GoPro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there - I was in cozumel diving, using a gopro8 + san disk extreme pro memory card - I had used this card before, and was conitunuing to use it (no formatting or changes in between). I noticed yesterday I coudnt view my pics/ videos on the QUIK app on the phone, then today - I could view videos from today but not yesterday. I tried on my computer and app - only yesterday was missing but I could still see yesterday's pics and videos on the camera itself fully. So I thought its some reading glitch that will fix itself.
I called go pro - they made me disconnect/ reconnect the gopro connection to the phone - pics still dint show up - but now they are even gone from my SD card - I did NOT hit delete - or alter the pics from yesterday. Now I see the pics from today, and it jumps back to the last time I used the camera before yesterday - but yesterday's footage is completely missing frmo the SD card. I am really trying to recover this since I had some incredible night dive footage on it.
I called go pro - they made me disconnect/ reconnect the gopro connection to the phone - pics still dint show up - but now they are even gone from my SD card - I did NOT hit delete - or alter the pics from yesterday. Now I see the pics from today, and it jumps back to the last time I used the camera before yesterday - but yesterday's footage is completely missing frmo the SD card. I am really trying to recover this since I had some incredible night dive footage on it.
Has anyone had a similar expereince? It feels the files are just gone from the SD card since earlier it had 20 mins left - now 30 mins - but I am just trying incase there is a way to recover this footage. Thank you

·
Administrator
9,088 Posts
It may be best to take the card out, go to a computer and see what is actually on the card. if you shot footage, and the gopro is overwriting it then something is wrong

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to sure what system you use, but I use a Mac and have recovered files of SD cards before now using 'Data Rescue 3'.
I am using a Mac book air. So my memory available went from 20 mins to 30 mins. Which tells me these files just got deleted. But do u think I might be able to still recover?
Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes you should be able to recover them with data rescue, I wouldn't use that card anymore though. that is until you've tried to recover them coz as fish mentions above the GoPro over rights them, also try not to format the card because every time you do that it makes recovery more difficult.

·
Administrator
9,088 Posts
If you shot video on an SDXC card, and you did not use that card you can. Recover all your video if deleted, but since it overwritten you are only going to recover what is after you shot, meaning you;lol have recovered your most recent and whatever the most recent did not overwrite good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am using a Mac book air. So my memory available went from 20 mins to 30 mins. Which tells me these files just got deleted. But do u think I might be able to still recover?
Thanks
Hi sbajoria,

It is best advisable for you to not use your GoPro for clicking any pics and videos till the time you recover your old data, or your new clicks may overwrite the previous data in the SD card.

You may need to genuinely use third-party software to recover your lost data from the SD card.

A friend of mine who does daily vlogging had this same issue and his videos got deleted anonymously. So, unfortunately, we could not know the reason for what happened. But ultimately, we got to know of this article that worked for him.

I hope it helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much everyone. I unfortunately used the go pro once after since I dint know this had happened.
Has anyone tried to use Recovery Pro? I called Sandisk and they told me that’s the software they recommend.
I also see the article above from Achin re Stellar software and will try that. I am sick to the stomach coz the memory card free space increased from 20 mins to 35 mins - which is not promising and indicates maybe these videos are just gone gone 😭

1 - 10 of 10 Posts