·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeesh! A GoPro hero 9?

I’m going to be honest, I love GoPro’s. But... they are slowly dying. I mean, you can’t just sell a selfie stick (GoPro Hero 3-way) for $90. No one is going to buy that.

I also think they should extremely lower the price on the newer GoPros.

·
Administrator
2,879 Posts
This is stupid.
Rumours of a Hero 9 already starting to circulate, yet the Hero 8 was marketed with special 'mod' attachments, which are still not even available to purchase yet, other then a silly little light which you cant connect to the camera since the Media Mod case isn't even available yet.

The Hero 8 is still buggy. Random crashes. Animations are not always smooth - to name a few.

Seriously, GoPro have dropped right down in my book. The Hero 8 is probably my last GoPro. I see no need to upgrade to the Hero 9, only to be fooled with new accessories that never materialise. I mean seriously, its ridiculous. GoPro used to be great. A company for their customers. Good cameras. Monthly giveaways. Great support. Now, all that is gone. Its money money money - understandable, but not at the cost of decent support. Without happy customers you won't generate the same kind of income when people, like me, will no longer buy their cameras.

Honestly, its laughable that a new camera was released in Sept 2019 showing off these extra mod accessories, which would be available 'shortly after'. Then it was 'available before Christmas'. Now everyone has just given up the promised accessories altogether!

·
Administrator
2,879 Posts
Yeesh! A GoPro hero 9?

I’m going to be honest, I love GoPro’s. But... they are slowly dying. I mean, you can’t just sell a selfie stick (GoPro Hero 3-way) for $90. No one is going to buy that.

I also think they should extremely lower the price on the newer GoPros.

Precisely. They are killing their own customer base with their crazy high prices on basic accessories. 3rd party manufacturers are now just as good, and come up with better accessory ideas too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is stupid.
Rumours of a Hero 9 already starting to circulate, yet the Hero 8 was marketed with special 'mod' attachments, which are still not even available to purchase yet, other then a silly little light which you cant connect to the camera since the Media Mod case isn't even available yet.

The Hero 8 is still buggy. Random crashes. Animations are not always smooth - to name a few.

Seriously, GoPro have dropped right down in my book. The Hero 8 is probably my last GoPro. I see no need to upgrade to the Hero 9, only to be fooled with new accessories that never materialise. I mean seriously, its ridiculous. GoPro used to be great. A company for their customers. Good cameras. Monthly giveaways. Great support. Now, all that is gone. Its money money money - understandable, but not at the cost of decent support. Without happy customers you won't generate the same kind of income when people, like me, will no longer buy their cameras.

Honestly, its laughable that a new camera was released in Sept 2019 showing off these extra mod accessories, which would be available 'shortly after'. Then it was 'available before Christmas'. Now everyone has just given up the promised accessories altogether!
To be fair, the Media Mod has been released for a while... I have one at my house right now and it works pretty well. The display mod is the only mod that has yet to be released. But I can't really say I blame GoPro with the mod most likely being produced in China where production has been slowed down due to the Coronavirus. Not saying I don't agree with you, because I find it funny that according to that article, it will be released 1-2 months after the mod might finally get released.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2,879 Posts
To be fair, the Media Mod has been released for a while... I have one at my house right now and it works pretty well. The display mod is the only mod that has yet to be released. But I can't really say I blame GoPro with the mod most likely being produced in China where production has been slowed down due to the Coronavirus. Not saying I don't agree with you, because I find it funny that according to that article, it will be released 1-2 months after the mod might finally get released.

I haven't seen the media mod available at all in the Uk - everywhere I check is always out of stock, even before the Coronavirus stuff took hold. GoPro's own site is still out of stock. One of the main selling points of the hero 8 was the fact that it could be used by vloggers. Yet 6 months on and that main selling point is still not available.

That aside, the rather minor developments between each generation doesn't warrant the inflated price, in my view anyways.
Don't get me wrong - I love the GoPro camera, I just no longer like their selling practices and after-care.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Precisely. They are killing their own customer base with their crazy high prices on basic accessories. 3rd party manufacturers are now just as good, and come up with better accessory ideas too!
I agree on the accessories. I recently purchase a GiPro hero 6 black from a guy on LetGo. Pretty much the only thing that was genuine GoPro was the GoPro it’s self. Even the frame wasn’t genuine GoPro, but I thought it was. It has even better features than the actual frame. For one thing, you can open and charge the camera without having to take it out of the frame. (See photo)

If you look up a picture of a genuine GoPro frame, you will see that you can’t do this. I looked it up, the frame you see above cost only $15. Compare that to GoPro’s $30 price.

Also, I hate the “new and improved” camera design. I like how small it is and all, but it looks so fragile and non-water resistant. I’m scared to even get it wet, without another housing unit.

The new models have really gone downhill as far as toughness and waterproof ness.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I haven't seen the media mod available at all in the Uk - everywhere I check is always out of stock, even before the Coronavirus stuff took hold. GoPro's own site is still out of stock. One of the main selling points of the hero 8 was the fact that it could be used by vloggers. Yet 6 months on and that main selling point is still not available.

That aside, the rather minor developments between each generation doesn't warrant the inflated price, in my view anyways.
Don't get me wrong - I love the GoPro camera, I just no longer like their selling practices and after-care.
Here is one I found: GoPro Media Mod for HERO8 Black (Please note, I am in the USA)

Don’t get me wrong, I love the light feature. I wished they would have done this a long time ago. But $80 for just the basic mod and then $80+ for anything Else? No sir.

As I said above, they have really come a long way with the WiFi and Bluetooth (mostly with the app). But, they have started to decreased in the durability they used to promise. For example, I have a GoPro Hero 2014 that I’m trying to sell now. I know it’s a dinosaur (no WiFi, no LCD screen, pretty much just a camera), but it’s more durable than you would/could possibly imagine.

I’m scared to get my new HERO6 in the water, because of the new side doors. I hate those. I do have a dive unit that I will be using, if/when I’m around water.

·
Administrator
9,621 Posts
Media Module, has "Issues" a High Pitch sound.

Hero 9 Dual screen. There goes the Display mod, discontinued before its out

Profile renaming, can clearly see that on the H9B, where we asked to have featurs added to the Hero 7, that the Hero 8 has,

I think gopro should work on a real camera, make a 1.1 in sensor, C mount lens. and internal memory for APPS. As gopro creates all these apps down the road, no more trying to sell the same shelled camera with one feature added per year.

am in agreement wit hIfti.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think they need to create a camera like the GoPro hero 8 (with all of those cool features), but super durable. The newer cameras seem super fragile.

The older Hero 4 Black/Silver’s are much more durable. They need to mix a GoPro Hero 8 black, with a GoPro hero 4 black.

·
Administrator
9,621 Posts
so the carbon fiber waterproof case is not strong, wow? Lol. drop the Hero 4 black no screen to break, I get that .

·
Administrator
9,621 Posts
that is Life my friend?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure why you all are saying that the new models aren't that durable? I've put my H7B & H8B through the ringer without a waterproof case and had no issues. I'm also not scared to break it because, in the words of Casey Neistat, "When you're shooting daily video's, you just accidents happen, you break these, you're tough on these; If you slow down to treat these like their precious, you miss the shot." And that's what a GoPro is, it's meant to be abused and in my experience, I've had relatively okay luck with camera's. Now granted, I've probably broke as many as GoPros as Casey has Canon's; But every GoPro that I've broken (mostly because they fallen off my motorcycle) I've traded in to get $100 off the other GoPros I've upgraded. And now, they've come out with the GoPro protection plan that is only $50 a year plus a deductible, to replace a GoPro that has been broken because you're trying to get the shot. Not to mention you also get up to 50% off accessories and unlimited cloud-based video storage. So while GoPro has only increased some minor features camera to camera over the year (that I do agree with y'all), It's a camera that's meant to be beaten on. And thanks to their plus program, it's now a lot easier to get a replacement when you do break one! That's just my two cents as having been a loyal GoPro customer since the H3B has came out. (I even have a Sony action cam and have bought other action cams but returned them to stay with GoPro so I'm all on the same platform).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One thing I will say though that kind of frustrates me with GoPro cameras is the battery life and having to buy multiple batteries. If an iPhone/smartphone can last you almost all day on a single charge and being a lot more capable of doing things than a camera, why can't a GoPro also? I think that GoPros need to really focus on improving their battery life so that you don't have to change your battery multiple times a shoot. I almost kind of wonder how it compares to bigger cameras as I only really shoot with GoPros.

·
Administrator
9,621 Posts
Well we all are not Casey Lol. and he is hard on his Gear? I watched my rc car hit 75mph,, thanks to gopro footage failing to record the full crash, the camera was airborne for 150 ft, on the street. if i said it hit, it hit hard what broke on the Hero 7 not a thing, not even a scratch on the lens or glass . so yes they are tough as nails in the right hands. I got no issues with the Hero 8 Lol.

Bat life think 2 spare bats in a pocket, is a lot lighter and less room then two spare cameras. i carry a powerbank if I need add'l power & the cable still a lot lighter then 2 spare cameras Lol. bat life is the talk, and Video quality wad the talk, so to me tht is nothing new. .

Like said the Hero 8 is a carbon fiber/Nylon case, with a rubber face, strong enough. its a weak body then what broke on it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you have a water proof casing on it, yes, it will be super durable. But just the camera? I mean come on. The side doors are super flimsy and after a lot of opening and closing, they get really weak.

·
Administrator
9,621 Posts
plastic clip on the door hindge part. that is part of the camera. if you wear and tear it. that is why they are "Replacable".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts