GoPro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my GPH4B for 6 months. Just recently it has started to play back all videos with a skip/jump every few seconds. I have tried all different resolution and frame rates. the higher the rate the worse it gets. I have reset all settings and changed the SD card. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Happened to me when I had my H3B+ and looks like it's a "computer issue".

I formatted my laptop and the problem was gone. Like you, my videos were playing back just fine and one morning it just started stuttering.

It did this to all my recorded gopro videos, even those I recorded that were playing just fine before this issue occurred.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. I have a Hero4 Black that I just bought (October 2015), and the first 10, or so, videos shot at 4K 30, and then loaded into GoPro Studio, played back just fine.
Out of the blue, a couple weeks ago, videos I made and loaded in to GoPro Studio started playing back with a 1-second jump, meaning that at the end of every second it jumps about a quarter second. Same camera, same computer same everything. What happened? I am using a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.9.5 with a 2 GHz Intel Core i7 and 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM.
All the threads seem to say it's a codec problem or my computer. But, at the risk of repeating myself... it was working just fine at first.
Solutions appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
This verbiage is taken from the Gopro website and concerns jumpy footage on vids taken with the H4.

"1. Make sure you copy your videos to your computer’s hard drive from your camera’s SD card before you play them back. Playing back videos from your SD card can result in choppy playback.

2. Play back your videos with VLC Media Player.
This is a free program that doesn’t take up a lot of resources to run on your computer. This means that your computer can focus more on playing back your videos smoothly. We've found that it's common for Windows Media Player to give you choppy playback, so we recommend against using it. You can download VLC Media Player here: www.videolan.org. If you’re looking for a quick fix, you might want to skip down to Step 4. Windows Media Player may not support playing back camera video resolutions higher than 720p 120fps. This means that 1080p resolutions and higher may not play back. You'll hear audio, but you won't see any video.

3. Make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements to play back videos from your camera.
For lower resolution videos (1080p 30fps and lower): We require at least 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processors (at least 2.4 GHz 2nd Generation Core-based processors recommended) and 4 GB RAM to play back lower resolution videos (1080p 30fps and lower).

4. Record in a lower video resolution & turn off Protune. For higher resolution videos (1080p 60fps and higher): We recommend at least 3.0 – 3.7 GHz Ivy Bridge processors (third-generation Core-based processors or AMD equivalent), 4 GB RAM, and a graphics card comparable to an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M. The gra4. Record in a lower video resolution & turn off Protune."

If your computer can’t play 1080p 30fps smoothly, try recording videos at 720p 30fps instead. The lower resolution means that your computer will have less work to do when playing back the video, so it’ll have an easier time giving you smooth playback. If your camera is equipped with Protune, turn off this feature to make playback easier for your computer. Graphics card and processor speed is important particularly for 4K and 2.7K resolution video playback.

Here’s how you can check if your computer meets the minimum system requirements. CLICK HERE.

You will find other information stickied at the top of the H4 board.

·
Administrator
8,958 Posts
there is no simple solutions a H264 code players need ofr playback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts