GoPro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've recently bought an Hero 9 - this is my first action camera. I made few short clips during enduro riding on my dirt bike in the woods in 1080p but I noticed that after uploading it to YouTube quality is quite bad - scene is getting 'grainy' or not sharp or blurry especially during faster movement (not sure how to describe it but if I'm standing image quality is really good) . Is there anything that I'm doing wrong? I saw a lot of GoPro footages on YT and they look really good even during faster actions. Or is it YT 'feature'?

Here are two sample footages that I made, you can notice that while I'm riding faster quality looks not good - like it's dropping frames or bitrate?

· Registered
591 Posts
Welcome to the forum, the best you can do is to film in 4K and export in 4K with a bitrate that is high enough - HD material gets always a bad quality especially in fast moving szenes.

Here some recommend settings…

Ciao Rob

· Administrator
7,627 Posts
Weather looked like overcast and rain. Confirms on both vid, foul weather, on. The helmet, Maybe a chest mount is more watchable then on the head, with constant movement, something to think about. Your vid, yes it is blotchy and pixelated at many times.

there is a youtuber, the settings that Kofla is asking for you to tell, and you only offered. Some of it, that does not help out much.

To get the best video is to tune the protunes to the scenes:

youtube. Mountain bike rider out there has some settings I noted here

4K60F FOV wide Hypersmooth On standard or High
bitrate high. EV-0.5 to -1.0 shutter Auto (or double the fps)
ISO min 100, ISO max 1600 or 3200
WB 5K sharpness LOW
audio. Auto

because you are with. Cover from above the cameras EIS will suffer and cause Jitter gopros are not low light proformers,

· Administrator
2,294 Posts
Its most likely nothing to do with your settings - its YouTube compression algorithms.

Upload in 4k - this forces YouTube to use the VP9 codec and the footage will look much better.

In essence, YouTube encodes all videos to H.264, and adds VP9 and AV1 for videos with high view counts. YouTube appears to encode all videos larger than 1080p with VP9. However, YouTube only creates H.264 versions of those videos at 1080p and lower. So, in all cases, there will be an H.264 version that you can watch but not beyond 1080p. When you switch it to anything above 1080p though, the quality will instantly improve since the VP9 codec is used.

Ive tested this myself with previous videos and the quality improvement is drastic when playing back above 1080p.

· Registered
KTM 300 XCW (2021)
24 Posts
YouTube is brutal to dirt bike videos, the moving rocks break its expectations of what a video is all about.
I have a couple of hundred boring videos on my channel, for the past two years, all taken on a GoPro Hero 9. I edit with Davinci Resolve (which is free for non-commercial use and available on Windows, Linux and OS-X) Take a look at my videos (but not the one from January 9th 2023) and you can see what I think are pretty good looking videos.
I shoot flat color, GoPro smoothing, 1920x1440

1 - 6 of 6 Posts