GoPro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I recently purchased a GoPro Hero 10, thinking this would be a great camera to document some off-road adventures in my truck. My Tacoma even came with a GoPro mount on the inside of the windshield on the passenger side. I encountered the overheating issue, so I connected it to an external power source and removed the battery to mitigate that. I've turned off anything I didn't think I needed: GPS, Front screen, Voice control, Beeps, Quik capture, etc. However, I have it set to maximum video performance, which might be the problem, but the other two options, extended battery and tripod modes, didn't seem to fit what I was doing.

I have a few questions that hopefully you can help me with.
1. Recording at 4k, 60fps, linear only records about 8 minutes worth of film and then restarts the video. A 40-minute drive and I have five individual videos. How do I get more extended periods of filming?
2. Looking at the video after uploading to the Quik cloud, it seems to stutter a lot. This is using a v30 microSD card. I've tried SanDisk and Lexar brands, which experience the same thing. Am I doing something wrong here? It looks like the issue was the playback using Quik; while trimming a small piece to capture the stuttering, it never stuttered.

Finally, it is more of a video-taker question than the Hero 10, filming from inside the truck. When I record the drive from the GoPro mount, the camera seems to pick up all the windshield imperfections from road travel, sand, etc. What do you folk do to mitigate that, short of putting the camera outside? I've included a screen grab with the more blaring imperfections I could get.

Thank you!

Sky Car Plant Motor vehicle Road surface

Registered
You'll never avoid your windshield imperfections, your camera looks at it just like you do, the closer to the glass however, the better it will be.

Afaik, there's no way around the ~8 minute videos, which is actually a good thing. This way your entire shoot won't get corrupted (hopefully). It's easy enough to meld them together in editing software. If you don't think so, you're just not used to it yet馃檪. Besides, you'll most likely only use segments of easy video as opposed to including all the boring stuff, such as what is in your example photo, I mean, who wants to watch a video of driving down a straight highway. Capiche'?

Administrator
If you head to goprolabs and want longer chapters you can do so.

for the inside to outside, you can try Long pressing the back of the camera called Exposure lock and can level out the look, you may need to use a ND/CPL filter that will cut the glare, a CPL you will need to adjust he filter

For setting up the camera to not overheat well, not much we can do. if you look at the performance settings, they arejust you doing what you did, turning things down, you can turn it all down but the overheat comes from the chip and waterproof camera for me did quite well all summer no overheating but I do not shoot 40 minute clips, gopro suggests 70 seco clips GEE

congrats and we are here to help

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll never avoid your windshield imperfections, your camera looks at it just like you do, the closer to the glass however, the better it will be.

Afaik, there's no way around the ~8 minute videos, which is actually a good thing. This way your entire shoot won't get corrupted (hopefully). It's easy enough to meld them together in editing software. If you don't think so, you're just not used to it yet馃檪. Besides, you'll most likely only use segments of easy video as opposed to including all the boring stuff, such as what is in your example photo, I mean, who wants to watch a video of driving down a straight highway. Capiche'?
Thank you! I never came across anything online that said the camera would do this every 8 mins and 54 secs, so I was second-guessing myself. I'm sure I wasn't looking hard enough.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you head to goprolabs and want longer chapters you can do so.

for the inside to outside, you can try Long pressing the back of the camera called Exposure lock and can level out the look, you may need to use a ND/CPL filter that will cut the glare, a CPL you will need to adjust he filter

For setting up the camera to not overheat well, not much we can do. if you look at the performance settings, they arejust you doing what you did, turning things down, you can turn it all down but the overheat comes from the chip and waterproof camera for me did quite well all summer no overheating but I do not shoot 40 minute clips, gopro suggests 70 seco clips GEE

congrats and we are here to help
Thank you for the tips!

Registered
I do the same in my Jeep. Can't eliminate the bugs and dirt on the windshield. Anyone interested in that type of content likely won't care. On mine I went down a step in resolution and it cured a lot of the overheating. Another thing was I turn on my camera when I come to an interesting spot like a hill climb or a giant mud spot. Otherwise you have edit a lot or have a super long video which is maybe boring.

Registered
Thank you! I never came across anything online that said the camera would do this every 8 mins and 54 secs, so I was second-guessing myself. I'm sure I wasn't looking hard enough.
I had read something eluding to it, but until I actually got the camera and recorded my ~1/2 hour ride to work and back, I didn't know what they were talking about. When I came to end of first video, my first thought was of all the overheating talk, but I didn't experience that. Then saw the next video picked up where first one left off. I'm pretty sure these things are a non stop learning curve.

What helps me is having the remote and glancing at it to see it's still recording. Cause I don't always have the camera in view. I too turn off most everything to help reduce heat. I have yet to experience heat issues. But I did notice the last ~1hour session, after turning off camera, the camera got hotter off than it was on, and it didn't cool until I removed the battery. Since then I've set up to use camera with no battery, power from charger adapter in accessory outlet that I installed ony bike(because the OEM harness wouldn't allow enough volts/amps to operate camera, unlike my vehicle 's accessory outlet).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts