GoPro Forums banner

Gopro hero 10 corrupting sd cards after update

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Fish 
#1 ·
After the update I've lost over 50 GB of data from two different sd cards of my kids first disney trip today and yesterday. The gopro froze and wouldn't record anything then said sd error and it says 'no media' whenever I try to view the files. This happened twice now on two different memory cards. The data is corrupted and unusable. What's happening with it? I format the cards but gopro keeps corrupting the cards making them useless. Anyone know what's up?

#2 ·
hearing its a gopro purchase and their recommended card, that is not good, hope other members can confirm issues like yours welcome to the site and get with gopro they can not do a thing but take a look at what you may have done incorrectly

#4 · (Edited)
Yes!! Same thing here!

Two brand new gopro hero10s with also-new sandisk 256g cards bought at the same time as the cameras. Last weekend on a work trip: 3 of 4 cards corrupted. Thought all our data was lost. After talking to gopro and sandisk and unsuccessfully trying to recover twice with ibeesoft and recuva software, I was able to recover everything using Sandisk RescuePro Deluxe software last night.

Thankfully we have our data back. Still worried about the next time we use these cameras though. 3 cards on two hero10s used by two different people in 40-60 degree temps. Not raining, no special abuse of any kind. Motorcycle helmet-mounted. Suddenly, cards stopped working and data was gone. Happened over the course of 24 hours on both cameras. They went from working fine and we could see all our media, to not being able to record new media or view existing media. We finished the trip recording as best we could with our iphones.

If this happens to anyone else: RescuePro is the software to use. But why did it happen? I am worried it's going to keep happening. I downloaded the new software right before the trip but only one of the two cameras had updated to 1.16. The other was running 1.10 because I never connected it to the app. Still haven't. However both cameras had corrupted cards.

Edit: actually I must have connected that second camera to the app at some point during setup. I think I remember doing that at the truck as we were heading out before I handed it off to someone else. But it still shows as having 1.10 installed, so it did not update.

#5 · (Edited)
GoPro Hero 10 is compatible with microSD card with v30 or UHS-3 rating. So, its important to check the class of your SD Card in order to check the compatibility of the camera. After hearing the problem, I think you should check what ifti has suggested.
If you want to recover the data from those cards, then you can use any recovery software like stellar or recoverit. To repair those corrupt data you can also use their repair tools.

#9 ·
then follow what gopro recommends, factory rest camera, manually reflashing firmware, and formatting good practice sd cards. Ifall fails they simply like to replace cameras not fixing the issues at hand

#10 ·
Similar thing happened to me twice already. Once when I was just filming for my own use for the whole day and the other time I was using it for work. Today I was at band practice and filmed a bunch and came home only to find out that a number of the files are missing and now I'm trying to get them back. Sucks that first you buy expensive gear and then you have to buy recovery software in order to get what you essentially paid for already.

I know it recorded during our playing as I played some of the footage back after recording it at the rehearsals, then recorded some more and the first 4-5 recordings are nowhere to be found. I'm using the recommended cards, bought the same time as the camera. I do video and sound work professionally and I've got to say that dealing with these kinds of problems is not acceptable. I used to own a Hero 3 Black and never had any problems with it so I was really glad to get my hands on the Hero 10. But I'm afraid I cannot trust it for even personal use as it keeps corrupting cards and losing footage. Frustrating.

#11 ·
There is in the general section recovery firmware full version for home use. whati Do is test shots first then a camera format and good. But sometimes it happens on a later time card failure. What gives gopro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.