GoPro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping that upper management in GoPro reads this! I had a couple of GoPro's in the past. GoPro 3 and GoPro 6. Loved them both! I was happy to see when GoPro 10 came out. June I had a Wedding 20yr vows renewal to attend in Mexico. So like everyone on this forum I put my hard earned dollars down and purchased a new GoPro 10 Black from GoPro online. Not needing my old GoPro 6 I sold it locally on Facebook (wrong decision) Took it to Mexico to film my brother in law and sister in laws wedding vows renewal. Had nothing but problems with it turning off from overheating. I tried different settings and still overheated. I contacted GoPro technical support they wanted me to do a software update. And try different settings which I did. With no luck the camera was shutting off and getting so hot that you could not touch it. After the runaround with technical support they agreed to replace the GoPro 10. Shipped back my first GoPro 10 End of July. Finally received the replacement GoPro 10 (#2). I tested the replacement in a controlled area (House 70°) tried all different settings that also was overheating. Did the technical support dance was told they would replace the replacement! Told them I had a Canada trip planned for August 5 I needed the replacement before that day. Talk to managers talk to supervisors they guaranteed I would get it before I left for Canada. I received the replacement (#3) August 4. They guaranteed the second replacement would have no problems. Went to Canada and had overheating issues. I even went as far as to write down the settings I was using in the minutes until the camera overheated and shut down. I could not even get through one battery. Even 1080/30/wide only last 30 minutes. Return to USA contacted GoPro technical support. Gave them all the information on the times and settings. I was advised that they sent out two replacements they can't do anything else this would have to go to upper technical support to see if they have a solution I would get a call in 24 hours. That has been three days ago and still no response! GoPro do not ignore me! Either call me back or email me and make this right! I will not let this go until something is done!!!! Almost spent $800 for a useless overheating piece of plastic!

GoPro obviously has problems and a lot of the GoPro's overheating. From what I understand all the newer GoPro's (8,9,10) are overheating! I purchased my GoPro 10 from the online store with 5 batteries two bank charger and other accessories. So if you are in the market for a new GoPro 10 and have an older GoPro do not upgrade let me save you a lot of hassle! A lot of hours on the phone! As for GoPro you need to get your head out of your Dupa create a fix for this overheating issue if it's software related or different heat sinks in the camera itself then do it! I read that GoPro 11 is coming out. Exchange my GoPro 10 for the GoPro 11 make me a happier user! As long as there is no heating issues with the GoPro 11!

·
Administrator
9,513 Posts
we are sorry to hear your story. this is an Action camera, be moving and get the footage in a short period that said. does Wedding film makers use action cameras to film ceramonies, i think they use a professional camera that may run a few grand. today we see more people with phones and that should been the camera of choice.

If you are on the third camera and still overheating its time to get with gopro and demand your funds back since day one but again best of luck with that after the 30 day return policy, We all been there and done that. hard lesson to learn if asked

forums are about troubles and one can always visit a forum before purchasing and see all the roubles gopro had...WINK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we are sorry to hear your story. this is an Action camera, be moving and get the footage in a short period that said. does Wedding film makers use action cameras to film ceramonies, i think they use a professional camera that may run a few grand. today we see more people with phones and that should been the camera of choice.

If you are on the third camera and still overheating its time to get with gopro and demand your funds back since day one but again best of luck with that after the 30 day return policy, We all been there and done that. hard lesson to learn if asked

forums are about troubles and one can always visit a forum before purchasing and see all the roubles gopro had...WINK
I understand what you are saying action camera. But I never had a problem continuously recording with my GoPro 6. As for Canada trip it was on a boat on the water. As for the ceremony I was always moving around it was held on a beach. Unfortunately I did not know about the overheating issues before I purchased the GoPro 10!

·
Administrator
9,513 Posts
I totally hear you. camera is already in a sealed case. that is part of the heating issue just part of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I totally hear you. camera is already in a sealed case. that is part of the heating issue just part of it.
The GoPro got so hot the battery top come off! I'm no engineer but I know that the heat heat sink is not big enough to dissipate the heat! Make the camera bigger put an aluminum plate in the bottom this will help dissipate the heat. I understand that GoPro is trying to put all the technology they can in a small unit but sometimes small isn't the best for heat. I wanted to start my own kayak fishing YouTube channel. But not with a camera that turns off. My setting preference is 1080/60/wide five minute looping but it can't even use one battery up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Like Fish said, you're probably better off using your phone for weddings than a gopro. Heat wise; looping, hindsight constantly reads/writes to the sd card which will exaggerate the overheating issues. Most people that successfully use GoPros 8,9,10 seem to have success recording multiple shorter clips instead of fewer longer clips. And a rock solid solution to overheating seems to be removing the battery and using an external power bank.

·
Administrator
9,513 Posts
gopro answered the issue by saying people take 70 secs or less videos. maybe get with gopro and request a hero 9, its half the fps. just saying

·
Registered
607 Posts
btw, this is not an official forum and "upper managment" will hardly get to read this. You should go on the gopro.com for complains

·
Administrator
3,009 Posts
The issue with these cameras is that they are becoming so powerful, yet keeping the same physical shape and size. The extra power produces extra heat, and the small chassis just can't get rid of the heat fast enough. Not just an issue with GoPro's - The DJI Action 2 has even bigger heat issues! Rather then just push the fact that the cameras can record 4K and 5K at such high frame rates etc, maybe they should concentrate on how they can reliably record at these settings in the first instance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm hoping that upper management in GoPro reads this! I had a couple of GoPro's in the past. GoPro 3 and GoPro 6. Loved them both! I was happy to see when GoPro 10 came out. June I had a Wedding 20yr vows renewal to attend in Mexico. So like everyone on this forum I put my hard earned dollars down and purchased a new GoPro 10 Black from GoPro online. Not needing my old GoPro 6 I sold it locally on Facebook (wrong decision) Took it to Mexico to film my brother in law and sister in laws wedding vows renewal. Had nothing but problems with it turning off from overheating. I tried different settings and still overheated. I contacted GoPro technical support they wanted me to do a software update. And try different settings which I did. With no luck the camera was shutting off and getting so hot that you could not touch it. After the runaround with technical support they agreed to replace the GoPro 10. Shipped back my first GoPro 10 End of July. Finally received the replacement GoPro 10 (#2). I tested the replacement in a controlled area (House 70°) tried all different settings that also was overheating. Did the technical support dance was told they would replace the replacement! Told them I had a Canada trip planned for August 5 I needed the replacement before that day. Talk to managers talk to supervisors they guaranteed I would get it before I left for Canada. I received the replacement (#3) August 4. They guaranteed the second replacement would have no problems. Went to Canada and had overheating issues. I even went as far as to write down the settings I was using in the minutes until the camera overheated and shut down. I could not even get through one battery. Even 1080/30/wide only last 30 minutes. Return to USA contacted GoPro technical support. Gave them all the information on the times and settings. I was advised that they sent out two replacements they can't do anything else this would have to go to upper technical support to see if they have a solution I would get a call in 24 hours. That has been three days ago and still no response! GoPro do not ignore me! Either call me back or email me and make this right! I will not let this go until something is done!!!! Almost spent $800 for a useless overheating piece of plastic!

GoPro obviously has problems and a lot of the GoPro's overheating. From what I understand all the newer GoPro's (8,9,10) are overheating! I purchased my GoPro 10 from the online store with 5 batteries two bank charger and other accessories. So if you are in the market for a new GoPro 10 and have an older GoPro do not upgrade let me save you a lot of hassle! A lot of hours on the phone! As for GoPro you need to get your head out of your Dupa create a fix for this overheating issue if it's software related or different heat sinks in the camera itself then do it! I read that GoPro 11 is coming out. Exchange my GoPro 10 for the GoPro 11 make me a happier user! As long as there is no heating issues with the GoPro 11!
I've personally had almost the same exact problem with not only contacting GoPro but another site as well. I totally get your anger and frustration!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wonder how much of that are the microSD cards. Recently did a test reading and writing for the top of the line Sandisk and Lexar 256GB and 512GB cards. 75C reading 25GB and as much as 97C writing at speeds of about 50MB/s.

Writing:

Automotive lighting Amber Orange Rectangle Font

Reading:

Automotive lighting Amber Orange Finger Font

Different reader that exposes 25% of the card to air:

Automotive lighting Rectangle Street light Hood Font

As an observation the 256GB card from Lexar was the hottest, Sandisk 256GB ran 5C cooler, San Disk 512GB ran 10C cooler, Anker SD USB 3 adapter that exposes the card to air ran another 10C cooler.

Imagine all of this happening in an enclosed housing and the heat must be a problem to carry away.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I currently own a Hero 9 & 8 & Hero 7 along with a Max. I use them all the time motorcycling and run them continuously for 6 to 8 hours while riding. They rarely overheat or shut off. So your comment about the 8, 9, & 10 overheating is false. I did have a battery swell up on the 8 but realized I can run the cam without the battery on continuous power so took it out. I have a friend who bought the 10 and has problems especially running it continuously and also charging on continuous power. As others have said, it could very well be the bigger processor is too much for the small frame it is in. I have done some wedding photography and certainly agree your better off using an iPhone if you do not have an expensive camera for that event. The GP shines with close up action certain nothing like a wedding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In my Gopro hero 9 I had problems with the Gopro hero 9 over heating and then I replaced the battery. Problem solved. It was the battery it's self overheating not the Gopro.
I thought the same thing but when I talked with GoPro support they guaranteed me it was not the battery’s. I even purchase the white battery and it still overheated. I’m going fishing tomorrow I will run my GoPro without a battery in it. Running off my Kayak battery. Hopefully it will not overheat and shut down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update. I fish from an Old Town Sportsman Autopilot 120. (Great Fishing Kayak) I purchased the ULANZI G9-5 Housing Case for Gopro Hero 10 9, Aluminum Video Cage from Amazon. I did go fishing on Friday September 2, 2022. Use the housing on the YOLOtek GoPro Boat Mount PowerStick-53” Gen4. Also, from Amazon. Had no problems with overheating the aluminum case acted like a heat sink. I did put the white battery in while it was attached to Amped outdoor 8 AH battery. (also runs my Humminbird helix 7) Recorded in 1080/60 at 5 minute looping. I fished for 8 Hr with no problems. I'm pleased I figured out this problem! But extra equipment to buy. Trying to fishing September 5, 2022, Labor Day. I Want to try recording in 4K at five minute looping. Hopefully this post helps others having the same problem with overheating issues. Any questions please ask. I will respond as soon as I can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called GoPro and talked to a case manager. He stated that the GoPro 10 should not overheat like I am experiencing. GoPro also tried to duplicate the problems I was having, and they could not! Case manager told me they will send me a new GoPro 10 testing for overheating before sending me it. Go pro should receive my GoPro 10 Monday, September 26, 2022 by end of day. This will be my 4th GoPro 10! I will keep everyone updated!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts