GoPro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Long story short, I've lost a GoPro 9 because of a thumbscrew and stonewalled by warranty.

I purchased GoPro Hero 9 and the official GoPro mount accessories, large tube mount and grabbag. I've mounted the GoPro on the front shock of my bike for less than a week.

Before every ride, I will check and make sure the thumbscrew is tightly engaged. But during the last ride, the thumbscrew got loose on rocky terrain. The upper part of the mount and the whole GoPro9 camera are long gone after I realized it is not there.

About the cheap GoPro thumbscrew, It is specifically designed to use by hand.

Because I use the mount on a shaking mountain bike I applied a very strong tightening force, basically as much as I can, with my hand till the point my hand cannot tighten it anymore and the square mount base start to flinch by the force. And my hand is stronger than most people I know. But I would not imagine the tightening force if the square base flinches. It is more like a design flaw that the rubber side, which has less material, flinches easier.

Before every ride, I check and make sure the only thumbscrew is tightened this way. Other screws have Philips socket so I can use my torque wrench to apply a 2N.m force on it.

But since this is a thumbscrew I doubt nobody can apply a 2N.m force on it. It is probably 1.5N.m at most with the human hand.

My points are:
1. The screw is a thumbscrew, not a Philips screw. It can be only tightened by hand.
2. The screw is hand-tightened than most people can do.
3. If you have used a Loctite 243 threadlocker, you will know the medium strength of losing/break force is 20N.m, not 1N.m.
4. Consistent vibration is the cause to loose the thumbscrew gradually. I don't think GoPro team can verify that in full simulation. An impact screwdriver uses the exactly same principle to fasten a screw. But in this case, the thumbscrew is forced on the opposite side. I doubt hand-tightening is enough for it if you mount it on a bike on rocky terrain.

And the support case is going nowhere because the warranty doesn't cover the lost camera. It is a shame. I will definitely recommend against GoPro products every chance I got. GoPro is the crown jewelry of garbage. They cannot even fully test a thumbscrew.

·
Registered
483 Posts
you seriously expected gopro to refund you for your carelessness ?
yes, H9 is so far the buggiest model of them all and there are trillion reasons to hate on it, but not this

Reactions: Fish

·
Administrator
9,059 Posts
Sure ship back the remains and someone at gopro will offer you 40% off retail.

Hope you can backtrack the steps to find her, good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you seriously expected gopro to refund you for your carelessness ?
yes, H9 is so far the buggiest model of them all and there are trillion reasons to hate on it, but not this
That's not carelessness. That's GoPro cutting corners. Read my post carefully and you should know it cannot be tightened with a plastic thumbscrew.

·
Administrator
9,059 Posts
Well lets ask, do you think you cross threaded to knock off the updated buckle.?

Also why not teather/leash the camera as well. on any Moving vehicle its to be additionally teathered for added protection

·
Administrator
2,802 Posts
You should always use a tether with the GoPro, especially during high vibration situations. Bit late now I guess, but a tough lesson learnt.
All of my thumbscrews are a bolt with a Phillips head - hence a screwdriver can be used to tighten further - but honestly I wouldn't use them in areas subject to high vibration anyways - there are various other mounts that are much more solid and much better suited to such environments - such as the iSHOXS mounts for instance - completely solid.
A few examples:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well lets ask, do you think you cross threaded to knock off the updated buckle.?

Also why not teather/leash the camera as well. on any Moving vehicle its to be additionally teathered for added protection
Because the GoPro is inside the GoPro waterproof housing. The housing cannot be tethered. Anyway, I know GoPro can be really hard on for a plastic thumbscrew to save a few pennies during productions.

·
Administrator
9,059 Posts
on the bottom of the waterproof housing will be a bar that is where the leash goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
on the bottom of the waterproof housing will be a bar that is where the leash goes.
Maybe it has but don't try to turn the topic to tethering because GoPro cutting corners by using a plastic thumbscrew to save a few pennies so that it is destined to getting loose and people can hope the tethering would save the camera.

·
Registered
483 Posts
lol ...

·
Administrator
9,059 Posts
as we can look back, locktite only on the metal bolt, to allow dry, then placed on. prevents backing off, of a nut, bolt, but incorrectly using it , and gases can make plastic brittle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts