GoPro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my GoPro Hero9 Black about a week ago to use on exploring 4wd journeys in our high country. It's rough country here and no cellphone coverage in much of it so I do not have a smart phone. meaning my GoPro has to function as a standalone camera. My first surprise was to find the battery in the camera dies real quick in not much over an hour. By comparison my old flip-phone battery with camera still lasts 5 days. I had thought from the GoPro advertising I would get several hours out of a battery - enough to walk in some wilderness tracks and capture wildlife. Now I realize they mean the several hours relates to the maximum time you can save on the plugin memory card. It never crossed my mind I would only get an hour out of a battery. I even went to the added expense of a 256gb card so it would last the longest possible time, meaning possibly 20 hours. Before purchase, I had told the store what I was doing and why I was buying it. The salesperson said he was also a 4wd offroad enthusiast and the GoPro would do what I expected. When I took it back the next day after purchase, thinking the battery must be faulty, they checked their material and said they thought I should get at least 16 hours at a 1080p setting (I was running 2.k). They then reset the configuration for the longest time by the lowest settings of 1080p at 30fps. I was not sure about that because I paid almost $1,000 in total including extras and peripherals expecting to get the best quality and now it was on the same settings as my $56 cheap dashcam. I find that if I set it down on a rock to catch wildlife at its 4k best settings , it makes a series of beeps after about 30 minutes, scares everything away, stops recording and is real hot to the touch. The only way I can keep it recording is to have it at the store lowest settings and connect it to the car power by a USB plug to avoid the battery going flat. Initially I left the battery connected as well but it still went flat and I was not sure of it would charge the battery at the same time it was recording. . I read the Hero6 will not but I found nothing concerning the Hero9. This also means I have to leave the battery door open. I was afraid the battery would fall out so for both reasons I removed it and leave only the usb plugged in. I read this recommended for the Hero7 and it works for my 9 also. When I turn the engine off it stops recording and next time I start the car, it repairs the chopped file before resuming a new file all with lots of beeps. Sometimes it will not restart at all but stays off ( like it is dead) with no red light on except the usb plug blue light indicates power is available. It can take up to 2 minutes of pushing buttons testing connections etc before it beeps to turn on again but at other times there is no problem at all. At the times it will not restart, I can put the battery back in and after that it will restart. then I open the camera door again and remove the battery. This is a messy exercise because I have it mounted behind the rear view mirror using the sucker mount and It is not the easiest location to work with if you are high in a mountain pass on loose rocks and gravel while the car is slipping backwards and you have to stop to fix the camera to capture the action. Otherwise it does take great pics. One annoyance is the screen looks OK so you think it's all good but when you download the clips for later editing you find it recorded everything upside down and back to front. The recorded audio is low volume hissy and it probably needs a separate microphone but I understand this is not available for this model. I search for a solution and think there is supposed to be a setting somewhere which makes it save videos the way you see them on its screen but if there is, I can't find it. I read that the Hero7 black has this feature but the Hero7 Silver does not so it must be model-specific and maybe Hero9 Black does not have it? With the store-set 1080p lowest level settings we can save about 9 hours video. I found a report online where someone with a Hero7 Black and a 128gb memory card gets 8 hours max time. I thought with the latest version and double the memory card size plus the 30% improvement that I should get about 20 hours. The store believe maybe 16 hours. But only 9 hours? Isn't there something wrong? The store will not replace it but want to send it away to be checked. I fear they will come back and say there is nothing wrong with it. That's why I need to know if this is just what you expect from a GoPro or is mine not typical? One more thing, every night we have to download the saved video onto an external storage device which takes several hours. At first we thought we had to remove the memory card and bought a card reader but now we found you can use the usb connection to find the files and download them directly. The internal way is much slower but I am worried about overuse of the external option in physically removing the card several times a day to save the files. The internal way often fails and you have to keep a watch on progress. About GoPro as an action camera? Yesterday by coincidence, we came upon a remote beach surf rescue with a radio controlled flotation device sent out to the scene because the surf was too violent for swimmers. I thought it would be a perfect opportunity for the action camera but first we had to remove it from the vehicle and then install the battery by which time we had missed the launch and then wanting to follow it out to sea, discovered the Hero Black 09 does not have a zoom capability depending on the settings, and by the time we tried all the settings to find it has a max of only 2x zoom we had missed the rescue. At that moment for the first time, I actually regretted buying the GoPro Hero9 Black and wondered what it was doing for me that my old JVC didn't do. Thinking of dashcams, the GoPro advertises that it will do "looping" and it specifically references like a dashcam. But when you get into it, you find this is not the case at all and it is possibly creative advertising. Any standard dashcam saves video in sequential time slices until the card is full at which time it deletes the oldest saved file and records the current new one using that deleted space. The Gopro operation appears quite different. It requires you to preset a fixed duration file which it continually overwrites so you do not have any record of history beyond the single file. When I first spotted that, I believed it must be a typo by GoPro but apparently not. That caught me out because I thought it really would operate as a dashcam.. At this time we are looking to see if we can change our operating practices and expectations to accommodate the way GoPro does things as it does take nice pics and clips with best settings. I am not the brightest at this technology, I just wanted to buy a simple to use quality camera for recording our adventures. ???

·
Administrator
10,074 Posts
First Welcome to the site.

It is an Action camera. Break down all your Issues/questions

1 GoPro 70 minutes tops recording at a higher resolution. confusing remaining sd card time to battery indicator.
2. Ulanzi G8-7 or 10 for the hero 8, soon for the Hero 9, gopro fails to make one.
3. external power sources each 1K mah is an hour, battery must be removed for unlimited record. gopro does not record while charging.
4.256K is gopros official cap size, are higher supported. again official cap size.
5. learn the camera. landscape lock. (orientation() under touchscreen if the same as the h8, Horizon level locks it down.
6. you the camera man, producer, editor are in control of any shot, you make it work with what you got.
7 screen DPI its not a 8K tv on there to view, its like 360P or so.
8. Mics are chips they do just fine asking the sensor to bounce back sound, hissing is the norm for these action cameras.
9. 1080P will get you a few more percentage in recording over higher res., learn to lower settings down.
10 bitrate, and settings uses up sapce.
11 its all you to save files to the machine. its life USB to machine works only camera hero 3+ you had to remove the card.
12 you are given a USB 2.0 not 3.1 cable, the card you got read speed is as important to write speed. for faster laods.
13 its not a DSLR, it has zoom only at Preset. where you can shoot 5K and now zoom with editing and w/o losing much detail 30% is about good to capture close up.
14 learning gopro is just put on my head and go shoot camera
15 Looping is under Profile, create new setting. learn the camera, but gopro is not any camera they do things THEIR way so looping will differ.

Welcome to GoPro.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my GoPro Hero9 Black about a week ago to use on exploring 4wd journeys in our high country. It's rough country here and no cellphone coverage in much of it so I do not have a smart phone. meaning my GoPro has to function as a standalone camera. My first surprise was to find the battery in the camera dies real quick in not much over an hour. By comparison my old flip-phone battery with camera still lasts 5 days. I had thought from the GoPro advertising I would get several hours out of a battery - enough to walk in some wilderness tracks and capture wildlife. Now I realize they mean the several hours relates to the maximum time you can save on the plugin memory card. It never crossed my mind I would only get an hour out of a battery. I even went to the added expense of a 256gb card so it would last the longest possible time, meaning possibly 20 hours. Before purchase, I had told the store what I was doing and why I was buying it. The salesperson said he was also a 4wd offroad enthusiast and the GoPro would do what I expected. When I took it back the next day after purchase, thinking the battery must be faulty, they checked their material and said they thought I should get at least 16 hours at a 1080p setting (I was running 2.k). They then reset the configuration for the longest time by the lowest settings of 1080p at 30fps. I was not sure about that because I paid almost $1,000 in total including extras and peripherals expecting to get the best quality and now it was on the same settings as my $56 cheap dashcam. I find that if I set it down on a rock to catch wildlife at its 4k best settings , it makes a series of beeps after about 30 minutes, scares everything away, stops recording and is real hot to the touch. The only way I can keep it recording is to have it at the store lowest settings and connect it to the car power by a USB plug to avoid the battery going flat. Initially I left the battery connected as well but it still went flat and I was not sure of it would charge the battery at the same time it was recording. . I read the Hero6 will not but I found nothing concerning the Hero9. This also means I have to leave the battery door open. I was afraid the battery would fall out so for both reasons I removed it and leave only the usb plugged in. I read this recommended for the Hero7 and it works for my 9 also. When I turn the engine off it stops recording and next time I start the car, it repairs the chopped file before resuming a new file all with lots of beeps. Sometimes it will not restart at all but stays off ( like it is dead) with no red light on except the usb plug blue light indicates power is available. It can take up to 2 minutes of pushing buttons testing connections etc before it beeps to turn on again but at other times there is no problem at all. At the times it will not restart, I can put the battery back in and after that it will restart. then I open the camera door again and remove the battery. This is a messy exercise because I have it mounted behind the rear view mirror using the sucker mount and It is not the easiest location to work with if you are high in a mountain pass on loose rocks and gravel while the car is slipping backwards and you have to stop to fix the camera to capture the action. Otherwise it does take great pics. One annoyance is the screen looks OK so you think it's all good but when you download the clips for later editing you find it recorded everything upside down and back to front. The recorded audio is low volume hissy and it probably needs a separate microphone but I understand this is not available for this model. I search for a solution and think there is supposed to be a setting somewhere which makes it save videos the way you see them on its screen but if there is, I can't find it. I read that the Hero7 black has this feature but the Hero7 Silver does not so it must be model-specific and maybe Hero9 Black does not have it? With the store-set 1080p lowest level settings we can save about 9 hours video. I found a report online where someone with a Hero7 Black and a 128gb memory card gets 8 hours max time. I thought with the latest version and double the memory card size plus the 30% improvement that I should get about 20 hours. The store believe maybe 16 hours. But only 9 hours? Isn't there something wrong? The store will not replace it but want to send it away to be checked. I fear they will come back and say there is nothing wrong with it. That's why I need to know if this is just what you expect from a GoPro or is mine not typical? One more thing, every night we have to download the saved video onto an external storage device which takes several hours. At first we thought we had to remove the memory card and bought a card reader but now we found you can use the usb connection to find the files and download them directly. The internal way is much slower but I am worried about overuse of the external option in physically removing the card several times a day to save the files. The internal way often fails and you have to keep a watch on progress. About GoPro as an action camera? Yesterday by coincidence, we came upon a remote beach surf rescue with a radio controlled flotation device sent out to the scene because the surf was too violent for swimmers. I thought it would be a perfect opportunity for the action camera but first we had to remove it from the vehicle and then install the battery by which time we had missed the launch and then wanting to follow it out to sea, discovered the Hero Black 09 does not have a zoom capability depending on the settings, and by the time we tried all the settings to find it has a max of only 2x zoom we had missed the rescue. At that moment for the first time, I actually regretted buying the GoPro Hero9 Black and wondered what it was doing for me that my old JVC didn't do. Thinking of dashcams, the GoPro advertises that it will do "looping" and it specifically references like a dashcam. But when you get into it, you find this is not the case at all and it is possibly creative advertising. Any standard dashcam saves video in sequential time slices until the card is full at which time it deletes the oldest saved file and records the current new one using that deleted space. The Gopro operation appears quite different. It requires you to preset a fixed duration file which it continually overwrites so you do not have any record of history beyond the single file. When I first spotted that, I believed it must be a typo by GoPro but apparently not. That caught me out because I thought it really would operate as a dashcam.. At this time we are looking to see if we can change our operating practices and expectations to accommodate the way GoPro does things as it does take nice pics and clips with best settings. I am not the brightest at this technology, I just wanted to buy a simple to use quality camera for recording our adventures. ???
ok there maybe alot going on in your camera first check and see if your wifi is turned on in your camera
then look at what resolution your recording at 4k uses alot of juice,
the higher frame rate also uses alot of jucie
check and see if your gps is on (by default it should not be)
check your screen saver setting
voice control is that on?

just as a few examples, I use my hero8 alot and have found different ways to save battery life, another thing you can do is buy a dual charger it comes with a battery and buy an additional battery, the batteries are $20 in the US and the dual charger makes charging eaiser (food for thought)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I purchased my h9 there were no instructions in the box and no user manual. I found a manual on the web but I think it must be translation from another language because of errors. So it is a big learning curve for me and you are the first people who know about the camera!

I am sorry my first post was so long and formatted badly This form has strange defaults like Insert Key is reverse default and I was afraid to hit Enter/Return key in case it closed post. (Now I know better!)

My average journey from here over unsealed mountain roads is 7 hours each way. My 20 yo old JVC can record for up to 37 hours before hdd is full. I never owned a GoPro until this h9. I was expecting to get at least 2 x 7 hours on my GoPro with biggest hd card. The Store said it was possible to get 16 hours and they altered the settings to achieve this but now we find by experience it is not possible. It is a Samsung EVO card and the store say it is the best model. The video we took in max 10 hours is excellent and I am very pleased with quality. Now we have to see if we can adapt to using the H9 to make it work for us with reduced recording time at better resolution. I think we will have to carry a laptop and transfer files on the go. It is slow process with old usb 2.0. technology for large files! We have only usb 3+ for years now. I noticed the firmware was previous year also before updating. Does this mean the h9 is an improved h7-8?

I read in the same user manual that the h9 can work as a webcam and do streaming. Maybe we can adapt it to download continuous 14 hours video stream to a laptop hdd. Since yesterday I found a GoPro thread on using previous model h3 as a dashcam. It appears that all Hero will conform to industry standard for dashcam operation. If that is true, then this is an example of where the h9 user manual is faulty (translation?). So next we plan to test the camera capabilities outside of the user manual but we also have to go to work so it will have to wait! Please understand we do not want GoPro for dashcam. I already have a separate dashcam. But the dashcam feature could be a perfect way to record 7 -14 hours with minimal space usage. It will avoid using hd space when vehicle is not moving.

Because of the long duration of recording we cannot use the battery. It is recommended in the dashcam thread to drill a hole in the case to feed constant power but we prefer to leave the battery case door open because maybe this will also assist cooling with the battery removed .

We think we can live with 1080p @ 60fps as a minimum because the video looks good.

I have watched many GoPro videos on youtube now and they do not have loud hiss noise on audio. I see it is a problem with some models and there is a recommendation to disable wind settings and glue an external wind noise damper onto the GoPro directly over the two microphones. It is strange that my h9 will pick up engine noise and internal vehicle noise but does not record voices properly. It behaves like the noise cancellation system is working backwards!

Thank you everyone for your kindness in responding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4.256K is gopros official cap size, are higher supported. again official cap size.
You say that It is 256k "official cap". Maybe this is to guarantee best transfer speed stability for warranty purposes but does this suggest that "unofficially" it can work with bigger sd card e.g. 512gb or maybe 1tb? Has anyone ever tried with bigger sd card?

I ask because I have an old camera found in storage with official cap 4gb (very old!) but I tried a 32gb card and it works. So I wonder if possible that GoPro same?

·
Administrator
3,000 Posts
Ive tried a 512GB card in a GoPro before and it worked fine.

In my current H9 I use a 256GB card - I'm sure I can go higher.

Large SD Card and a connection to external power - even a USB power bank - and you'll be shooting for hours!!

·
Administrator
10,074 Posts
You say that It is 256k "official cap". Maybe this is to guarantee best transfer speed stability for warranty purposes but does this suggest that "unofficially" it can work with bigger sd card e.g. 512gb or maybe 1tb? Has anyone ever tried with bigger sd card?

I ask because I have an old camera found in storage with official cap 4gb (very old!) but I tried a 32gb card and it works. So I wonder if possible that GoPro same?
4. 256 is gopro suggested size. you may try it the remaining may not reflect the info on the card correctly.

Page 9 again a copy/paiste manual. will reflect the proper cards to use. all you on a tb card.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive tried a 512GB card in a GoPro before and it worked fine.
In my current H9 I use a 256GB card - I'm sure I can go higher.
Large SD Card and a connection to external power - even a USB power bank - and you'll be shooting for hours!!
Thanks for your reply. I also have a 256Gb sd card and after formatting I can get onscreen time remaining 10 hours @ 1080p60 but I think Fish advises time-remaining onscreen may not be accurate? Is it possible I am getting more than 10 hours? The store calculate 16 hours is possible. Maybe the onscreen display system is faulty?

Our round day journey is 14 hours so I need that minimum time recording. Maybe if I can install a bigger sd card I can get that extra time.
FYI - the Galaxy S5 can record HD at rate of 60Mb per minute. That is 540Mb (0.54Gb) per 9 minutes compared to GoPro 3.9Gb for same duration clip. Bit Rate for the Galaxy is 20 and 40 for GoPro but other settings are same.( Dashcam apps). I listened to a clip and the Galaxy audio is excellent quality.

It seems there are too many problems and inconsistencies! I suspect my GoPro is faulty. If it is not faulty then it is "not fit for purpose".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4. 256 is gopro suggested size. you may try it the remaining may not reflect the info on the card correctly.
I think maybe I did not understand you. My focus is that It does not make sense that we get total max of only 10 hours on 256GB sd card. I need 14 hours minimum. The maths do not add up. I have tried everything including going down to lowest settings. Even the store calculates we can get 16 hours. They entered their settings to try to get this..

Here is what I got from your reply...
1. At first reading I thought you were telling me that the GoPro may not display time remaining accurately. (meaning I am getting 16 hours total but Gopro is only reporting 10 hours max). This what I thought you were suggesting and it was like grasping at a straw!..
2. Later, thinking about context, it occurred to me that maybe you really meant to say that if I install tb card, GoPro can process it on the sd card but the camera firmware can only report up to assumed 256 card. (so it will report max 10 hours remaining despite tb card maybe fully capable of 20+ hours).

My problem is that we now have documented so many issues (errors and faults) and limitations (things it can not do) that I do not want to spend any more money for a tb card in case it does not work. I can ask the store to lend me a tb card to see if it will work. If they are unable or unwilling then I will have to start the process of returning it.

Nothing ion this process directly involves GoPro as the manufacturer. It is between me and the store within the terms of the contract. I came here in the process of information gathering and everyone has been kind and helpful. I have learnt a lot. Assuredly I am not unhappy with the equipment. It does not need to be returned to GoPro for testing. To return it to GoPro would invalidate the warranty with the store. . I do not need to claim it is faulty and GoPro do not need to check it to say it is either faulty or not faulty. Sadly my GoPro just does not work for me the way I need it to. I purchased it believing that it would do what I want but it does not. I was very clear why I was purchasing it and what were my expectations for using it. I have discovered it does have it's faults but this has nothing to do with faults. I can deal with faults later if it can first be made to work for me. Thanks.

submit to the store under local warranty terms and maybe they will supply a replacement card to enable the GoPro to meet expectation.

I reported in my original post that sometimes the camera will freeze. First time we saw it will not turn on. But also many times it will not turn off. My son posted a youtube video about this

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you considered a dash camera instead?
Yes I have two dashcams for insurance purposes. These record GPS, date and time and speed but turn around (delete files) in 3.5 hours. The GoPro is not needed as a replacement dashcam. It has superior quality capability. We only considered downgrading its settings as a theoretical test of maximum duration it can save to sd card but we would use higher specs in daily use. We captured some amazing wildlife footage in the mountain regions because it was running exactly at the right moment. The dashcam feature is a useful option and it can turn around in 10 hours. I would be happy if it can be extended to 14 hours so I only need to download files one time per day overnight while sleeping.
This current discussion is to consider possibility that it will accept oversize sd card which will extend sufficiently. I will discuss with store to ask if they are willing to allow test of a bigger sd card. These are very expensive in our stores. We do not have the range of selection I see in international stores. Thanks.for your suggestions :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have resolution and so this will be my last contribution to this thread...
To round it all up, I met with a manager of the store today. It was an amicable meeting and following our discussion, the outcome is they will take the GoPro H9 back for a refund. I see that GoPro ask customers to not go back to a store with any after-purchase issues but to go directly to them. I would say to the contrary based on my experience. For the record, the store were willing to supply me with a 512gb test sd card but thinking about it more deeply, we could see potential traps ahead if proceeding with non-standard experimental solutions. In addition there were too many other pending issues discovered along the way. The store have been really nice to deal with.

So thanks for the input from all of you who contributed. I have enjoyed the rapport. It has been fun! I do not have an alternative to the GoPro in mind but I will keep searching. It appears my old JVC has a sd card slot and when activated with a large capacity card it will hold up to 72 hours of video and about 20,000 stills. I can get by with this in the meantime except want to up the quality. Otherwise I see some innovative solutions adopted by the international softroading/overlanding community and I look forward to possibly custom designing my own solution based on examples.

That's about it from me. Apart from the camera approach in limbo for now, I have just put a lift kit on my truck and next is to install the air compressor to air the tires up/down, and then comes the mobile kitchen. All in all the build is progressing satisfactorily.
Best wishes to you all. :)

·
Administrator
10,074 Posts
If I go to Bestbuy, and I got an issue, I simply walk back in and taken care of with a full refund within the time frame. When the defect goes back to the Store, they place back as an open box or return back to the Company. Sure the official Company GoPro wants to handle it themselves so it does not get noted on the record.

Loop recording is not ofGoPro'sconcern, they can be given feedback, but do they ever listen and resolve the issues? the Loop recording is just a bonus to the primary use of the camera. Maybe when the GoPro locks it down in the Future. enjoy what you got. till GoPro themselves figure things out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts