GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gopro Hero 4 Black & External Battery

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  p fandango 
#1 ·
I'm trying to record with the gopro while simultaneously keeping it charged it but I can't figure out why it's not working with the equipment I have.

1. Gopro Hero 4 Black
2. Tried both the Switztronic Battery Eliminator and the USB that comes with the gopro
3. External Battery: Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 20000mAh

I have four of each item and not one combination is working. Please help!

The only sign that there is a connection is when I'm not recording and I'm have the USB to mini plugged into the side. But once I hit record the battery eventually runs out.

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
ppp,

Welcome to the forum! First, it would be appreciated if you would go the new members introduction board and post there so we can get to know you a bit. While you are there please read the community rules at the top of that page.

I see your battery is 20,000 mAh's The Gopro needs at least 1500 mAh of battery capacity to result in one full recharge. That should provide an additional two hours of recording. With your battery you should get at least 13 hours of recording time.

I'm going to ask the obvious: Have you checked the output of the external battery? Are the cables good? Does the gopro charges normally with a different external battery? Does it charge when plugged in via USB to your computer?

#3 ·
I noticed that and I think it is since one of the latest firmware update ...

Can't record and charge at the same time. Maybe they will fix it eventually. From what I recall, it was charging while recording when I got my H4B last year.

#6 ·
Do you guys have the latest firmware update ? Because I know it was charging while recording last spring but this fall I noticed it simply stop charging when recording. I've not changed the way I charge the camera.

At first I thought it was because of looping mode but it's the same on any recording method.

#7 ·
sorry to bring an old topic back up but I'm confused with whats going on with my Hero 4B as well now.

i've just set-up to do a NightLapse, RavPower plugged in & on before i turned the GoPro on (wifi was already on) which i thought would make it run off the external power source. I've got wifi on & watching on my phone, & the battery level is now at max & no more scrolling. I left it recording thinking i'll just kick the RavPower back in when the battery gets low, but its been 3hrs now & the battery level isn't going down (especially odd since i've got wifi on). So what it is actually doing, is it running off the RavPower, or will the battery drop as soon as i go to sleep & turn off

#9 ·
I believe GoPros allow for passthrough charging, which means you can run the GoPro while it is being charged. In your case the RavPower is the charger and so when the internal battery reaches its max capacity it remains charged while the powerbank supplies the power to the camera. Just like if you connected the camera to the wall charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.