GoPro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings! This past weekend I got a cheap 52-62mm step up ring and attached my Hoya 62mm variable ND filter to my GoPro. I made the following short film using that setup:

I would appreciate any feedback from more experienced GoPro users who film using ND filters. Is having some focus issues to be expected when using an ND filter or could this be improved if I had a different ND Filter, one more specifically designed to work with the GoPro, such as the Polar Pro? That filter seems pretty expensive, and I'd really like some feedback if that kind of investment will actually result in that much improvement over my current setup.

Much gratitude!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome, nice vid and photos looks like holiday fun.
Not sure why you using filter, I use ND filter only with my Mavic drone, once I tried for GoPro and didn't get much different results.

Ciao Rob
Really appreciate your feedback Rob! The reason I used an ND filter for this one is because I wanted the skies to be properly exposed so I can capture the beautiful color and detail of the sunset & sky. I tried filming in strong daylight with my GoPro before and the sky came out overexposed, causing loss of color and detail.

·
Administrator
2,861 Posts
You have the right idea using ND filters. I also like them because of the added blur effect, which makes the video much more realistic.
I have the Freewell set:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ifti! I really like your ND filter kit. Seems it would cover all the possible shooting conditions (y) Only problem is I have a Hero 8, not 9 and the 8 does not have a removable lens cover like you show in the video.

·
Administrator
2,861 Posts
Thanks Ifti! I really like your ND filter kit. Seems it would cover all the possible shooting conditions (y) Only problem is I have a Hero 8, not 9 and the 8 does not have a removable lens cover like you show in the video.
Got you covered!

If you don't want the cage:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts