GoPro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A couple of days ago I noticed a "fingerprint" appear on my Hero 8 Black footage whenever the camera catches direct sunlight.

It "dances around" in playback so I took my lens protector off, cleaned the lens glass, and then put a new lens protector on.

Today, the "fingerprint" is still there. as big as ever in terms of area.

However, it is much more uniform than before in that there are no longer any darker areas within the fingerprint (it had previously looked like a cell with a nucleus ).

When I cleaned the lens glass I used a wet wipe that came with the lens protector.

Do I need to clean it several times or is there something that is better than a wet wipe?

I would very much appreciate any help or advice that you can give - I'm just hoping that there isn't anything seriously wrong with the camera.

John Latter

·
Administrator
9,729 Posts
Lens Flare, Gopro are known for them, when the EIS (electronic image stabilization) used they can move like the ball bouncing to music. To understand it is not a lens flare. To the Sun this will happen, Away from the Sun it will not happen.

As before you remove the Tempered glass again I suggest making sure that is what you see.

Wet wipes or Alochol wipes then a micro cloth. but like said in the Sun a hood or hand over. you'll get used to the lens flare over time Lol

Hero 8 black.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lens Flare, Gopro are known for them, when the EIS (electronic image stabilization) used they can move like the ball bouncing to music. To understand it is not a lens flare. To the Sun this will happen, Away from the Sun it will not happen.

As before you remove the Tempered glass again I suggest making sure that is what you see.

Wet wipes or Alochol wipes then a micro cloth. but like said in the Sun a hood or hand over. you'll get used to the lens flare over time Lol

Hero 8 black.
Thank you for replying, Fish :)

Are you suggesting that I take the lens protector off to see if it is the lens protector that is causing the problem?

If it is entirely a feature of the camera then I have a silicon case that will help a little (I couldn't find anything on Google about lens hoods for the GoPro Hero 8).

Also, I've recently purchased a foam covering to help with wind noise.

I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but even if it doesn't help with wind noise then I'm sure it'll help with lens flare:

Foam Windslayer Housing Case for GoPro Hero 8 Wind: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Other than that, I'll just have to get used to sunny "fingerprints" :)

John Latter

·
Administrator
9,729 Posts
Lens flare next time in the Sun face to it and you'll see it or to the Side. nothing you can do to wipe it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lens flare next time in the Sun face to it and you'll see it or to the Side. nothing you can do to wipe it out.
If it's something that nothing can be done about then I'm quite happy with that - thank you for explaining it to me!

Pity it wasn't something interesting like a UFO, though... ( :) )

·
Administrator
9,729 Posts
Lol. you get used to it over time, not the biggest fan of it, glad you are getting to know the camera.

·
Administrator
9,729 Posts
Update on this, are you enjoying the resolution given and how it works. do not forget to share a vid or two at the site. thanks
FISH.

·
Administrator
9,729 Posts
Thanks for getting back be nice in here as its the topic for you that was resolved, (Smiles)

FISH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for getting back be nice in here as its the topic for you that was resolved, (Smiles)

FISH
I don't understand, Fish - am I not being nice?

I just wanted to be sure about which forum to post Hero 8 videos in.

·
Administrator
9,729 Posts
all you, this round on me. the next post is all you if you want to share a vid to the topic or not your option , plane and simple (WINK) get some O2 if its difficult to understand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it's something that nothing can be done about then I'm quite happy with that - thank you for explaining it to me!

Pity it wasn't something interesting like a UFO, though... ( :) )
Please provide EXIF info on posted pic. I ran the print through my Bat-Cave database, and it appears to belong to Jimmy Hoffa. :)

Sent from my Acer Chromebook 15 (CB3-532) using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts