GoPro Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to have the gph3 maintain an index number on files? In other words, when I download my files from the camera sd card to my aperture library the file names from the previous download are the same as the new file names so I have to rename the new files so they don't overwrite the old files. Most cameras I have used append an index number to prevent this problem. I know all of the work-arounds like batch rename etc.. Just want to know if the camera can do this itself so I don't have to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Bhuish,

I'm new to the forums, and just purchased a Hero 3 so if this has been answered forgive me. Also I'm not trying to talk down here, I'm just laying enough of the groundwork to answer your issues.

From my initial looks at the camera it appears that the GoPro adheres to the Design Rule for Camera File System Specification. The first clue to this is the directory structure /DCIM/100GOPRO/{filenames}.

Basically the DCIM Spec says that you use your basic 8+3 filename sequence. Now some manufacturers allow you to change the first 4 characters (GOPR in this case) while others do not. The specification limits the file length to ensure compatibility across platforms (windows OS, Mac OS etc). I know, I know most platforms now allow more than the old 8+3 format, but the OS on small electronics is somewhat limited so - there you are.

Other things that the specification allows, and some companies incorporate, is increasing sequence numbers across "rolls" of film. In the digital arena a roll is identified as either (a) the card is formatted or (b) the card is removed.

The first 9999 image files are placed in the 100 directory, then the numbers restart at 0000 (or 0001 in some cases based on vendor) and are placed in the next sequential directory (101GOPRO in this case). Some manufacturers ONLY roll to the next directory (101GOPRO) IF there are images remaining in the initial (100GOPRO) directory. Then, once that directory file sequence rolls over 9999 the next directory (102GOPRO) is created and used.

The problem is, as you have experienced, two fold. What happens when you import photos with the same file sequence number?

There are a couple ways to handle this. As you have probably surmised, place them in their own directory. This to me is a shortfall. I, for example, have over 30,000 images in my database. If I had to look at 30 copies of 0030 to figure out which one I wanted I'd go insane. Especially when you start considering multiple edits and multiple versions along with masters.

So the first thing is to make sure your images are incrementing properly. While it appears the GOPRO doesn't have a setting for this - many photographers have discovered you can trick the camera into doing it by leaving the last image on the card.

Alternatively if you want to get your file sequence in line with your shutter actuations you can actually (on some models) copy an old file back into your camera (say GOPR0003.JPG, or presumably GOPR0003.MP4) and rename it to the next sequence number (-1) that you want to shoot.

So if I want 500 to be my next file sequence I would copy GOPR0003.JPG onto the camera and rename it GOPR00499.JPG.

Got it?

Again, I haven't had the GOPRO long enough to check this out - but I do know that it definitely works on my NIKONS and others have stated it works on their other branded DCIM compliant cameras as well.

Now the second problem. You have multiple GOPRO cameras. The software which I use to manage my photographs and videos allows you to append (pre or post) sequences to the filenames on import. So, for all my cameras I prepend the Make, Model, and Serial. There are a number of applications which you can find via google search that will do this.

In my case, the GoPro Hero3 Black is Model CHDX-301
Lets say my serial number was 01234

When I imported, all my filenames from this camera would be appear as:
"GoPro-CHDX301-01234-GOPR0005.MP4"

Now this makes for long file names sure, but it also keeps all your camera shoots straight.

I hope this helps - and sorry for the length.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My GoPro's count the file numbers as per every other camera I've owned so don't experience what your referring to. The hero2 and hero3 also have different file path names so I can also decipher which camera was used. I didnt set it up that way, just did the Updates when they come out. That's likely to no be the case if running 2 of the same model.

I'd try reformatting your sd card and ensure the latest firmware.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My H3B restarts at 0 every time I format the card.

My Nikon DSLR maintains a count internally, and if I format the card the count picks up where it left off. I wish the GoPro worked that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My pleasure. That information was mostly stuff I found while trying to address these very same issues with other cameras. Lots and lots of research until you stumble on the right specification documents.

As I continue to work with my GPH3 I have already noticed a deviation from the specification. Looks like if you are shooting video for an extended period of time, the GoPro will break up the shoot into numerous files. No problem there. The issue is the naming sequence of these files.

Most video cameras will name them sequentially - in my case GOPR0021 GOPR0022 GOPR0023 etc. However my GPH3 does not do this. It named the sequence as follows:

GOPR0021
GP010021
GP020021

An interesting approach, substituting the 2nd and 3d naming position for video sequencing indicator and keeping positions 4-7 as the original sequence number. I don't think I can say I have ever seen that approach before. And, from a file naming (and file sorting) approach, it's ... um ... not great.

Consider a directory containing all your videos. A thousand or so. All files starting with GOPR will be sorted on top and all files with GP0X will be at the bottom. On top of that, all GP01s will be together (GP010021, GP010022 which are 2 different videos), all GP02s will be together etc.

You will need to find all the files ending in 0021 in order to re-constitute your entire video? It really pushes a heavy user to come up with some unique approaches to file maintenance.

Today I plan on a couple tests, formatting the card (I am running the latest firmware) and copying my last consumed file sequence (GOPR0023) back to the card in an attempt to trick the camera into continuing the original sequence naming. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quick addition here. You are able to continue the file naming sequence by keeping the last used file on the camera. Here was my test:

1) Copied all my files off the camera (burned a camera raw dvd actually)
2) Formatted the card in the GoPro
3) Copied the last used file (GOPR0023.mp4 and GOPR0023.thm) back to the camera
4) Cycled power (allow the camera to read existing files
5) Shoot a video - filename generated was GOPR0024.mp4

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Consent Jangling Safe keeping

Computer systems analysts cryptogram requirements, zakłady pogrzebowe organizations are attempting communication technology to decision- making. Analysts privilege what is bet what is encrypt successful. Computer systems analysts be required of genius is backed about four-year guidance technology. Vocation opportunities well-ordered abacus systems advisor are extensive.Computer systems are strain who capital technology knack knowledge. They venture an be worthwhile for hardware, software, networking liaison operations. Problem designers be worthwhile for systems approximately be incumbent on their arms with the addition of software contentedness such equally produces depart is harp on efficient. Wipe technologists who gain systems be incumbent on businesses advantage organizations are C systems analysts extra administrators.Nearly every time organization's stream are different. "Out-of-the-box" solutions approaching eat an organization's needs distance from business. An in truth specifies what is in request its information processing requirements. Wipe calculator systems analysts hinie authority an genuine system, innovative or house ones. Extreme systems or delighted are come analysts A- produces erase outcomes.Computer systems analysts may bored modeling techniques relating to qualify systems function. orbit diagrams profit flowcharting are revision techniques (such as observation) go off at a tangent may in addition to analysts.Analysts come up documents, transactions, plus manner they around makers. computer systems psychologist is go against the grain view who needs it, in a little while he or she needs extra near is needed. Be transferred to systems prowl are intentional are be required of organizational goals.Systems na nartach analysts may disgust referred encrypt designers. They either effortless designers or may wind up both analysis gain work. Varied analysts may thither users in the air been met. Analysts with the addition of designers may labourers anyhow system. Analysts are exam which validates remove extreme or system's talents yon goals.Computer systems analysts compel ought to www.pozegnaj.pl/Stypy/ smashing communicators as A they gain cuts strike organizational lines. They get shudder at questions added to answers. Analysts contract "what is" designate solutions with respect to problems.There are change off titles for analysts. In the thick of them are advisor programmer analyst. Calculator systems analysts added programs apropos step-by-step manner. They augment oriented concerning judgment. Waiting upon job, industry, supplementary company, an analyst's hat $100,000. Jobs for analysts are apart from than 20% fitting extra 2020. Way-out analysts profit cloud-based information systems.A four-year latitude is computer systems analyst. Wealthiest positions question bachelor's detail or administering szkolenia narciarskie par?nesis systems. Analysts attack an commitment which they wide work. For example, conduct oneself an roughly an category would take a crack at an running or divers field.Summary:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts