GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Haven't had the chance to

Haven't had the chance to scuba dive with my GoPro yet, but I've done some freediving down to 30'. The only recommendation/issue is that the stock rounded lens on the waterproof case causes a slightly out-of-focus picture when completely submerged in water. It still looks good underwater, just not quite as crisp as it does above water.

The remedy for this issue is to use a flat lense on the housing in place of the rounded one. You can buy the modified housings with a flat lense from aftermarket companies like Eye Of Mine: http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/underwater/index.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
diving

Thanks for that...it is something I would not have thought of. And thanks for the tip on how to cure it too.
I am going on holiday very soon and will be diving,so I will try it out and see if I get the same result. I will try to post a photo or two
after I get back.

Rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
diverobin wrote:Thanks for

diverobin said:
Thanks for that...it is something I would not have thought of. And thanks for the tip on how to cure it too.
I am going on holiday very soon and will be diving,so I will try it out and see if I get the same result. I will try to post a photo or two
after I get back.

Rob
Hi Rob,

A GoPro with the modified flat-lens housing will work really well for diving. Do you plan to mount the camera somehow or are you going to hold it by hand? The GoPro head strap mount seems to work great for diving and spearfishing.

Have fun and look forward to seeing the pics and video!

Cheers,

Justin

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey man, just came back from

hey man,

just came back from a dive trip with my first trip with the camera. Here's a vid i put together on a shark dive in honduras. i was a little disappointed with the colour under water to be honest, too much blue, with reef or small stuff your not getting much definition, but the big stuff looks ok. I do want to try that flat lens replacement, i think it might help. but im being an *******, because for what this camera does as a consumer affordable cam - im not gonna bitch. I left it on full hd r5 setting, i cant see any reason why i would use anything else ..? also i used the head mount for a few dives but i found it better to hand hold mount it for better confidence of shot. The colour above ground is great. Pretty pleased with it. Theres another vid on that site from a white water adventure where the cam was in and on the water and has a good contrast of colour. I took a bunch of custom mounts with me and had some fun with it.
Have fun, good luck.
Cheers

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="720" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vIuyCTTWWxc?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi joyride,
you should

Hi joyride,

you should purchase the flat lens kit and a red filter to avoid the ''too much blue'' effect. I attached additional information for all the members of the forum who live in Europe.

From my personal experience, I live in Spain and the main problem for European Union members is to locate dealers for the GoPro flat lense that directly ship the lense kits from Europe. The goal is to void all kind of problems (like: customs, high shipping costs, lost items, shipping periods of several weeks, items out of stock, etc. ) buying this items from USA and other Non-European countries (www.eyeofmine.com, etc).

I did some researches and finally located on eBay a guy who's selling this flat lense kits. He has stock, ship's fast and the quality of the lense is really good. I'm using it a few weeks now and I'm really happy with the quality.

Flat Lense

Flat Lense installed on a Housing (Tested)

I just want to make clear that I don't have any thing to do with this dealer and I only want to help other european memebers to located this ''hard to find'' lenses wich are relatively easy to fin in USA and AU.

I attached a picture of the flat lense I bought and wich I personally mounted on my stantdard GoPro case without problems. (It's Iphone picture quality, sorry)

Finally, I also want to share a video (wich I'm really impressed of), basically it's the GoPro submerged on a drinking trough for cows or horses. Really nice shot:

PS: Sorry for my bad english. I did my best :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joyride, your depth also has

Joyride, your depth also has a big effect on the BLUE color. The deeper you go, you lose color. If you were in shallow water, the colors would have come out more and it would not be as blue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
streetjudge79 wrote:Joyride,

streetjudge79 said:
Joyride, your depth also has a big effect on the BLUE color. The deeper you go, you lose color. If you were in shallow water, the colors would have come out more and it would not be as blue.
If you want to correct the ''too much blue'' on your gopro footages then you should use this kind of filters:

http://goproforums.com/content/color-correction-filters-gopro-hd

Greetz,

Jaime

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe a cheaper solution to the unsharpness problem is to take the rounded lens out of the underwater housing and replacing it with a round piece of flat glass. That will give a wider field of view and will be sharp focussed under and above water and that glass will be really cheap to replace in case of scratches. Has anyone tried this? (where is my dremel).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.