GoPro Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GoPro Hero 3 Silver Edition won't turn on despite taking out microSD & Battery! HELP!

GoPro Hero 3 Silver Edition won't turn on despite taking out microSD & Battery! HELP!

I had this camera for almost 4mos. it was a Christmas gift. It was working fine until last feb. it started not turning on. i tried charging it and read so many forums. but it wouldnt turn on. Now.. I decided that maybe the battery was the problem, so I ordered an extra one and it turned on!

it was okay at first till march when i noticed it started freezing and overheating so I decided to take out the battery whenever not in use.

TILL last week, when i used the burst shot feature.. the camera paused (cause for sure it was saving the pictures.), and then I switched to timelapse mode, while shooting time lapse, the small screen on front kinda "glitched" turning black then blinking to timelapse?? im not sure it looked like a glitch.. so i pulled out the battery cause I was afraid. when i placed it back.... its not turning on. pls pls! anyone.... HELP??? :(:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have received this from GoPro tech support. It might help you as well.

Sorry to hear that you're having Powering On issues with your HERO3.

Could you please follow the steps below to re-set your camera:

- Remove SD card and Battery.
- Press and Hold Shutter Button (it will need to be kept pressed throughout the whole process)
- Insert the Battery
- Click the Power/Mode Button.

Camera should power up. After it powers up, make sure you insert a recommended micro-SD card and update the camera's firmware.

ease follow the procedure bellow in order to update your camera manually:

1. Connect you camera to your computer with the USB cable and power it on.

2. To manually update the HERO3’s firmware you’ll need to have JAVA disabled on the Browser

3. Go to http://gopro.com/support/product-updates-support/ and choose your camera model.

4. You’ll get a message 'install Java' on your screen, please don't do so.

5. Please click the manually update camera link on lower-right. (you’ll need to click it twice to confirm). Fill in the registration fields.

6. On the next screen you’ll need to type in the camera’s serial number (it’s case sensitive, so make sure that you have Caps Lock ON)

7. Following will be the registration information for the WiFi connection.The Name and Password chosen must have 8 characters, only Numbers and Letters, no other type of characters.

8. You’ll then have the link the download the firmware update files, which are downloaded in a standard zipped folder.

9. After you have the zip file on your computer, place ALL files that come inside the zip onto the root of your micro-SD card.

10. Power Off the camera, and unplug it from the computer.

11. Power On the camera, the update process will begin automatically. Please do not press any buttons at this stage.
The firmware update can take between 5 to 10 minutes, and the camera may power off and back on by itself.

To confirm it was updated successfully please follow these steps:

- Power On the camera.
- Format SD Card
- Take a Single Photo
- Access the SD card with a Computer
- Under the MISC folder, there will be a version.txt file
- This file contains the firmware versions installed on the camera (both camera and wifi). Please copy the content of it onto your reply.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yo Skimpydoodles: I had the same issue and was told to do the same as "Boutime" but it didnt work so I had to send it back for repair/ replacement. The bummer is that I spent a hour every night for the entire week in Whistler trying to fix it with software updates and other nonsense... and had no camera to record my family snowboard trip. Beyond frusterated and totally PISSED because the only reason I bought the camera was to record my kids snowboarding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey Boutime, i think my battery ran out of juice so i cant turn on the camera.. on the contrary, i ordered batteries.. so that i can really check if maybe its just the battery that has the problem "hopefully"... then, so im still waiting with my dead GoPro.. i feel bad cause i spent so much on this camera. but i will try to do this AS SOON AS I CAN. I HOPE IT WILL WORK! :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go Pro Hero3 Silver - Not working

I also had the same issues, although had used the camera twice. I have tried updating the firmware but I can't even do that.

Painful...I've been in contact with Go Pro and I now have to send it back to them to check to see if its a faulty unit.

Disappointed that it only lasted two bike rides before giving up the ghost... Might give Contour a whirl and see if they are more reliable.

Could it possibly be a faulty batch?

Cheers

Josh

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey , I found one solution for those dead GOPRO hero 3 cameras
go here http://fixinghero3.wordpress.com/ I recorded the video and create a blog to help people , because i was desesperate too with my go pro but now after that i update it and works fine more info in the link !! thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Solution dead gopro hero3

hey everybody , I found one solution for those dead GOPRO hero 3 cameras
go here http://fixinghero3.wordpress.com/ I recorded the video and create a blog to help people , because i was desesperate too with my go pro but now after that i update it and works fine more info in the link !! thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
fixgoprohero3 thank you

I have charged my batteries (yes I purchased a second one as I taught the firts one had a problem) using your way (USB direct) and worked. I will try to updtate the firmware to see if it fixed the problem of wearing out the bat. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a go pro hero 3 black that would not power on. When plugged in the red light at the back would come on, but not at the front. In my case I just had to use a different charger. I was using an iPad charger with a USB cable. When I switched to the smaller iPhone charger using the same USB cable, the camera started charging and everything worked fine. So the lower power charger seems important!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.