GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make some cool videos of my speedboat, and I used to use a few other cameras. Over the winter, I have moved into the mountable action cams, and I bought a few different ones. I am having a problem with all the cameras that are in cases. They build up fog and a little moisture on the inside of the housing. Im not too concerned about the moisture, its just some condensation on the sides, but the fog right on the lens is driving me insane! I only get about 4 or 5 good months a year to boat, and we only go out 1 time a week, so thats only 20 times at best! I need to get this straightened out soon or I will be kicking myself all winter with no footage to mess with! Any tips? Already used anti-fog lens cleaner, it didn't work at all. Check out my problem here:
It only does it facing forward too, never facing backward.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same problem when

I had the same problem when filming for long periods of time on my boat...even though it's relatively warm here in FL. The only difference is that my camera was facing backwards (looking towards stern). I assume the issue comes from humid air being trapped inside the case, then the camera heats up and the outside of the lens stays cool. There's a couple ways to fix the fogging issue...

1. Place the camera and open case inside your refrigerator for a few minutes. When you open the refrigerator door close the camera in the case ASAP. The air in a refrigerator is less humid. However, this method still did not work for me.

2. Buy the anti-fog inserts from GoPro... http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/anti-fog-inserts/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the anti-fog inserts work

Did the anti-fog inserts work for you? I saw them before but I didn't know if they worked and if I needed them. They arent to expensive so Ill probably pick up a set

·
Registered
3 Posts
Slow Play's is right. The

Slow Play's is right. The camera and housing have some moisture in them that they absorb from the air. Once the housing is closed and the camera starts heating up by it's normal operation, that water vapor "turns loose" and starts condensating on the coldest possible surface: the inner surface of the housing.

There are things you can do to keep this from happening:

1. Anti-fog inserts: These are a must. Besides the GoPro brand, there are other third party options that are made of the exactly same material, please check on eBay under "fogfree inserts". They are made of silica embedded paper and can absorb a lot of moisture. Can be reused many times after being "baked" to evaporate any moisture that was absorbed. Don't fold them!
  2. Store the camera somewhere dry: By dry, I mean, as dry as possible. It will keep it from absorbing more and more moisture. Mine stays in the housing all the time (unless when charging), with the fogfree inserts in there. I replace the inserts by "freshly baked" inserts before I use.
  3. Avoid opening the housing: It will let moisture in, as simple as that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Anti-Fog inserts work

The Anti-Fog inserts work well. Like the other post said, you can put them in the oven to dry them out. After a while, you may need to get new ones though because they eventually lose their effectiveness

If you have new Anti-Fog inserts and your housing is still fogging up, another tips is to make sure your housing is super clean. Any dust, lint or sand in the housing will cause it to fog up. The housings are so small which is great for mounting and carrying them, but they are also very sensitive to the weather.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If your cheap like me you can

If your cheap like me you can use rice. I also found a shammy cloth at home and cut a square off that, works really well.
One other thing I have heard is silica beads like the ones you get in shoe boxes but I have never tried this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anti fogging in case

If the enironmental conditions are conducive, i.e., not raining or dusty, wouldn't using the open-back camera case option also solve the problem? I'd think it'd let enough air flow inside the case to keep condensation from forming.

Just got back from a motorcycle trip and was cold outside most of the time. Used the sealed camera case and discovered after I got home that 3/4 of the footage I had was foggy/hazy. It's just been one thing after another learning to use the GoPro, always the hard way too.

1. First trip: had camera mounted on helmet at wrong angle, got nothing but road the whole time. (no view finder)
2. Second trip: used underwater while snorkeling, footage was not clear and discovered later needed a camera case with flat lens cover.
3. Third trip: mentioned above, sealed camera case in cold weather was creating condensation and fogging up the footage.

Beginning to wonder if I'm ever going to get some decent footage. :~

Todd

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can use the skeleton

You can use the skeleton backdoor, the positive side is that it improves the audio quality too, if that matters for the type of video you're making. But there is always the risk of water damage, and as you said, dust. I use the anti-fog inserts I mentioned before and they work just fine, even when it's cold outside (or in the water, where heat is exchanged even faster).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.