GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey did anybody else notice that the different FOV (Field-Of-View) options NARROW, MEDIUM, WIDE in VIDEO mode are only available in the [email protected] video mode setting? You're stuck with only WIDE FOV on all the other video modes. But the specifications for the HERO2 on the official GoPro website clearly states (as of today 10-28-2011)

Camera Optics
•2X Sharper Professional Glass Lens
•f/2.8 Fixed Focus
•170º Wide FOV (Including 1080p)
•127º Medium FOV (In 1080p + 720p)
•90º Narrow FOV

But when I set my HERO2 to 720p the only FOV option I see on the menu is 170º WIDE... and that's it. That's kind of a bummer I would have loved to have MEDIUM and NARROW on [email protected] too.

So I asked GoPro Support on their website and got an email reply back confirming the missing FOVs.
Here's the reply short and to the point...

Update for Case #176910 - "No Narrow or Medium FOV in 720p video mode"

Hi Sacman,

I apologize for that. Our web developers put the wrong information on the website, it's getting changed as we speak.

Many Thanks,

GoPro Support
Anyway it's a small dissapointment and definitely not a deal breaker for me. I hope other FOV options will become available in the future (perhaps from the next firmware update from GoPro). And I hope it doesn't come across like I'm knit-picking the new HERO2 camera (because I'm not). I really like this camera and the improvements that GoPro has made with it so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ya what the ****. I bought

Ya what the ****. I bought this camera specifically to shoot medium and narrow at 720 60fps, and those optjions do NOT exist. This is contrary to gopros specs of the hero2 even as of today.

Anyone considering purchasing a hero2 please be aware the are NO fov options at 720. They only exist at 1080 30fps......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Still no word from gopro...

Still no word from gopro... Im sure they've gotten a gazillion nasty emails. They better come up with a firmware upgrade to include fov @ 720! Quick!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had the same

I've had the same conversation with them. Apparently there's been a bit of communication chaos between what the developers have been doing and the web/marketing team has been sending out.

Latest info I've got on it is that they ARE planning on adding those options with a future firmware upgrade. (On the website, those options are {asterisked} as forthcoming). My communications with the support crew seems to confirm that.

But agreed - I would also VERY much like to see Medium/Narrow FOV options for 720p/60fps. I've been impressed with the FOV and image options in 1080p, but I'd like to use those at 60.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in the same boat. I want

I am in the same boat. I want the narrow FOV for 720. If I recored in the 1080p mode, will I be able to view it on me 720p TV via HDMI? Also, If I choose to record 1080/30 fps, will I be able to downsize for video editing? Or just leave it at 1080/30 fps and I will be able to view it anywhere onced converted to mp4 or avi?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Missing 720p FOV options

As far as the "Our web developers put the wrong information on the website, it's getting changed as we speak." message from support on 10/28/2011, that's a lie. As of today, 12/16/2011 the web site still features the 170º Wide FOV, 127º Medium FOV, and 90º Narrow FOV for 720p resolution.
Today I received a response from support, Case #198628 - "firmware update doesn't work", stating <blockquote>The additional field of view options will be provided with an upcoming firmware update.
</blockquote>
So it is the same incorrect information as back in October. The web site is still not corrected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm bummed that it doesn't

I'm bummed that it doesn't have the FOV options in 720P 60FPS out of the box but as long as they roll it out I'll be happy. This was my deciding factor for the purchase because the FOV is way too wide and 90 would be ideal for in car videos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, can anyone just confirm

Hi, can anyone just confirm for me that the Hero2 will shoot in all 3 FOV's in 1080 at 30fps. The website states:
170º Wide FOV (Including 1080p)
127º Medium FOV (In 1080p)
90º Narrow FOV

WTF will it shoot at in "90º Narrow"? For a spec page, the GoPro website sucks!

Thanks in advance.

Marvo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The FAQ still contains the

The FAQ still contains the promise about FOV option for 720p mode in future fw upgrade, so I assume there has not yet been any upgrade, right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
No man... No updates still.

No man... No updates still. If I was you I'd hold off on buying a hero2 until the updates come out because it's basicaly a hero 1080 if you film sports at 60fps... (half the price)

·
Administrator
9,378 Posts
Yes I hold out, and miss some

Yes I hold out, and miss some of the action, use what I got till they can catch up with Hd1080P60fps, Why put us through all this grief?

because you would not come back if if they just keep doing what they and others do, offer some vs all.

If the website goofed so be it. if Gopro will admitt to the goof then that is that. but I know this is a Hd1080P cam, and other features limited.

FOV was talked about being limited. Now with Protunes and Hd1080P 24fps added, for the Summer fooling with us with two other firmware upgrades. maybe by Fall, we'll see a fix not for FOV

·
Registered
2 Posts
Crop in Post

Just a thought here.

The camera reduces field of view by cropping, there is no zoom function. It's an 11mp sensor, so there's plenty of pixels there to crop into.

If you need a narrower field of view why not just crop in post? What would be the difference?

It would also seem that having a wider angle of view than needed and cropping in post would allow you to correct for framing errors as well.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, if so, enlighten me please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FOV Modes

Skateboardbry,
My brand new H2 only allows TWO FOV modes -170/127 at 1080. You got newer firmware???

Go Pro needs to get with the program. Being what users want. 170/127/90 in ALL video AND photo modes. Just a matter of firmware or maybe some limitation on the optics. I ain't smart enough to know. If they build it they will come.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FOV

Marvo - IT DON'T. My point to Skateboardy. I said it <ins>SHOULD</ins> support all three FOV's for both video and photos. GoPro should make that happen in a firmware update. My H2 only supports 170/127 at 1080p.
Dalman

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.