GoPro Forums banner

GoPro Hero 11 Black - Not enough power warning.

11K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  GoPro12 
#1 ·
Hello,
I wanted to send the following message to GoPro but was really struggling to find a way of contacting them by e-mail. Does anyone have any information on the following issue.....
Many thanks
When will you be releasing a firmware update to correct the erroneous message that is received when the internal battery is removed and the Hero 11 Black is connected to an external power supply?
NOT ENOUGH POWER
Your GoPro will power off. Connect to a 5V/2A power source or higher to use your GoPro without a battery.

For your information, when I first received this message, I was trying to connect the GoPro to the twelve-volt power outlet on my motorcycle and assumed the USB adapter was faulty and/or underpowered. I subsequently purchased a new and more powerful USB adapter and still received the same message. After double-checking the wiring on my motorcycle and verifying that everything was working correctly, I decided to purchase yet another USB adapter (top of the range product with more than ample power) and once again I received the same message. Not wishing to be beaten, I reinstalled the internal GoPro battery and powered up the camera and everything functioned as it should. Whilst the GoPro was still recording using power from the internal battery, I reconnected the camera to the USB connector on my motorcycle and then removed the internal battery from the GoPro……and much to my surprise, the GoPro continued to record. I was able to stop and start recording and access all of the cameras functions. However, as soon as I turned off the GoPro and then turned it back on, I would receive the same “NOT ENOUGH POWER“ message as mentioned above. This clearly indicates that it is not a power issue at all but a GoPro software error!!
This is a very important issue for me as I live in Thailand (very hot climate!) and regularly go on long motorcycle tours and record all my travels. Being able to remove the internal GoPro battery and power my camera using my motorcycles 12 volt power outlet helps with any overheating issues and also makes it very much easier to record for long periods of time.
For your further information, I also have a GoPro Hero 9 Black and when I removed the internal battery from this camera and connected this to my motorcycle in exactly the same way as I did with the Hero 11, everything worked perfectly.

See less See more
#2 ·
you have a -12vdc source, rated at, (per the fuse) say 10 amps input, what is the actual Output rating?

Since this is not noted that is the issue at hand, not the GoPro.

GoPro requires today due to their controlling of the output, is 2.4Amperage or higher. a 3.0Amperage rating will get the product to work 100% you will need a 3.0 output rating, hope that helps

#3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

My set up: 12-volt motorcycle power outlet with 45watt USB charger rated at 12-volt/3amps. This is connected to camera using the GoPro pass through door and the supplied USB cable.
Clearly, this is ample power and I stand by my original comment that this is not a power issue at all but a GoPro software error.

You didn’t comment on my findings regarding ‘tricking’ the GoPro into working and I am pasting a copy of the relevant section below.....

Not wishing to be beaten, I reinstalled the internal GoPro battery and powered up the camera and everything functioned as it should. Whilst the GoPro was still recording using power from the internal battery, I reconnected the camera to the USB connector on my motorcycle and then removed the internal battery from the GoPro……and much to my surprise, the GoPro continued to record. I was able to stop and start recording and access all of the cameras functions. However, as soon as I turned off the GoPro and then turned it back on, I would receive the same “NOT ENOUGH POWER“ message as mentioned above. This clearly indicates that it is not a power issue at all but a GoPro software error!!

Further research has revealed that the GoPro Hero 10 Black had exactly the same issues and if you open the ‘YouTube’ link below you will see this explained in great detail. Interestingly, they also found the same ‘tricking’ the GoPro into working system as me.

I have no idea if a firmware update was ever released by GoPro to resolve this issue with the Hero 10 but I sincerely hope so as this would give me some encouragement that a firmware update will soon be released for the Hero 11.

#4 ·
something I am not understanding:

My set up: 12-volt motorcycle power outlet with 45watt USB charger rated at 12-volt/3amps.

it should be -12vdc Motorcycle to a 45watt usb charger problem I see the camera does not take 12 vdc, it takes 5.0vdc. so make certain you are using a 5.vdc adapter rated above 2.4 ampeage

#7 ·
Have you tried a different USB cable ? Not all cables are equal and it might just be the case that you're trying one that won't pass enough current to start the GoPro, but has enough capacity to keep it going once the initial start up procedure has been completed.

If it was a general issue with running off external power there'd be loads of complaints about the pass through adaptor GoPro sell for external powering the camera. That comes with a pretty heavy USB cable and works fine off power banks etc.

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking the same and have already tried the USB cable that was supplied with my Hero 11, the USB cable that was supplied with my Hero 9, and as previously mentioned, the heavy duty USB cable that was supplied with my GoPro pass through door. Just to confirm how frustrated and desperate I have become, I also tried a non-GoPro USB cable!!!

Just in case this important point from my original post was overlooked, my GoPro Hero 9 Back works perfectly with the internal battery removed and connected to my motorcycle using this exact same set-up!

I cannot explain why other users of the GoPro pass through door have not inundated GoPro with complaints, unless they didn't remove the internal battery??

However, as this identical problem also affected the Hero 10 (see above video), GoPro must surely be aware of the problem. Just out of interest, does anyone know if a firmware update was ever released to resolve this issue with the Hero 10?

And finally, do GoPro (as in the company) monitor this forum, and if so, do they ever reply?

#9 · (Edited)
this is an Hero 11 should hold true for the others, the Hero 9 I have no issue, with the multiple chargers Ijust shown, and the hero 10 lol failed. so suggest making certain the products are exactly what they say they are, example, this is a 3.1Amperate total funny how the two usb are 3.1 amperage fails to work but the USB c works if you can not get this tp work have gopro tel lyou exactly what works, it seems the consumer must figure out all issues even for other people as well. hope you find the resolution, to me its another product like DJI but that has awful sound on a motorcycle wired mics

#18 ·
A little bit of research finds this YouTube video telling you how to solve this with the labs firmware. I've checked with my 11 and it solves the problem (which I was able to replicate on my camera).
Thank You for this. I'm a new GoPro user and didn't read any bad reviews. This video should be included on the website for new users. Thanks Again

#12 ·
Many thanks for all the information.

Before proceeding with the suggested solutions, I thought I would try one more thing.

As my USB charger (specifications shown in the above photos) includes both USB-A and USB-C type connections, I decided to connect my Hero 11 to the USB-C connection on the charger using the USB-C to USB-C cable from my smartphone.....and much to my surprise everything worked perfectly.

I assume a firmware update to correct this problem will eventually be released, but meanwhile, at least I am able to power my Hero 11 from my motorcycle, albeit using a different cable.

#13 ·
Good to read you've found another solution to your problem.

I wouldn't expect any change to this 'feature' anytime soon, nothing has changed for this in the new firmware released last week. GoPro wouldn't add this unless it did solve some sort of problem, so it's likely to remain.
I would suggest having a good look at the labs firmware though, it offers some very useful extra features that you might find helpful, eg auto start when moving off on your bike etc.

#14 ·
there you go, your ports are not 100% wit h correct amperage that is the reasoning behind failure, glad you are starting to bench test things to find solutions. FISH

#15 ·
Just heading off on a long motorcycle tour to southern Thailand (3,000 plus kilometres). Fingers crossed my new USB-C to USB-C cable will keep my GoPro running throughout the tour!
Will review the alternative solutions on my return.
A big thanks to everyone for their replies.

#16 ·
I had a separate post on this topic. My previous gopro ran on external batteries with no problem but I ran into this same issue with my new 11 that I use on my motorcycle. After a bunch of research, I stumbled on the same solution of the Labs firmware. Has worked flawlessly for me since installing that firmware except 2 times. I mistakenly held in the power button for a few seconds (Rather than a quick press), and for some reason I received the same old message about not enough power. Not sure why. I turned the camera off, did a normal quick click on the power button, and it worked again. Otherwise, I've done that firmware and it works. It's the only solution I found that works consistently. Just echoing on that solution. Thanks.

#17 ·
When the GoPro Hero 11 Black displays the "Not enough power" warning, it's like going to McDonald's and finding out they're out of their iconic Big Mac. Just as that classic burger is synonymous with McDonald's, the Hero 11 Black's power is essential for capturing your adventures. It's a frustrating moment that can leave you craving more action and excitement but requires some patience or a recharge to savor the full experience. #GoPro11 #LowPowerWarning

#19 ·
I also remove the battery from my Gopro 11 and 12 cameras to stop the camera from overheating. I found that external Anker power packs with IQ ports were troublesome, yet the older ones without IQ ports work just fine as does the GoPro Volta unit. I think the problem has something to do with the IQ USB ports on power packs.

#20 ·
I was using a GoPro 11, 12 and 8 in the Australian out back where the temperature was 41C. The 8 worked fine on the internal battery whilst the 11 and 12 overheated with prolonged use. I found a solution, in that I removed the internal battery and ran off external power only, overheating problem solved. For power I used a GoPro Volta handle, a dashboard power supply and two Anker power packs. The only issue I had was with my new Anker power pack with IQ ports because the camera failed to work showing a message telling me that there was not enough power available, I have since tried several Anker power packs with IQ ports, non of them worked, whilst my older non IQ port Anker power packs work fine, suggesting the problem is with IQ ports.