GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a GoPro Hero, and I'm very much tempted by the Hero 2 because of the variable FoV in video mode.
But what would really convince me to switch, is the ability to have variable FOV for still pictures - I'm doing aerial photography and the fisheye on the regular Hero is really an issue. Anyone knows if it's possible to have a 90° FOV for still pictures, or if it's coming in a firmware update ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
90 degree FOV is possible

90 degree FOV is possible with still images out of the box; can be done either as a single pic, the 10 frame/second burst, or as a time-lapse. (Use the 'narrow' FOV option).

Note that the 90 degree FOV will not be 11mp, but at 5mp (2593x1944 pixels). What is notable is the fish-eye distortion is alleviated at 90 degrees, (I believe the image is pulled from a cropped area of the sensor), so you're not dealing with the edges bowing due to the lens. I did some early tests, and the reduced distortion at 127 and 90 was very nice.

Still waiting on FOV options for 720p video, however....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure ? I also asked

Are you sure ? I also asked the question to GoPro directly and got their answer yesterday night. They said 90° is not available for still images, only 127°. Seems these guys don't know what they sell !!! They say variable FoV on 720p and it's not there, and they say no 90° for still images but you tell me it's there ? WTF ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
There does seem to be some

There does seem to be some confusion out of the GoPro camp about what the new camera can actually do. Between the website, the manual, responses from tech support, and what I've actually DONE with my camera, there isn't really a consistent thought process. I'd be curious to know if the cameras have some inconsistency out of the box based on their initial firmware build.

That being said, I double checked my tests, and I have to concede the point: the GoPro still mode only does 170 and 127 degrees.

But, in regards to what YOU'RE specifically looking to do (aerials with minimal lens distortion) and what my camera was capable of out of the box:

This is a size/crop comparison between 11mp wide, 8mp medium, and 5 mp medium; you can see that really all the camera is doing is cropping the sensor image before saving the file; (checking out the 8mp and 5mp, you'll see that the lens distortion you're concerned with is drastically reduced).

Similarly, THIS is the same comparison, but looking at the 5mp wide image (which is what the original GoPro would shoot):

Based on this, I really see no advantage to shooting anything BUT the fill 11mp wide. The image cropping can be done in any photo editing program. This isn't to disparage the camera; the fact that we can now get an 11mp 170 image (as opposed to the 5mp 170 image the original camera had) is great. But having the in-camera option for image cropping seems a but unnecessary (esp when they could have been paying more attention to the FOV options for video, which they seem to be lacking.)

Hope all this helps.

EDIT: Drat, the picture embed didn't take. Links to the pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6352108609/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6352108673/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.