GoPro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I just bought a new GoPro Hero 9. I want to start videoing motorcycle rides, and bought the GoPro mic adaptor and a Purple Panda lavalier mic to put inside my helmet. I updated the firmware on the unit, set the mic setting at "+" setting to gain 20 db, formatted the SD card, installed the app and synced it, and watched a few tutorials on YouTube. I connected the Purple Panda to the mic adaptor and the adaptor to the GoPro, and set out to record my first video. The Purple Panda has three rings on its connector (four brass sections).

After an hour of recording, I came home and found I had no audio whatsoever. I tried multiple mic settings in the preferences, and none of them worked. Since all of my equipment is brand new, I'm assuming none of it is defective. I couldn't find anything that specifically addressed this issue, so I'm coming here for advice. This evening, I tried unplugging the mic from the adaptor and inserting it into a 6" cable with a female plug on one end and a male with only three brass sections on it, and plugged that end into the adaptor. Now, it seems to work. So - is the GoPro unable to accept the mic without the inclusion of the additional shorty cable? I don't know why the mic has four sections. I always knew that to get stereo, you had to have three - one common, one left and one right. So what is the fourth for, and can the GoPro not accept it like that?

I'll appreciate any input on this. Appreciate it!

Valkyrie

·
Administrator
8,962 Posts
Yes, thanks. I'm now using the mic with the little cable on the far right in that picture plugged in to the mic adaptor.

Valkyrie
you are welcomed, a cellphone TRRS, a camera TRS the smartphone has an added ring which is a mic, totally different from a camera

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you are welcomed, a cellphone TRRS, a camera TRS the smartphone has an added ring which is a mic, totally different from a camera
Not sure I understand what you just said there. I don't know what TRRS means, but what is the impact of having two versus three rings (three versus four sections)?

Valkyrie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts