GoPro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased GoPro 10. It was doing great job at first recordings @ 30FPS, although it was getting noticeably hotter than my 5 year old GoPro. Yesterday I was recording @ 60 FPS, and it overheated (twice) and shut off after 20 mins. I am running the latest firmware update, and support recommended to reinstall everything one more time. However, I am under impression from some articles I read that it is an inherent problem.

Does it make sense go on troubleshooting, or is there some other model I should exchange it for, that runs what it can the way it should?

·
Administrator
9,236 Posts
Swipe down, and use the provides endurance modes they given as the fix.
Full endurance
Extended battert
stationary tripod

all that can be done by the user, as its just going into the cameras settings and preferences.

to prevent overheating is not to film hours on end i just finished doing a shoot and each clip was under minutes per not one issue of overheating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swipe down, and use the provides endurance modes they given as the fix.
Full endurance
Extended battert
stationary tripod

all that can be done by the user, as its just going into the cameras settings and preferences.

to prevent overheating is not to film hours on end i just finished doing a shoot and each clip was under minutes per not one issue of overheating.
Hi and thx,

I'll check it out. I need long continuous filming though. Used to be one of the main traits of older models. Hard to believe it's become a problem, even with greater resolution.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I will have to fiddle with settings a lot more than before.

GoPro has a fix for the Hero 10 Black overheating when shooting long clips with no airflow. The new firmware update adds three video performance modes: Maximum Performance, Extended Battery, and Tripod/Stationary Video. The modes basically limit what the camera can do in order to get the best results for how you're using the camera.
Check this, GoPro has a fix for the Hero 10 Black overheating when shooting long clips with no airflow

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another thing that helps reduce overheating during long shoots (without reducing quality) is to use an external power bank. This reduces the load on the GoPro's internal battery, which reduces the heat.

·
Administrator
9,236 Posts
With FW 1.20 that is what will work, but fw 1.30 may be difficult to do that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the helpful advice! I think I'd figure it out eventually. The confusing bit for me is that I am coming from Hero+. It was very basic, doing great movies with minimal interface. I see now, there are as much of settings as on Nikon camera, I will have to get used to it. Oddly, when I was shooting at maxed out settings, I got the camera shut off due to heat, but the movies were regularly sized. Recently, I recorded with medium settings - everything worked fine, but the videos were suddenly so big, that my old computer couldn't handle them. Initially, I thought I got corrupted files with hiccups.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful advice! I think I'd figure it out eventually. The confusing bit for me is that I am coming from Hero+. It was very basic, doing great movies with minimal interface. I see now, there are as much of settings as on Nikon camera, I will have to get used to it. Oddly, when I was shooting at maxed out settings, I got the camera shut off due to heat, but the movies were regularly sized. Recently, I recorded with medium settings - everything worked fine, but the videos were suddenly so big, that my old computer couldn't handle them. Initially, I thought I got corrupted files with hiccups.
Can you share any recommendations for the GoPro 10 to last longer while recording and not overheating?

·
Registered
24 Posts
For me what helped the most is running the Hero 10 off external power instead of the internal battery. This increased my time-until-overheating from 20-25 minutes to 50+ minutes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me what helped the most is running the Hero 10 off external power instead of the internal battery. This increased my time-until-overheating from 20-25 minutes to 50+ minutes!
Is there another camera that shoots 4k/60 that doesn't overheat after 20minutes or doesn't require an external power source? It's ridiculous. GoPro 8 and 9 didn't have these issues right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts