to open the project. Or does the .gcs file need those exact mov snippets that I lost?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hi MC,

I just tried out what you said and it was not successful. Here is what I did:
1. I converted 3 clips from one MP4 file and added them to the timeline in STEP2 and saved and closed the project.
CLIP1 - GOPR0123.MOV - 10 seconds - Starting Point 0:01:34
CLIP2 - GOPR0123_1.MOV - 53 seconds - Starting Point 0:00:00
CLIP3 - GOPR0123_1_1.MOV - 7 seconds - Starting Point 0:03:15
2. I opened a new project and converted the full MP4 file without trimming.
3. I deleted the 3 clips i had created in the first project.
4. I opened the first project and it asked me for the first clip GOPR0123 then GOPR0123_1 and then GOPR0123_1_1. Since I didn't have those clips I just selected GOPR0123.MOV(the full clip) for every prompt. Once the project loaded, the clips all started at the same point and just had different duration. So the project ended up having 3 clips but all had the same Starting Point 0:00:00 and 3 different duration, one was 10 seconds, the second was 53 seconds and the third was 7 seconds.

My conclusion from this test is that the gopro project, does not retain the original timecode from the main MP4 file but rather uses the timecode directly from the mini-clips you convert so by deleting the mini-clips, you effectively loose both the clip and the IN and OUT points.

You will need to reconvert each clip by trimming them again one by one first in a new project and then once you have them saved either on your local drive or external, you can open your old project and locate them one by one as GoPro prompts you.

It is a huge inconvenience.

Hope this helps.

Kareem

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
I have 2 magix editors last year and this year. so at times I will use MEP 2015, and I can switch back and fourth the project, MVP project so if I make a mistake I don't fret.

for what the tech said. I would have gotten some one I could understand without insulting,

Thank kareem for going out of the way! Thanks @kareem Danish

I did the same , will say missing files want to continue and I just keep going.

We feel the pain and it hurts, that perfect edit, and now , you have to do it again, if you can repeat it or not.

FISH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts