·
Administrator
9,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Administrator
3,009 Posts
All this 10-bit stuff is a gimmick.
You will not notice any difference between 8-bit and 10-bit under normal viewing on social media. None at all.
10-bit will provide you extra room for color grading, but again, when uploading to social media how many are color grading to any actual depth? I know I don't - I like to just grab the footage and upload, as will countless others - in fact GoPro market the fact that you don't need to edit since your footage will upload to their cloud service, and a highlight edit will be sent straight to your phone, which most would simply upload to social media anyways. So where does 10-bit make any actual difference here at all?
10-bit is only useful for those who are using the GoPro in a more professional setting and need to color grade in order to blend B-roll shot by the GoPro into their main footage, shot with another camera, for instance....

I believe DJI are working on an update that will provide the Osmo Action 3 10-bit too....

Don't get caught in the hype!.....

Saying that - @Fish - good shots to play with in your post ;)

·
Administrator
9,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. personal note, play with it the actual camera, you return it in a heart beat. if you think all the bells and whistles were removed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All this 10-bit stuff is a gimmick.
You will not notice any difference between 8-bit and 10-bit under normal viewing on social media. None at all.
10-bit will provide you extra room for color grading, but again, when uploading to social media how many are color grading to any actual depth? I know I don't - I like to just grab the footage and upload, as will countless others - in fact GoPro market the fact that you don't need to edit since your footage will upload to their cloud service, and a highlight edit will be sent straight to your phone, which most would simply upload to social media anyways. So where does 10-bit make any actual difference here at all?
10-bit is only useful for those who are using the GoPro in a more professional setting and need to color grade in order to blend B-roll shot by the GoPro into their main footage, shot with another camera, for instance....

I believe DJI are working on an update that will provide the Osmo Action 3 10-bit too....

Don't get caught in the hype!.....

Saying that - @Fish - good shots to play with in your post ;)
I can see banding/rings in the sky with 8 bit vs 10 bit with no grade added straight out of camera, it might not bother people and some high compression social media might reduce the impact but it's not just about grading.

·
Administrator
3,009 Posts
I can see banding/rings in the sky with 8 bit vs 10 bit with no grade added straight out of camera, it might not bother people and some high compression social media might reduce the impact but it's not just about grading.
Banding is from poor in-camera processing and a low bitrate, not low bit depth. In my mind, bit depth has to do with tonality and banding is more an issue of bitrate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Banding is from poor in-camera processing and a low bitrate, not low bit depth. In my mind, bit depth has to do with tonality and banding is more an issue of bitrate.
It is the same bitrate, which should hurt the 10 bit file more. It's usually explained as too few intermediate tones, to allow a smooth transition in a single hue gradient. You can easily recreate it when exporting a file that is just a still gradient to show it can be bit depth not any other factors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts