GoPro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What a show $349.00 Dec 15th WOW!

Preorders https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-pocket?site=brandsite&from=buy_now_bar&vid=48141

Photos: Sean O’Kane / The VergeDJI’s newest product, the Osmo Pocket, is the smallest handheld stabilizer the drone / camera company has made. It takes a bunch of things the Chinese company has done really well and puts them into an impressively small form factor. It’s meant to offer drone-like footage in a size that is comparable to a GoPro (even if it can’t take the same kinds of wear and tear). The Osmo Pocket costs $349 and ships December 15th.
The Osmo Pocket stands just four inches tall and weighs barely over four ounces (116g). When you turn it off, the gimbal tilts the camera on end so that the whole system can fit into a small case, which then easily slides into a pocket — hence the name.
LIKE A MAVIC AIR THAT CAN’T FLY
Instead of using the large Zenmuse camera found on the original Osmo or a smartphone as the camera like with the Osmo Mobile, the Pocket borrows more from the camera and gimbal tech found on the company’s smaller drones, like the Mavic Air.
The camera that sits on the three-axis gimbal uses a 1/2.3-inch sensor and can capture 4K footage at up to 60 frames per second at 100Mbps. DJI says the Osmo Pocket will last for up to two hours shooting in 4K at a slightly lower frame rate of 30 fps. The Osmo Pocket also captures 12-megapixel photos, and it has dual microphones for recording audio.
GRID VIEW

2 of 13

There’s a tiny one-inch touchscreen on the Osmo Pocket where users can frame their shot or toggle through settings. It’s a bit hard to make out at arm’s length, but users can also plug their iPhone or Android phone (it comes with USB-C and Apple Lightning adapters) into a modular port on the side of the Osmo Pocket for a bigger viewing screen and more granular controls, using the company’s new app. While it may be smaller than previous DJI stabilizers, the Osmo Pocket still offers some of the company’s advanced shooting modes, too, like object tracking, face tracking, time-lapse, and auto panorama.
DJI also plans to sell a number of accessories for the Osmo Pocket. There’s a mount that will let users attach it to things, GoPro-style, as well as a Wi-Fi controller, a set of ND filters, a waterproof case, an extension rod, and a 3.5mm adapter for external microphones. Also coming soon is a carrying case with a battery that can charge the Osmo Pocket while stored. You can find pictures of those accessories at the bottom of DJI’s product page.

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After watching clips on YT. Lithium bat. sound is okay, 2:20 min life hmm on a 850 mah 7.4v bat? I do not like push slide pins. and being super slim and small. Like one Person said. this is a vloggers camera, and gopro is an Action camera they differ.

I do not want additional stuff to lug, remove from a case and still have bulk even though it's a soft case. Having the features of face recognition tracking is awesome. Guess in time I may decide, I just hold strong, my will power is strong and say no thank you P A S S on this.

for what I do. no need for more. looks awesome t hat is about it.

FISH

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sd card slot is on her did you see that or referring to the smartphone attachment part.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm still waiting for those crowd funded tiny wonder drones. The ones pictured being launched gently from your palm like a little bird. They were supposed to follow you and film you with almost thought control AI simplicity. Seen any flying in your neighborhood lately? Ahem....

Yes, it's possible now for a zillion manufacturers to do variations on the Gopro theme. And not everyone needs a true action camera, nor super wide angle FOV. We're going to see this kind of thing proliferate for a while until the producers begin to understand what it is that the broader market really wants vs. the niche markets.

To be honest, I'm finding the 360 cams of interest. When their prices come down, their processing needs get more practical, I think that's what's going to prevail. Their stabilization is already rivaling a lot of gimbal products from what I see in videos.

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I invest in silly string. enough to land those suckers.

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EIS IOS and machanical at low level times no one shwn that so far Lol

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is a excellent review to watch enjoyed the presentation and all?

and Iphonedo is another off the dge one that demonstrates the camera etc.

·
Banned
118 Posts
I don't like the look of the Osmo video. A fan of nice skies like we get here in NC. GoPro has that down! Against the 7 with Hypersmooth the GoPro seemed more stable and clearer. FOV differences. At night hypersmooth is not advised so using it then between increased iso needs and blur if you hold that back the Osmo should prevail. Some of its shots seemed blurred. Not sure if inherent, or smudge on the lens or if focus was bad. The lens is one stop faster than GoPros (F2.0 vs F2.8) and so the depth of field will be smaller (assuming fixed aperture for the Osmo, the GoPro is fixed aperture and focus).

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Story tellers noted info that the F stop was 2.0 to 2.2 and the Osmo has defocus background, the FOV narrower, andso on.

IMHO: its the smallest machanical gimbal camera on hte market. and will not NOT be in my Pocket ( said Pocket Lol) and the sound is to be desired.

·
Administrator
2,846 Posts
I know people keep comparing the GoPro to the OSMO, but the GoPro and the Pocket are for two different use cases.

The GoPro is an action camera - a great wearable device for capturing action shots etc. In this regard it excels. When it comes to panning and slow moving panning shots in particular, it's rubbish.
Thats where the Pocket comes in. The OSMO Pocket is more a handheld unit for vlogging, capturing your surroundings, capturing video of the family on holiday, etc. Imagine walking along the beach and trying to track a child run along and around you. With the GoPro as soon as you pan around you'll get jerky video, unless you switch stabilisation off completely. With the pocket you switch on ActivTrack, and no matter where the child runs around the camera will perfectly follow and stabilise as you just hold and walk.

They compliment each other, so personally I cant see the Pocket replacing the GoPro, yet working alongside it.

First impressions are seriously impressive. It's amazing how they fit so much into such a small package. Had a quick play connecting to my iPhone, which worked perfectly, and the face tracking as well as ActivTrack works brilliantly well. Yet too see what the video quality is like......

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
limitations. on nay camera. push pass the limits fails to do the job?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts